WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

West Point
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
West Point
My son is 16, and has the numbers to put him in a good position for an appointment to West Point or Annapolis. He has enthusiastically expressed a desire to attend one of those institutions, and has begun the process. At first I shared his enthusiasm, as I thought it would be a tremendous education, cost free, and the experience he would have as an officer in the service would be priceless. He had been considering WMU, and probably still is, but is pretty gung ho about West Point right now. He would likely major in engineering.

I am beginning to have some reservations about this. I still think it would be a great thing in most respects, but now am considering some of the drawbacks. My guess is that some of my Bronco brethren have some insight into the service academies, and I would love to here your perspective. He is a very fit and athletic kid, very bright, somewhat quiet, and talented in many artistic respects as well (outstanding guitarist and artist). I don't want him to make a career out of the artistic interests he has, but I don't want anyone to stifle that either.
04-15-2015 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: West Point
My best friend in high school went to West Point. He dropped out after 1 1/2 years. Tom was the smartest guy I knew, dad worked for Jerry Ford who wrote his recommendation. Tom didn't like it at all, too regimented, too focused, not open to non regulation thinking. Tom came back to WMU, got a Psychology Masters, moved out east to Newport, became a stockbroker, now a wealthy man.

Had a guy work for me that had dropped out of Annapolis. He was a wrestler. Amazingly his reason for leaving was "those guys are animals, just vicious bloodthirsty animals". His conscience would not let him continue. He came to WMU Aviation and is now a pilot at the major airline level.

I'm sure there are many with different experiences, good people no doubt. I'd be very careful about the Air Force Academy, continuing problems there with sexism, cheating, racism.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 01:34 PM by Dirty Ernie.)
04-15-2015 01:32 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(04-15-2015 01:32 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  I'd be very careful about the Air Force Academy, continuing problems there with sexism, cheating, racism.

Thought I heard (or watched a special?) about similar problems at West Point also, but I could be wrong.
04-15-2015 02:48 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
My brother was in the Air Force Academy and he loved it. If you're undisciplined and not goal oriented it's not for you, however.

Have two close friends, one graduated from West Point and the other from Annapolis, both loved it but noted classes are very competitive.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 03:13 PM by BroncoPhilly.)
04-15-2015 03:10 PM
Advertisement

chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
My brother graduated from West Point. It is grueling, both mentally and physically, but if you can survive the 1st year it gets progressively easier. He almost quit about 2 months into it, called home to have my parents go pick him up. My dad hung the phone up on him, so he had little choice but to stay.

You need to be able to put up with a lot of bull**** stuff. Have to recite memorized crap at chow, have to be able to take the harassment from upperclassmen, and have to participate in some type of athletics, from boxing to skiing, lightweight football, etc. Little to no time off, and you walk the yard for the smallest infractions. Sleep is a luxury.

It seems that lifetime bonds are formed with classmates, since my brother gets together with classmates at organized events at least a couple of times each year, and he has been out of there since 1971.

If you want to get in touch with him with questions, let me know. I would be happy to get you connected. It's a big decision and you want to be sure it is really what you want.
04-15-2015 04:53 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

If your son is interested in serving our country through military service, I don't see why he wouldn't pursue the academies. Both West Point and Annapolis are two of the best schools in the world. If you're not interested in the military service, you'd probably hate it.
04-15-2015 05:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(04-15-2015 02:48 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(04-15-2015 01:32 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  I'd be very careful about the Air Force Academy, continuing problems there with sexism, cheating, racism.

Thought I heard (or watched a special?) about similar problems at West Point also, but I could be wrong.

I don't know about West Point but the Naval Academy has been going through the same crap. It's been all over the news here.
04-16-2015 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.