Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

State of ETSU Athletic Facilities
Bookmark and Share
brock20 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
State of ETSU Athletic Facilities
I have heard on here a few times about Summers-Taylor, Thomas Stadium and Bassler Field not being completed. What is still left to do at those places? Are there plans for the JC Cardinals to make Thomas Stadium their home?
04-15-2015 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

buc73 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
RE: State of ETSU Athletic Facilities
Bassler Field - No Press Box, very little parking and no room to expand. Stadium was crammed on a postage stamp field.

Thomas Stadium - Press Box is built on ground level. Its on the same level as walk areas. They have to chain off the area in front of press box so announcers can see the field. Not enough private boxes. No presidents box. No concession space. The design of the building is nice, just not big enough and not two stories.

Don't know much about Summers-Taylor except that the soccer stadium and two practice fields were turned the wrong way and there were problems with disability access. They take up a huge area and have made it difficult to plan the football stadium and the outdoor track. Outdoor track and soccer could have occupied the same area and used the same stadium as has been done at many other colleges and universities.

This is why I mentioned in another post about Dr. Noland/Dr. Sander hiring a professional sports architect to plan the football stadium.

mullins and his local cronies screwed up the entire sports master plan. ETSU will now have to spend monies to renovate, at some later date, nearly new facilities. Not only did mullins screw up the sports program, he messed up the facilities also. What a waste of money. Way to go dave.
04-15-2015 03:10 PM
Buc66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(04-15-2015 03:10 PM)buc73 Wrote:  Bassler Field - No Press Box, very little parking and no room to expand. Stadium was crammed on a postage stamp field.

Thomas Stadium - Press Box is built on ground level. Its on the same level as walk areas. They have to chain off the area in front of press box so announcers can see the field. Not enough private boxes. No presidents box. No concession space. The design of the building is nice, just not big enough and not two stories.

Don't know much about Summers-Taylor except that the soccer stadium and two practice fields were turned the wrong way and there were problems with disability access. They take up a huge area and have made it difficult to plan the football stadium and the outdoor track. Outdoor track and soccer could have occupied the same area and used the same stadium as has been done at many other colleges and universities.

This is why I mentioned in another post about Dr. Noland/Dr. Sander hiring a professional sports architect to plan the football stadium.

mullins and his local cronies screwed up the entire sports master plan. ETSU will now have to spend monies to renovate, at some later date, nearly new facilities. Not only did mullins screw up the sports program, he messed up the facilities also. What a waste of money. Way to go dave.

Do you remember those clowns actually had an $80 mil athletic capital campaign on paper that was sort of half way announced within a year of dropping football -- that did include a new basketball arena. Their promise was to build these little projects first before the arena.
04-15-2015 03:31 PM
brock20 Offline
Special Teams

(04-15-2015 03:10 PM)buc73 Wrote:  Bassler Field - No Press Box, very little parking and no room to expand. Stadium was crammed on a postage stamp field.

Who did they hire to do the design work for those complexes?
04-15-2015 06:05 PM

Buc66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(04-15-2015 06:05 PM)brock20 Wrote:  

A cousin of Mullins.
04-15-2015 06:20 PM
brock20 Offline
Special Teams

(04-15-2015 06:20 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

A cousin of Mullins.

Really?
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 07:13 PM by brock20.)
04-15-2015 07:08 PM
etsubuc Offline
1st String

I actually think that they did a very good job with the softball stadium. They look a lot that they owned which would be literally good for nothing else and put a serviceable softball stadium on it. 500 seats are plenty, and I do not foresee any need for expansion.

I also think that they did a good job with the baseball stadium. My biggest complaint on that place is the size of the net which extends all the way to the ends of the sideline seats. Concession area is small but is all that will ever be needed. I have heard nothing but good things to say about that place, and they do a good job making it a nice place to watch a game.

Summers-Taylor was messed up from the start but I think they got the disability issues, etc. fixed finally. Yes the orientation makes it difficult for other things such as football, but Mullins & Stanton had no anticipation of football's return or else they wouldn't have even put the soccer stadium in that general area. That was a perfect spot for the football stadium. But that is the location and the orientation indicated on the master plan at the time.

Bottom line is that I believe our facilities are a very big advantage for us going forward. We need a solution for basketball but everything else is in good shape which will look great if we need to change conferences again in the hopefully near future.
04-15-2015 07:45 PM

Seattle Bucs Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-15-2015 03:10 PM)buc73 Wrote:  This is why I mentioned in another post about Dr. Noland/Dr. Sander hiring a professional sports architect to plan the football stadium.

That's what I'd like to know.
04-15-2015 08:34 PM
brock20 Offline
Special Teams

(04-15-2015 08:34 PM)Seattle Bucs Wrote:  
(04-15-2015 03:10 PM)buc73 Wrote:  This is why I mentioned in another post about Dr. Noland/Dr. Sander hiring a professional sports architect to plan the football stadium.

That's what I'd like to know.

According to Wikipedia it was Ken Ross Architects http://www.kenross.com/ . If you go to the site and then look under in progress, it shows a picture of the design and it is much different than what is actually out there. Maybe there is still lots of things that are to big added.
04-16-2015 07:25 AM
ETSUAlumni Offline
Special Teams

There are no dressing/locker rooms there. Players have to get dressed at dome.
04-16-2015 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.