Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty First FCS Program to Cover Cost of Attendance
FargoBison Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU and MN
Cost of attendance hits the FCS...I think NDSU will likely follow soon.....

Quote:Sources told FootballScoop tonight that Liberty, an FCS program located in Lynchburg Virginia, will become the first FCS program to provide “cost of attendance” dollars to their athletes.

Following the “power five” conferences’ lead, Liberty, which has been rumored to be looking to move up, is taking the bold step of possibly being the only FCS program to cover these costs, which some estimates project at nearly $2 million to the university.

Sources tell FootballScoop that Liberty has begun to inform their student athletes of the decision and will begin making the payments this Fall.

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-lib...ttendance/
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2015 08:10 PM by FargoBison.)
04-13-2015 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Liberty First FCS Program to Cover Cost of Attendance
Using Online ripoff education funds to finance this
04-13-2015 08:30 PM
insomniaisevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC and NKU
(04-13-2015 08:30 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Using Online ripoff education funds to finance this

I've always tried to understand the hatred towards Liberty's online program. They are full accredited, offer legit programs and are very reasonably priced. As someone who looked pretty heavily into furthering my education online, they were a heavily considered option.

I don't get the hatred that goes their way for that. Is it just because of the hate for Fallwell (which is obviously legit) or is it because people have something against online education in general? This has never made sense to me.
04-13-2015 08:37 PM
SlyFox Online
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
There is a bit of the former for dbackjon. But we love him anyway.

If anyone needed further evidence that Liberty is serious about stepping up then I believe the case is now closed. Honestly, how many FCS schools have the resources to pull this off? I have a feeling it is going tobe a relatively short list.
04-13-2015 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knucklehead Offline
1st String

What you think Sly over under 10 FCS programs.
04-13-2015 10:15 PM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(04-13-2015 10:15 PM)knucklehead Wrote:  What you think Sly over under 10 FCS programs.

Under. AS P5 versus FCS games become fewer it will break many in the FCS ranks
04-13-2015 10:47 PM
Advertisement

knucklehead Offline
1st String

(04-13-2015 10:47 PM)billings Wrote:  
(04-13-2015 10:15 PM)knucklehead Wrote:  What you think Sly over under 10 FCS programs.

Will JMU?
04-14-2015 06:36 AM
SlyFox Online
1st String

I suspect some FCS leagues will ban the use of COA which will make it easy for some schools to say we can't do it. It will be interesting to see how the CAA & Big Sky approach this matter. So I would take the under right now.
04-14-2015 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-14-2015 06:36 AM)knucklehead Wrote:  
(04-13-2015 10:47 PM)billings Wrote:  

Will JMU?

they can't.
04-14-2015 08:32 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: Liberty First FCS Program to Cover Cost of Attendance
(04-13-2015 08:37 PM)insomniaisevil Wrote:  
(04-13-2015 08:30 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Using Online ripoff education funds to finance this

I've always tried to understand the hatred towards Liberty's online program. They are full accredited, offer legit programs and are very reasonably priced. As someone who looked pretty heavily into furthering my education online, they were a heavily considered option.

I don't get the hatred that goes their way for that. Is it just because of the hate for Fallwell (which is obviously legit) or is it because people have something against online education in general? This has never made sense to me.

Most of the hate comes from the fact its a Christian based school. Most in opposition are atheists with an agenda. Most atheists are not this way but you do have some that want to take things to the extreme.
04-14-2015 08:33 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(04-14-2015 08:13 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  I suspect some FCS leagues will ban the use of COA which will make it easy for some schools to say we can't do it. It will be interesting to see how the CAA & Big Sky approach this matter. So I would take the under right now.

CAA has already voted against the FCOA, so I can assume that they will also ban it.
04-14-2015 08:59 AM
Advertisement

FargoBison Offline
2nd String

(04-14-2015 08:13 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  I suspect some FCS leagues will ban the use of COA which will make it easy for some schools to say we can't do it. It will be interesting to see how the CAA & Big Sky approach this matter. So I would take the under right now.

(04-14-2015 08:59 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

CAA has already voted against the FCOA, so I can assume that they will also ban it.

I've heard that conferences will not ban it because doing so could leave them open to legal issues and that is directly from our AD.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 01:13 PM by FargoBison.)
04-14-2015 12:37 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2015 12:37 PM)FargoBison Wrote:  

(04-14-2015 08:59 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

I've heard that conferences will not ban it because doing so could leave them open to a legal issues and that is directly from our AD.

Interesting.

Let me rephrase then. The CAA members as a whole will not support FCOA, and I doubt any school will pull a Liberty.
04-14-2015 01:02 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
You have to give Liberty credit, it is a brilliant move. This moves them up on other FCS schools offering scholarships. Helps them jump ahead of other schools wanting to jump to FBS. It is a difficult argument to say there are financial concerns about Liberty making the move to FBS if they are offering CCOA. Turning them down to a school that does not offer this is basically saying we don't want you for your Religious Views which is clearly against the law. This probably will help them FBS Independent status. Would cause a lot less headaches for the NCAA to let Liberty in as an independent and do a BYU. With UMASS, ARMY and what looks to be Idaho, there are three teams they should be able to schedule with. If a school is willing to do CCOA, seems only fair to let them in FBS. How many other FCS programs really can do this. If Liberty is the only one, does seem like they should be with the other football schools offering CCOA.

Does someone know if other FCS are even financially capable of offering this? IE: Schools like NDSU, EKU, JMU, etc...
04-14-2015 02:45 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-13-2015 09:29 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  There is a bit of the former for dbackjon. But we love him anyway.

If anyone needed further evidence that Liberty is serious about stepping up then I believe the case is now closed. Honestly, how many FCS schools have the resources to pull this off? I have a feeling it is going tobe a relatively short list.

Love you too, Sly Fox :)

Objections for me:

1) Schools like GCU and Liberty use the on-line programs to garner hundreds of millions of federal dollars in pell grants, VA Student grants, etc, while using the profits from these to finance the rest of the college, including athletics. SO I am paying for the FCOA with my tax dollars, at a school that discriminates and uses those tax dollars to try to influence others to discriminate. And like other on-line accredited diploma mills, the degrees are many times worthless in the real world (Bible Studies, etc) - churning out far more grads in areas than there is demand for.
04-14-2015 02:55 PM
FargoBison Offline
2nd String

(04-14-2015 02:45 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  You have to give Liberty credit, it is a brilliant move. This moves them up on other FCS schools offering scholarships. Helps them jump ahead of other schools wanting to jump to FBS. It is a difficult argument to say there are financial concerns about Liberty making the move to FBS if they are offering CCOA. Turning them down to a school that does not offer this is basically saying we don't want you for your Religious Views which is clearly against the law. This probably will help them FBS Independent status. Would cause a lot less headaches for the NCAA to let Liberty in as an independent and do a BYU. With UMASS, ARMY and what looks to be Idaho, there are three teams they should be able to schedule with. If a school is willing to do CCOA, seems only fair to let them in FBS. How many other FCS programs really can do this. If Liberty is the only one, does seem like they should be with the other football schools offering CCOA.

Does someone know if other FCS are even financially capable of offering this? IE: Schools like NDSU, EKU, JMU, etc...

From what I can tell NDSU is the only other FCS school talking about this publicly, others are either apprehensive about it or in a wait and see mode.

NDSU recruits against the MAC and to a lesser extent the MWC, so the football program kind of needs it.
04-14-2015 03:34 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2015 02:55 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(04-13-2015 09:29 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  There is a bit of the former for dbackjon. But we love him anyway.

Objections for me:

1) Schools like GCU and Liberty use the on-line programs to garner hundreds of millions of federal dollars in pell grants, VA Student grants, etc, while using the profits from these to finance the rest of the college, including athletics. SO I am paying for the FCOA with my tax dollars, at a school that discriminates and uses those tax dollars to try to influence others to discriminate. And like other on-line accredited diploma mills, the degrees are many times worthless in the real world (Bible Studies, etc) - churning out far more grads in areas than there is demand for.

An article from 2011, when Liberty had 52,000 online students, stated they received nearly $500 million in federal tuition assistance. With nearly twice as many online students now, they are receiving closer to $1 billion in federal money.

Think about that for a second....a PRIVATE supposed "not for profit school" that was nearly bankrupt in 2007 is receiving $1 billion/year tax free from the US government from online students, the vast majority of which will never graduate.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 03:42 PM by JMU2004.)
04-14-2015 03:41 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-14-2015 08:33 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

Most of the hate comes from the fact its a Christian based school. Most in opposition are atheists with an agenda. Most atheists are not this way but you do have some that want to take things to the extreme.

All of this + when Liberty succeeds, the hate grows even bigger.
04-14-2015 03:56 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(04-14-2015 03:41 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 02:55 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Objections for me:

An article from 2011, when Liberty had 52,000 online students, stated they received nearly $500 million in federal tuition assistance. With nearly twice as many online students now, they are receiving closer to $1 billion in federal money.

Think about that for a second....a PRIVATE supposed "not for profit school" that was nearly bankrupt in 2007 is receiving $1 billion/year tax free from the US government from online students, the vast majority of which will never graduate.

Wait, shouldn't you be mad at the people who choose to attend LU and receive the money rather than Liberty itself?
04-14-2015 04:07 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: Liberty First FCS Program to Cover Cost of Attendance
(04-14-2015 03:56 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 08:33 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

All of this + when Liberty succeeds, the hate grows even bigger.

Very true.
04-14-2015 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.