Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Junior college transfer Farad Cobb makes mark as a Cincinnati Bearcat
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Junior college transfer Farad Cobb makes mark as a Cincinnati Bearcat
includes brief comments on the impact of the assistant coaches which may be of interest for those clamoring for change.

Quote: Junior college transfer makes mark as a Cincinnati Bearcat
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:46 pm | Updated: 9:34 pm, Tue Apr 7, 2015.
Jaelynne Johnson | Sports Editor

Transferring to the University of Cincinnati from Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, Florida, was just the next step for junior guard Farad Cobb on his journey to becoming a successful collegiate basketball player.

In Florida, Cobb was an asset to the Raiders; he finished the 2013-14 season with an averaged team-best 15.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists. He also shot 51.1 percent from the field and 46.3 percent from the three-point range.

The six-foot-one, 175 pound native of West Palm Beach, Florida, chose to attend Cincinnati because it was a “good situation” and he felt that he could make an impact on the team right away.

Although he grew up in a tough neighborhood and environment in which he was exposed to a lot of drugs and violence, Cobb described his younger self as an outgoing person who liked making others laugh. He was also popular, athletic, and active with a protective shell — aspects that were still very evident as we talked Monday evening in Cobb’s home at University Park Apartments.

Cobb started watching basketball at the age of five and looked up to players like Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan. It was not until he was 8 years old that he started to play the sport himself.

“I thought it was fun [at that age]. I always worked hard and even practiced by myself,” Cobb said. “My older brother, Ricky, started to train me in my early stages, and then I began to take it serious in middle school.”

Cobb is the son of Rita and Willie and is the youngest of four brothers. He just celebrated his 22nd birthday on Easter Sunday.

He and his father had a close relationship, but at age 10, Cobb’s world changed completely when his father died from kidney failure. He was 38 years old.

“My favorite memory of him is when he would always tell me that he wants to see me play on TV,” Cobb said. “He serves as my motivation to make it to the collegiate level of basketball and after.”

Cobb’s junior season came to an end when the University of Kentucky Wildcats defeated Cincinnati 64-51 on March 21 in the round 32 of the NCAA March Madness Tournament. He finished the 2014-15 season with averages of 8.2 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists

Cobb enjoys the city of Cincinnati, especially the zoo and Kings Island. He quickly captured the hearts of Bearcat fans, and he soon heard the crowd cheering for him to shoot the ball at games — one of his favorite moments of being on the court. He is also fond of his frequent Twitter shout outs from UC President Santa Ono.

Cobb is close to all of his Bearcat teammates, but found himself developing a tighter relationship with freshman Gary Clark.

“Since we were both the new guys to the program, we just naturally became close,” Cobb said. “We have a lot in common, like fishing, and we both have laid-back personalities.”

Like with his teammates, Cobb also said that he has a good relationship with his coaches.

“You can talk to them about more than just basketball; they are honest with you, and they are good motivators,” Cobb said. “With [head coach] Mick Cronin, you can be yourself around him. He is extremely funny and makes good Italian sausage on the grill.

“[Associate head coach] Larry Davis gives good history stories before the games and is very encouraging. [Assistant coach] Darren Savino recruited me. We have a close relationship. I talk to him about everything and he is really funny. [Assistant coach Antwon] Jackson always educates me about the game; he’ll send me an article or tell me to watch videos — they are all cool.”

When he isn’t practicing, lifting weights or preparing for a game, Cobb enjoys taking trips, fishing, playing pool and loves to eat seafood and pastas — his favorite restaurant is Joe’s Crab Shack.

Although he will only be playing for Cincinnati for two years, Cobb has big plans for his short time at the university.

“I want to make it to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament, graduate, and I want to be remembered as a good player for the University of Cincinnati,” he said.

Upon graduating from UC with a degree in communications, Cobb has plans on playing basketball professionally. Once he retires from the NBA, he wants to open his own training facility and train basketball athletes.

The News Record (with pics)

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 11:23 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
04-11-2015 11:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.