America's Decay
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
America's Decay
Pretty good insights IMO.

http://www.dennisprager.com/americas-dec...eeding-up/

Quote:“Decay” is the word.

The Decline of the Family: Nearly half (48 percent) of American children are born to a mother who is not married. Forty-three percent of American children live without a father in the home.

Quote:The Decline of Education: Compared to nearly all of American history, the average American school teaches much less about important subjects such as American history, English grammar, literature, music and art. Instead, schools are teaching much more about “social justice,” environmentalism and sex.

Any of us who receive emails from large numbers of Americans can attest to the deteriorating education — including among those who attended college — in written English. In sophisticated commentary on websites as well as in email, one encounters the most basic errors: “it’s” instead of “its;” “their” instead of “there;” “then” instead of “than,” etc.

Quote:The End of Male and Female: Whatever one’s position on same-sex marriage, one must acknowledge that at the core of the argument for this redefinition of marriage is that gender doesn’t matter. Marriage is marriage, and gender means nothing, the argument goes.

Quote:The End of Right and Wrong: At least two generations of American young people have been taught that moral categories are nothing more than personal (or societal) preferences. Recently, an incredulous professor of philosophy wrote an opinion piece in the New York Times titled “Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts.”
04-09-2015 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: America's Decay
Liberals will never admit that stuff like this is decaying an entire generation, but it is. Just wait until the 20-somethings are 50-somethings and running the country.

If that doesn't make you want to move, nothing ever will.
04-09-2015 08:15 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(04-09-2015 08:15 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Liberals will never admit that stuff like this is decaying an entire generation, but it is. Just wait until the 20-somethings are 50-somethings and running the country.

They mature just like everyone else. I used to love hardcore gangsta rap when I was going up. You think at 37 years old I listen to a word of it today? Is grammar declining? I don't think internet message boards and twitter are to best arbiter to measure such a thing. you'd need to look at term papers, tech manuals and reports. I haven't seen much of a decline there.
04-09-2015 08:22 AM
PlainTiger Offline
Never odd or even

I Root For: Memphis
I dont think Ive seen it summed up this well before. We are going the way of the Roman Empire.
04-09-2015 08:24 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(04-09-2015 08:22 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:15 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Liberals will never admit that stuff like this is decaying an entire generation, but it is. Just wait until the 20-somethings are 50-somethings and running the country.

They mature just like everyone else. I used to love hardcore gangsta rap when I was going up. You think at 37 years old I listen to a word of it today? Is grammar declining? I don't think internet message boards and twitter are to best arbiter to measure such a thing. you'd need to look at term papers, tech manuals and reports. I haven't seen much of a decline there.

Today's youth are being raised as robots with absolutely no social skills whatsoever. Parents are raising children using medications, computers, television, and iPads.

Sure, the youth will mature. I myself am only 31....but I look at my peers and I cringe for the future.
04-09-2015 08:28 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
I think America is better than ever.
04-09-2015 08:48 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

You need to have more conversations with every day Americans if you doubt this. The ignorance is astounding. I've noticed it everywhere including at work in "professional letters" and when I was in college. The way some of them spoke made me wonder how in the hell they were ever admitted into university.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 08:51 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-09-2015 08:50 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(04-09-2015 08:48 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  I think America is better than ever.

Leftists don't recognize the decline they create.
04-09-2015 08:50 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(04-09-2015 08:50 AM)Paul M Wrote:  

Leftists don't recognize the decline they create.

"A fool does not delight in understanding, But only in revealing his own mind."
04-09-2015 08:53 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Impossible to know that unless you've been at an age of reason since 1776.
04-09-2015 09:02 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2015 08:50 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

You need to have more conversations with every day Americans if you doubt this. The ignorance is astounding. I've noticed it everywhere including at work in "professional letters" and when I was in college. The way some of them spoke made me wonder how in the hell they were ever admitted into university.

Well in my line of work I deal with Engineers and salesman daily. Then I need to interact with construction foreman and electricians. And finally, since I live in the sticks, I get to live with the southern drawl in the normal services that I need. I don't expect everyone to use the Queens' English, but in formal letters, journals, online news, book and even fan fiction I do expect the highest level of written communication.
04-09-2015 09:18 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2015 09:02 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

No it's quite possible to know since we have an entire subject dedicated to researching the past. Would you rather be at the poverty line today or as rich as Andrew Carnegie in at the turn of the 19th century?

When there would be a better time for an American who is black and female than right now? Even if you're a white male American I can't imagine a better time than right now.
04-09-2015 09:27 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(04-09-2015 09:27 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

No it's quite possible to know since we have an entire subject dedicated to researching the past. Would you rather be at the poverty line today or as rich as Andrew Carnegie in at the turn of the 19th century?

When there would be a better time for an American who is black and female than right now? Even if you're a white male American I can't imagine a better time than right now.

Depends how you look at it. This is certainly the best time for opportunity for an American that is black and female, but statistics show that it is the worst time for her to raise an intact family. To be fair, same can be said for whites, but at least they have a 50/50 shot. Rights have come a long way for the better, but responsibility has gone to hell in a hand basket. This is the decay. What percentage of black women grow up to have a successful marriage, or if unmarried, have no children? Odds are not very good. That is the issue we need to address and liberalism has not improved it.
04-09-2015 09:48 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

You really want to speculate if MY LIFE would be better now as compared to any year before my birth?

You really think everyone is better off now than they were even 20 years ago? Really?
04-09-2015 10:02 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
We have a lot of things that I don't like and there are better places in the world to be, but it is still home, for now at least.
04-09-2015 10:04 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2015 09:48 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Depends how you look at it. This is certainly the best time for opportunity for an American that is black and female, but statistics show that it is the worst time for her to raise an intact family. To be fair, same can be said for whites, but at least they have a 50/50 shot. Rights have come a long way for the better, but responsibility has gone to hell in a hand basket. This is the decay. What percentage of black women grow up to have a successful marriage, or if unmarried, have no children? Odds are not very good. That is the issue we need to address and liberalism has not improved it.

Well now we are on a different tangent, which is whether or not with the options afforded in today's world that the most beneficial options are selected. Two metrics that are guaranteed to ensure someone having a decent lifestyle is to graduate from high school and to not have kids until at least 22, preferable within a committed relationship. School is free and we have an unprecedented access to information while not getting pregnant is easy. Obviously we still have a lot of people choosing poorly.

So you are correct that despite the advantages afforded by the world we live in today, a good deal of people choose to indulge in instant gratification as opposed to using a future time orientation. It is hard to teach responsibility when the full consequences for bad decisions are blunted by the largess of the federal gov't. IMO more focus should be spent on guys and putting them on a path to success outside of the current educational model around 15-17 years old.
04-09-2015 10:08 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2015 10:02 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

You really want to speculate if MY LIFE would be better now as compared to any year before my birth?

You really think everyone is better off now than they were even 20 years ago? Really?

Yes really. Define the metrics and we can go from there.
04-09-2015 10:09 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(04-09-2015 08:04 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Pretty good insights IMO.

http://www.dennisprager.com/americas-dec...eeding-up/

Quote:“Decay” is the word.

The Decline of the Family: Nearly half (48 percent) of American children are born to a mother who is not married. Forty-three percent of American children live without a father in the home.

Quote:The Decline of Education: Compared to nearly all of American history, the average American school teaches much less about important subjects such as American history, English grammar, literature, music and art. Instead, schools are teaching much more about “social justice,” environmentalism and sex.

Any of us who receive emails from large numbers of Americans can attest to the deteriorating education — including among those who attended college — in written English. In sophisticated commentary on websites as well as in email, one encounters the most basic errors: “it’s” instead of “its;” “their” instead of “there;” “then” instead of “than,” etc.

Quote:The End of Male and Female: Whatever one’s position on same-sex marriage, one must acknowledge that at the core of the argument for this redefinition of marriage is that gender doesn’t matter. Marriage is marriage, and gender means nothing, the argument goes.

Quote:The End of Right and Wrong: At least two generations of American young people have been taught that moral categories are nothing more than personal (or societal) preferences. Recently, an incredulous professor of philosophy wrote an opinion piece in the New York Times titled “Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts.”

Complete B. S. Whomever wrote this didn't even bother to site where he got the information.

It's total bull.
04-09-2015 10:11 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(04-09-2015 09:18 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:50 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

Well in my line of work I deal with Engineers and salesman daily. Then I need to interact with construction foreman and electricians. And finally, since I live in the sticks, I get to live with the southern drawl in the normal services that I need. I don't expect everyone to use the Queens' English, but in formal letters, journals, online news, book and even fan fiction I do expect the highest level of written communication.

You sound like you work in a very similar field as me. I don't expect the same from workers in rural TN (where I worked) as I would in an office environment in a large city. I guess the overall point is that I've noticed a steady decline in the quality of English / grammar and the ability to put thoughts into writing (or typing) in general.

At ECU, I was shocked at how poor the public HS kids' English and grammar were. I remember a couple of incidents clearly where I was asked to proof read papers. They were literally written exactly how they would speak in every day conversation. There were several instances where I just had to wonder how the heck they were even admitted into a university. Sometimes it was based on some BS scholarship - one of the examples was on a Girl Scout scholarship I believe.

Maybe the English / grammar thing is more isolated to NC. I know for a fact that NC public schools have failed miserably at teaching proper English and grammar. Over the years they almost completely faded out sentence structure / diagramming in favor of concentrating more on literature.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 10:17 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-09-2015 10:16 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(04-09-2015 10:11 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Complete B. S. Whomever wrote this didn't even bother to site where he got the information.

It's total bull.

03-lmfao Right on cue...
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 10:18 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-09-2015 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.