Will Wade?
04-07-2015 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
RE: Smart Replacement?
Former Asst at feceU, then a couple years at UT Chatty. Don't know much else about him, should be an interesting hire. It's out of "pattern" for them and he's got some colossal shoes to fill even if it's somewhat inflated expectations.

Might be worth checking out the reaction on lambnation, could be funny.
04-07-2015 02:01 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
eh, who cares
04-07-2015 02:04 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(04-07-2015 02:04 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  eh, who cares

This.
04-07-2015 02:27 PM
JMUDuke2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

Wade's a younger, better coach than what we have now.
04-08-2015 09:42 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Will Wade it is! He is responsible for the VCU press and will continue that style of play. At Chattanooga he called it Chaos!
04-08-2015 10:31 AM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
How do other schools get away with hiring so quickly? JMU always says the state require us to have a job posted for a certain amount of time before we can make a hire, yet I see other VA public schools making immediate (or close to it) hires.
04-08-2015 10:42 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Smart Replacement?
(04-08-2015 10:42 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  How do other schools get away with hiring so quickly? JMU always says the state require us to have a job posted for a certain amount of time before we can make a hire, yet I see other VA public schools making immediate (or close to it) hires.

It's called having a five man short list at all times and not dragging ass for a month. Those are leadership qualities.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 11:33 AM by Potomac.)
04-08-2015 11:33 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2015 11:33 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 10:42 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  How do other schools get away with hiring so quickly? JMU always says the state require us to have a job posted for a certain amount of time before we can make a hire, yet I see other VA public schools making immediate (or close to it) hires.

It's called having a five man short list at all times and not dragging ass for a month. Those are leadership qualities.

Those schools are obviously not "listening", "monitoring" or being "engaged". Those things take time.05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 11:49 AM by olddawg.)
04-08-2015 11:48 AM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
it's also called being ready for Smart to leave for a 'bigger job'. If Matt Brady left tomorrow to take a "bigger job" i think most of us would be caught off guard.
04-08-2015 11:49 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
(04-08-2015 11:49 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  it's also called being ready for Smart to leave for a 'bigger job'. If Matt Brady left tomorrow to take a "bigger job" i think most of us would be caught off guard.

I'd call it "a pleasant surprise"
04-08-2015 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(04-08-2015 11:50 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 11:49 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  it's also called being ready for Smart to leave for a 'bigger job'. If Matt Brady left tomorrow to take a "bigger job" i think most of us would be caught off guard.

I'd call it "a pleasant surprise"

lol it would be something wouldn't it
04-08-2015 11:51 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

Time will tell if Wade is a good coach...he's certainly going into a good situation. I noticed that in the two years he was at Chatty, they improved their RPI considerably, but it seemed like they did it largely through crafty scheduling. Typically, they would lose -- and lose handily -- to the good teams they played. Here's an article on RPI that I came across that's somewhat germane to this point.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketba...f-schedule
04-08-2015 01:10 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Smart Replacement?
The biggest question mark with a new coach is will he be able to recruit the same talent level of player that Shaka did. Part of their success is not so much X's and O's, but just being bigger, stronger and better than their opponents.
04-08-2015 01:55 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(04-08-2015 01:55 PM)Potomac Wrote:  The biggest question mark with a new coach is will he be able to recruit the same talent level of player that Shaka did. Part of their success is not so much X's and O's, but just being bigger, stronger and better than their opponents.

As well as the recruits Smart had coming in. Without looking I think I recall some pretty high rankings for a couple of them anyway. Maybe they head off to UT instead.
04-08-2015 02:17 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
In both years at UTC, they were bounced in the first round of the Southern Conference tournament. He also lost in his only game in the C I T tournament. He did turn around the Mocs but I do not think they were awful upon his arrival and UTC has been to 10 NCAA's. Maybe he has the goods, but with the Success Shaka had of 5 straight NCAA appearances, my initial thought is that they settled too quickly for him.
04-08-2015 02:45 PM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

More like shocked! or Stunned!
04-08-2015 02:54 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
As always I'll use predictive power ratings to determine how much a team has improved instead of RPI - that is what we like to do in the video game/virtual reality generation as JMUNation mentions.

Chatt was 273rd and 310th Kenpom's final 2 years before Wade arrived under Shulman, and Wade moved them to 158th this year which was their highest rating in 10 + years. Don't know enough about the makeup of current roster to know what he added or inherited, but he was doing a very good job so far either way. Don't know if he can recruit the same type of player Smart was able to get, or even close to be honest.

It would be nice to win a conference tournament game, but a 2 game sample size isn't enough for me to determine there is something wrong with him.
04-08-2015 02:59 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(04-08-2015 02:59 PM)UofRfan Wrote:  As always I'll use predictive power ratings to determine how much a team has improved instead of RPI - that is what we like to do in the video game/virtual reality generation as JMUNation mentions.

Chatt was 273rd and 310th Kenpom's final 2 years before Wade arrived under Shulman, and Wade moved them to 158th this year which was their highest rating in 10 + years. Don't know enough about the makeup of current roster to know what he added or inherited, but he was doing a very good job so far either way. Don't know if he can recruit the same type of player Smart was able to get, or even close to be honest.

It would be nice to win a conference tournament game, but a 2 game sample size isn't enough for me to determine there is something wrong with him.
I agree UR fan but I live in Richmond and he has been getting great press and I was throwing a little caution to the hype.
04-08-2015 03:13 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2015 02:54 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  

More like shocked! or Stunned!

Shocked if he were to take a bigger job, but not shocked if he found a lateral move or maybe even a small step down and I really think he could line something up before the bell rings.
04-08-2015 03:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.