Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

November 28th App St. vs. UL game designated as Black Saturday
Bookmark and Share
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
November 28th App St. vs. UL game designated as Black Saturday
Appalachian State is 11-1 in Black Saturday games since 2002 when Black Saturday was reintroduced. Black Saturday games are generally given to the games with the best Saturday home game. Consequently, Georgia Southern has been our Black Saturday opponent 4 or 5 times and our lone Black Saturday loss came at the hands of Georgia Southern. Since Georgia Southern is on a Thursday this year, UL has been given this honor.
04-06-2015 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: November 28th App St. vs. UL game designated as Black Saturday
I'm just glad we are playing you guys on a Thursday. Saturdays in Boone have proven to be bad luck for us. lol.

I will say though, that place is rockin on black Saturday.
04-06-2015 03:06 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I kinda figured yall would just keep it the same and call it Black Thursday instead.
04-06-2015 03:12 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
That is the day after Black Friday... Weird
04-06-2015 03:16 PM
FLEagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Good. Yall don't need anymore motivation for our game. It's hard enough to win in Boone without a bunch of hillbillies wearing all black.
04-06-2015 03:17 PM
GEAUX UL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LOUISIANA
I think this "Black Saturday" is a positive step forward for App State. I'm happy to see that they are finally going to let black people attend one of their football games. Hopefully in a few years they'll stop limiting it to just one Saturday.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 04:21 PM by GEAUX UL.)
04-06-2015 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Pigs N Heat BBQ Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GS Eagles
Good luck with that ULL.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-06-2015 04:27 PM
AppinVA Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Every Saturday is Black Saturday.
04-06-2015 04:33 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

(04-06-2015 04:27 PM)Pigs N Heat BBQ Wrote:  Good luck with that ULL.

I think the team will be more concerned with the temps and weather, than what's going on in the stands. But I will admit sounds like a fun environment for a football game.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 04:45 PM by balanced_view.)
04-06-2015 04:44 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(04-06-2015 04:27 PM)Pigs N Heat BBQ Wrote:  Good luck with that ULL.

Should be a good one, the cajuns have been pretty damn good in revenge games under Hud. Should be a dogfight.
04-06-2015 04:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-06-2015 03:16 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  That is the day after Black Friday... Weird

Isn't the day already sort of known as Black Saturday anyway now? Considering how many stores continue sales through Saturday.
04-06-2015 08:40 PM
Advertisement

APPrising Offline
1st String

(04-06-2015 04:19 PM)GEAUX UL Wrote:  I think this "Black Saturday" is a positive step forward for App State. I'm happy to see that they are finally going to let black people attend one of their football games. Hopefully in a few years they'll stop limiting it to just one Saturday.

I'm always more impressed with those who have negative rep points as you have to say some obnoxiously idiotic stuff.
04-07-2015 08:12 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

ya, that might be the dumbest, most offensive statement I have read in a long time, dude, that's just way, way out of bounds, do me a favor, from here forward, please think about what your posting BEFORE you post it, idiotic statement!!
04-07-2015 08:40 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(04-06-2015 04:19 PM)GEAUX UL Wrote:  I think this "Black Saturday" is a positive step forward for App State. I'm happy to see that they are finally going to let black people attend one of their football games. Hopefully in a few years they'll stop limiting it to just one Saturday.

04-jawdrop
04-07-2015 08:48 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Wasn't the Friday night ESPN game with Wofford a "Black Saturday" game? I wonder if the App admin is worried about attendance for the Thursday night Georgia Southern game and doesn't want to hold their "Black Day" game for that day?

FWIW, we had our highest regular-season crowd ever for the game with App last year, so it will be interesting to see if App fans care about the series as much as our fans do.

Just a hunch, I think our game this year is going to be a big one.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 08:53 AM by EigenEagle.)
04-07-2015 08:52 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

(04-07-2015 08:52 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Wasn't the Friday night ESPN game with Wofford a "Black Saturday" game? I wonder if the App admin is worried about attendance for the Thursday night Georgia Southern game and doesn't want to hold their "Black Day" game for that day?

FWIW, we had our highest regular-season crowd ever for the game with App last year, so it will be interesting to see if App fans care about the series as much as our fans do.

It was either Black Friday or Black Saturday. It was on or around Halloween. They were supposed to challenge us for the SoCon that year, but we made them look like VMI.

Personally, I'll probably only make it to two games this year and I'm hoping to go to the Georgia Southern game and the Black Saturday game. My brother's girlfriend went to ULL, so we will probably all go up together. I'm guessing the Georgia Southern game will have the best attendance this year as more out of towners will choose that one over the ASU Thursday game due to the GS rivalry and ULL is on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. If Troy starts out the year strong, that one could have a good attendance.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 09:01 AM by APPrising.)
04-07-2015 08:59 AM
Advertisement

JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(04-07-2015 08:59 AM)APPrising Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 08:52 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Wasn't the Friday night ESPN game with Wofford a "Black Saturday" game? I wonder if the App admin is worried about attendance for the Thursday night Georgia Southern game and doesn't want to hold their "Black Day" game for that day?

It was either Black Friday or Black Saturday. It was on or around Halloween. They were supposed to challenge us for the SoCon that year, but we made them look like VMI.

Personally, I'll probably only make it to two games this year and I'm hoping to go to the Georgia Southern game and the Black Saturday game. My brother's girlfriend went to ULL, so we will probably all go up together. I'm guessing the Georgia Southern game will have the best attendance this year as more out of towners will choose that one over the ASU Thursday game due to the GS rivalry and ULL is on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. If Troy starts out the year strong, that one could have a good attendance.

Black Saturday was the week before against Furman. The promo for the Wofford game was "Friday Night Trunk or Treat."

Black Saturday was used for every home game from the mid 80's thru the early 90's. Well before the Whiteout, Blackout, Blueout, trend started. It only went away because a local woman complained to the school that it was satanic to promote the games as Black Saturday. Small town politics at its finest back then.

Glad to have the Cajuns in town for this years game. Should be a great atmosphere and hopefully a very important game.
04-07-2015 12:44 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(04-07-2015 12:44 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 08:59 AM)APPrising Wrote:  

Black Saturday was the week before against Furman. The promo for the Wofford game was "Friday Night Trunk or Treat."

Black Saturday was used for every home game from the mid 80's thru the early 90's. Well before the Whiteout, Blackout, Blueout, trend started. It only went away because a local woman complained to the school that it was satanic to promote the games as Black Saturday. Small town politics at its finest back then.

Glad to have the Cajuns in town for this years game. Should be a great atmosphere and hopefully a very important game.

Yes the battle for 2nd place in the SBC will be very important and will likely help AppSt Bowl selection.
04-07-2015 12:51 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern

Ok I'm going to hell because I laughed at this. I guess my ticket is beside yours on the train?
04-07-2015 12:56 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

(04-07-2015 12:56 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

Ok I'm going to hell because I laughed at this. I guess my ticket is beside yours on the train?

Pick me up on the way to the station, I thought it was funny.... And I'm black.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 01:00 PM by Louisiana99.)
04-07-2015 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.