Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G
BE4neva Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Providence
B1G
The B1G has been competitive in general since the BCs started in football and always of note in basketball. The past 5 or so years the lack of a major championship kind of held them back a bit perception wise but no one was mistaking the conference for not being a top league.

Now this year the following
-Rutgers and MD and more importantly NYC/NJ and DC are in the family
-tOSU wins the football championship
-2 final four teams, knocks off UK(somewhat significant considering undefeated blah blah), Wisc has a chance to win it all still
-has a women's team in the final four

The B1G is alive and well. But here is the question and comments to what I'm getting at.

1) Is there ever a better time to be aggressive then right now?
2) If now is the time don't you do the following, add a football school, add a basketball school. Those schools need to be high research so they fit the flagship culture and all that. They also need to bring markets, states or large fanbases. Some all of the above combo.
3) Now you go negoatiate the new TV deal with all this momentum.

But what are the B1G presidents and Jim Delaney going to do? If it's ever been about the money both from TV dollars and academics wise, then now appears to be the time to get aggressive and get what you want.

Thoughts?
04-04-2015 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: B1G
The Big Ten IS getting a basketball school and a football school.
04-04-2015 10:39 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(04-04-2015 10:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  The Big Ten IS getting a basketball school and a football school.

Army= Football school
UConn=Basketball school

03-wink
04-04-2015 10:47 PM
Waterloo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: State U of IOWA
(04-04-2015 10:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  The Big Ten IS getting a basketball school and a football school.

KU and OU.

I'd love to see it.
04-04-2015 10:49 PM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV, MWC
I wouldn't be surprised to see some realignment this summer.
04-04-2015 10:58 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-04-2015 10:38 PM)BE4neva Wrote:  The B1G has been competitive in general since the BCs started in football and always of note in basketball. The past 5 or so years the lack of a major championship kind of held them back a bit perception wise but no one was mistaking the conference for not being a top league.

-2 final four teams, knocks off UK(somewhat significant considering undefeated blah blah), Wisc has a chance to win it all still

The B1G is alive and well. But here is the question and comments to what I'm getting at.

2) If now is the time don't you do the following, add a football school, add a basketball school. Those schools need to be high research so they fit the flagship culture and all that. They also need to bring markets, states or large fanbases. Some all of the above combo.

But what are the B1G presidents and Jim Delaney going to do? If it's ever been about the money both from TV dollars and academics wise, then now appears to be the time to get aggressive and get what you want.

Thoughts?

Actually the trigger for their timing would be 2 fold. 1. They need their T1 contract with ESPN renegotiated at a maximum prior to 2017. 2. Most schools that are targets would be in conferences that require two years notification prior to a move to avoid exit fees. That would mean something had to be in the works and then announced prior to August 15th of this year (that is the most common deadline for conferences). GOR's would be another issue. GOR's would be dealt with by either placing enough schools from the raided conference to dissolve the conference, or by having the networks involved fully honor the value of the existing contracts until the contract expired for the remaining schools. If there is no diminished value for the duration of the contract then there are no monetary damages to claim.

Winning the first CFP championship and now having a good basketball run just add icing to the contract cake. But the timeline was already set in stone. Maybe they get Kansas and Oklahoma, or maybe they get into Virginia or possibly North Carolina. Or, maybe nothing happens. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 11:01 PM by JRsec.)
04-04-2015 10:59 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(04-04-2015 10:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 10:38 PM)BE4neva Wrote:  The B1G has been competitive in general since the BCs started in football and always of note in basketball. The past 5 or so years the lack of a major championship kind of held them back a bit perception wise but no one was mistaking the conference for not being a top league.

Thoughts?

Actually the trigger for their timing would be 2 fold. 1. They need their T1 contract with ESPN renegotiated at a maximum prior to 2017. 2. Most schools that are targets would be in conferences that require two years notification prior to a move to avoid exit fees. That would mean something had to be in the works and then announced prior to August 15th of this year (that is the most common deadline for conferences). GOR's would be another issue. GOR's would be dealt with by either placing enough schools from the raided conference to dissolve the conference, or by having the networks involved fully honor the value of the existing contracts until the contract expired for the remaining schools. If there is no diminished value for the duration of the contract then there are no monetary damages to claim.

Winning the first CFP championship and now having a good basketball run just add icing to the contract cake. But the timeline was already set in stone. Maybe they get Kansas and Oklahoma, or maybe they get into Virginia or possibly North Carolina. Or, maybe nothing happens. We'll see.
People are always bringing up these GOR's like they are ironclad. I bet that everyone of them has a way out of it. Now it might cost some money to do it. But I bet it can be done.
04-04-2015 11:53 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
The big prizes remain the same as always.

Notre Dame and Texas.
04-05-2015 03:46 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I've considered what if the Big Ten expands again - they could go East or West.
* If the B1G adds 2 teams in the East, it would have to split one team from the East (presumably Indiana) and put it in the West; that likely makes the divisions even more uneven, though.
* If it's one team each in the East and West, divisions remain as-is indefinitely
* If it's two teams in the West, Purdue gets to move East; that could help balance the divisions.

Question for Big Ten fans: Which of these scenarios is more desirable/likely?
04-05-2015 06:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-05-2015 03:46 AM)goofus Wrote:  The big prizes remain the same as always.

Notre Dame and Texas.

Not again with this?
04-05-2015 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
This is rich. Wisconsin makes the title game and suddenly the Big 10 is expanding. Lulz
04-05-2015 09:16 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(04-05-2015 08:33 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Notre Dame and Texas.
Not again with this?
Yes. That again. It was inevitable, and you knew it, Terry.
04-05-2015 09:16 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(04-05-2015 06:17 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I've considered what if the Big Ten expands again - they could go East or West.
* If the B1G adds 2 teams in the East, it would have to split one team from the East (presumably Indiana) and put it in the West; that likely makes the divisions even more uneven, though.
* If it's one team each in the East and West, divisions remain as-is indefinitely
* If it's two teams in the West, Purdue gets to move East; that could help balance the divisions.

A lot of Big Ten folks don't want expansion to be entirely Eastern or even Eastern at all. They want to see some balance to what has already been done.

Either one East and one West or both West but more would probably want the Western expansion this time.
04-05-2015 09:42 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(04-05-2015 09:16 AM)esayem Wrote:  This is rich. Wisconsin makes the title game and suddenly the Big 10 is expanding. Lulz

Um, no there is no "suddenly" to it. The only thing that suddenly happens is that when the tournament ends, realignment workings begin again.

How the Big Ten looks in all this is that all the negative talk about Big Ten performance looks silly after this year.
04-05-2015 09:43 AM
He1nousOne Offline

Notre Dame and Texas.

Not going to happen.
04-05-2015 09:43 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(04-05-2015 09:43 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 09:16 AM)esayem Wrote:  This is rich. Wisconsin makes the title game and suddenly the Big 10 is expanding. Lulz
Um, no there is no "suddenly" to it. The only thing that suddenly happens is that when the tournament ends, realignment workings begin again.

How the Big Ten looks in all this is that all the negative talk about Big Ten performance looks silly after this year.
Unless this season turns out to be an aberration, and ends up a blip in the scheme of things. Only time will tell the full story.
04-05-2015 10:05 AM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(04-05-2015 10:05 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 09:43 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Unless this season turns out to be an aberration, and ends up a blip in the scheme of things. Only time will tell the full story.

You can hope. The Big Ten hasn't lost to the ACC for the past 6 seasons in their challenge. Your premise is already flawed. This season is just business as usual. In the past ten Final Fours The Big Ten has had ten participants.

Learn the facts before you make statements that you think are true.
04-05-2015 10:14 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The B1G is having a banner year in the major sports, and it couldn't be happening at a better time, what with half of their media rights coming up for sale next year.

Not that they needed to have this kind of year, since their media rights were going to sell for huge $$$ anyway, but it's a nice cherry to cap it off.

B1G sitting extremely pretty right now, they finally have the on-field performance to match their matchless revenue generation.
04-05-2015 10:17 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(04-05-2015 06:17 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I've considered what if the Big Ten expands again - they could go East or West.

There is something keeping me from responding to your pm. 05-stirthepot
04-05-2015 10:29 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa

Your question seems to assume the expansion teams themselves can not tip the balance of the divisions.

if Oklahoma and Texas are added to the west, that makes the west division very strong. If Mizzou and Kansas are added to the west, thats pretty much more of the same.

Needless to say, I support western expansion. Its all about building a bridge to Texas. Yes, the academic snobs and marketing brand gurus don't like Kansas, Mizzou and Oklahoma, but culturally they fit the midwest mindset and that will promote long term stability. Expanding east will ultimately promote a split when the east coast snobs and midwestern hicks decided they do not like each other.
04-05-2015 10:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.