Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball/Theatre combo
Bookmark and Share
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Basketball/Theatre combo
[attachment=6791]Has anyone ever seen this type combo? Could this work and if not, why? Huge video and scoreboard behind the benches on far side of court. Just some different thinking. Haven't seen it elsewhere and thought could bring attention to the program. Flame away!
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 10:00 AM by squeak.)
04-04-2015 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
RE: Basketball/Theatre combo
(04-04-2015 09:59 AM)squeak Wrote:  Has anyone ever seen this type combo? Could this work and if not, why? Huge video and scoreboard behind the benches on far side of court. Just some different thinking. Haven't seen it elsewhere and thought could bring attention to the program. Flame away!

To flame, would mean the posting had merit.

No offense intended, but this is the worst idea I have seen in quite some time. Could ETSU play basketball inside the Niswonger Performing Arts Center or inside the Barter Theater? The reality is - that is exactly what you are asking about.
04-04-2015 05:09 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
[attachment=6792] I know UNC Asheville uses their facility as a performing arts center. It would be nice, and a cost saver if ETSU could do the same with an on campus venue. But heck, I'm OK with using Freedom Hall indefinitely.
04-04-2015 05:47 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

(04-04-2015 05:47 PM)squeak Wrote:  I know UNC Asheville uses their facility as a performing arts center. It would be nice, and a cost saver if ETSU could do the same with an on campus venue. But heck, I'm OK with using Freedom Hall indefinitely.
By that logic, Freedom Hall is a performing arts center. A performance venue and a performing arts center are very different.
04-04-2015 05:51 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Like I said Freedom Hall is OK with me indefinitely. I'm just amused at the folks who come on here that who rally for a basketball venue that balk at the price of a season ticket. The money has to come from somewhere. Design a facility the right way and yes, it could be used by both.
04-04-2015 06:06 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

(04-04-2015 06:06 PM)squeak Wrote:  Like I said Freedom Hall is OK with me indefinitely. I'm just amused at the folks who come on here that who rally for a basketball venue that balk at the price of a season ticket. The money has to come from somewhere. Design a facility the right way and yes, it could be used by both.

Again, no it couldn't be used by both. Could a basketball game be played inside Niswonger? No. Repeat after me: Nisownger is a performing arts center.

Do folks really understand what a performing arts center really is? We are past putting a stage at the end of the gymnasium. That era was over in the 50s.

I'm out of here on this topic, my head hurts. 03-banghead
04-04-2015 06:12 PM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Yep pretty sure you couldn't play in Nisownger or however you spelled it. It's Niswonger, and it wouldn't be a small facility like Niswonger. I guess you have an idea what things should look like so I guess I'll let you continue beating your head.
04-04-2015 06:27 PM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
(04-04-2015 09:59 AM)squeak Wrote:  Has anyone ever seen this type combo? Could this work and if not, why? Huge video and scoreboard behind the benches on far side of court. Just some different thinking. Haven't seen it elsewhere and thought could bring attention to the program. Flame away!

Hahahaha, WHAT?!? 03-lmfao
Ahhhh
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 06:43 PM by TheShadow.)
04-04-2015 06:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't think there is a basketball team in the world who plays in that style of venue. A PAC needs maybe 1500 seats and that is probably large. Basketball needs at least 6,000. You think the view from the Dome was bad I would love to see the view from the last row in an arena designed like that.
04-04-2015 06:39 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Basketball at Radio City Music Hall

[Image: World%20Basketball%20Festival%20%20%20Ja...cap-3.jpeg]

[Image: wbf-usa-team-radio-city-1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 07:06 PM by ETSUfan1.)
04-04-2015 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Mission accomplished......got people thinking! Angle the bottom floor, make the upper level seats closer with a horseshoe design and you got it. I know this is silly, but just thinking outside the box.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 07:37 PM by squeak.)
04-04-2015 07:17 PM
Advertisement

shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
Since the dome was an uncontested success, but the new preference is nonetheless an open air football stadium, I would like to see the first outdoor college basketball arena/football stadium. Funded by Taco Bell. Think outside the bun, I mean box.
04-04-2015 07:30 PM
Meanmike0001 Offline
Special Teams

Furman's arena is a theatre that happens to have a basketball court. It is horrible.
04-04-2015 09:15 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/

This is a good site to look at other college venues
04-04-2015 10:12 PM
CaptainJackAubrey Offline
Special Teams

Basketball/Theatre combo
Dumb. Just dumb.
04-05-2015 10:49 AM
buc73 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
This thread is ridiculous.
04-05-2015 03:25 PM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
This thread is crazy, this thread is stupid, this thread is ongoing, and I started it for all the Freedom Hall naysayers. After the upgrades, that's where we need to be, that's where we need to stay.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:15 AM by squeak.)
04-05-2015 07:48 PM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

It's about as likely as building an arena in the middle of Boone Lake.

There are plenty of arenas with end-stage setups, but those tend to be for concerts that can fill the building anyway. Making it too much of a theatre creates a weird configuration (read: bad atmosphere) for basketball, and trying to fit a theatre into an arena would lead to awful acoustics for the theatre. If ETSU can raise the money for both, it should build both.
04-05-2015 08:21 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
(04-05-2015 07:48 PM)squeak Wrote:  This thread is crazy, this thread is stupid, this thread is ongoing, and I started it for all the Freedom Hall naysayers. After the upgrades, that's where we need to be, that's where we need to stay.

The upgrades to Freedom will buy ETSU/JC about 10-15 years max. They let the building rot too much and honestly it would be asinine to dump the kind of money into it that it would take to make it a modern marvel. Do some House Hunters renovations to it that make it somewhat aesthetically pleasing, while planning a new venue. Those apartments falling through is a great thing for ETSU and JC. It's time to snag that land up and start planning it, as it will take that long to raise the kind of jack it'll take to build what ETSU and the city both needs.
As for the theatre thing, that's simply ridiculous, though the Curb Center is multi-use and has a basketball venue along with a performing arts center down the hall from it.
Right now the focus has got to be getting the seats and sound fixed at Freedom Hall, and somehow getting people closer to the floor. I know the spin is there are more seats at Freedom Hall closer than there are at the dome, but it would be awesome to somehow see the endzone seats brought floor level. Students on both ends with the pep band even with just the lower bowl full would create a pretty tough venue to play in.
04-08-2015 10:29 PM
queenladybug817 Offline
Special Teams

(04-08-2015 10:29 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 07:48 PM)squeak Wrote:  This thread is crazy, this thread is stupid, this thread is ongoing, and I started it for all the Freedom Hall naysayers. After the upgrades, that's where we need to be, that's where we need to stay.

The upgrades to Freedom will buy ETSU/JC about 10-15 years max. They let the building rot too much and honestly it would be asinine to dump the kind of money into it that it would take to make it a modern marvel. Do some House Hunters renovations to it that make it somewhat aesthetically pleasing, while planning a new venue. Those apartments falling through is a great thing for ETSU and JC. It's time to snag that land up and start planning it, as it will take that long to raise the kind of jack it'll take to build what ETSU and the city both needs.
As for the theatre thing, that's simply ridiculous, though the Curb Center is multi-use and has a basketball venue along with a performing arts center down the hall from it.
Right now the focus has got to be getting the seats and sound fixed at Freedom Hall, and somehow getting people closer to the floor. I know the spin is there are more seats at Freedom Hall closer than there are at the dome, but it would be awesome to somehow see the endzone seats brought floor level. Students on both ends with the pep band even with just the lower bowl full would create a pretty tough venue to play in.
I actually think the "bones" of Freedom Hall could still allow it to be updated enough to be viable for more than 10-15 years. However, with that said, the location limits it in more ways than I like to see. Most civic arenas are close to at a minimum a downtown walking area or business district. I know when I attend conventions, tournaments or other large events like that, I like to be able to park and then explore a little more of the area nearby. If JC wants to have a civic center that brings in events similar even to the one in Asheville, it has GOT to be in a better location. (And honestly, I didn't think the actual look of Asheville's arena was better than Freedom Hall. It had a nicer concessions area and more of them, but it's actually a little rundown overall too.)

I also like the General Mills area for an arena of this type for Johnson City. It's close enough to downtown for people to walk and downtown is getting back a lot of charm. It's also much closer to ETSU. I'm not only thinking for basketball, but bringing in concerts or other events that would draw students, as well as the local community/region. The only drawback is that most of the hotels in JC are located up on the northern side of town.
04-09-2015 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.