BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Gary Clark and freshman year
Clark's freshman year at Cincinnati 'better than expected'
Former Clayton stand-out Clark adjusting quickly at Cincinnati

By Nick Stevens
Posted at 10:52 a.m.
Ask high school basketball fans in the Triangle, and most won't be surprised that Clayton High School graduate Gary Clark has already had success in college.
Clark, however, surprised himself.
After leaving Clayton and arriving at the University of Cincinnati, Clark went to work. He hit the weight room, he worked on his conditioning, and he practiced to fine-tune his skills.
It paid off.
"[My freshman year] was way better than I expected. I came in and I was trying to find my way, I was trying to fit in, figure out what they needed me to do," Clark said. "I was trying to find out how much I was going to play as a freshman, where am I going to find minutes, how can I get extra minutes?"
Clark found plenty of minutes. In his first collegiate game, Clark played 24 minutes, scored 10 points on 5-of-8 shooting, brought in six rebounds, a posted four steals.
It was the beginning of a strong freshman season. Clark was one of the Bearcats' starters.
"I worked so hard to earn a starting position, and to start all season, that was above what I expected coming in," Clark said.
Playing college basketball is different than playing high school basketball though, and Clark learned that lesson quickly.
"The expectations of how hard you have to play, the preparation for different games, it was definitely a great experience," he said. "A lot of people talk about how hard the Bearcats play, but it's definitely different being here and playing that hard."
Clark bought in to the style of play. For the season, Clark led the team in rebounds with 7.2 per game, he was second in blocked shots with 1.3 per game, he was second in assists with 1.7 per game, he was third in field goal percentage at 52.4 percent, and he was fourth in scoring at 7.8 points per game.
For the season, Clark averaged 27.8 minutes per game, the third most on the team, and the most of any freshman.
On Nov. 29, Clark's sixth game at Cincinnati, he posted his first double-double since leaving Clayton. Against Ole Miss, Clark scored 12 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in a 66-54 loss. Clark scored in double-figures 11 times this season, posting three double-doubles.
When March rolled around, Clark and the Bearcats found themselves in the NCAA Tournament.
"Growing up and watching it, filling out brackets, and now to be able to play in it, it was a great experience," Clark said of March Madness. "Your family calls you, telling you they're picking you and pulling for you ... To play in an atmosphere like the NCAA Tournament, every game is a crazy experience."
Earning a No. 8 seed, Cincinnati took on No. 9 Purdue in the second round of the tournament.
With 48.5 seconds left in regulation, Cincinnati trailed Purdue by seven points, but the Bearcats went on a 10-3 run to send the game to overtime, thanks to a buzzer-beating lay-up by Troy Caupain.
With 3:17 left in overtime, Cincinnati trailed Purdue 63-62, and that's when Coreontae DeBerry got an offensive rebound and a put-back to put the Bearcats up 64-63. Cincinnati never trailed again, winning 66-65, surviving a last-second three-point attempt from Purdue.
"To play against Purdue in the first round and to win the way we did, it was special," Clark said.
The win setup a match-up with undefeated and top-seeded Kentucky in the third round, but this time there was no March magic for the Bearcats. No. 1 Kentucky eliminated Cincinnati 64-51.
"It was a great experience to play against those guys. They're undefeated. To play against a team where their whole team is big was different," he said. "They out-numbered us with their bench, but as far as playing against a team like that, it's a great experience."
With his freshman season now behind him, Clark will turn his attention to his sophomore season. He said he needs to get stronger, and he also plans to work on his mid-range jump shot.
"I've worked on it since I was in high school, but I never got really comfortable just pulling up," Clark said. "I should be a double-figure rebounder, have double-figure numbers every night. I should be able to guard the point guard down to the center if I have to."
Clark is ready for the hard work, and he has a message for current high school players who may have the opportunity to play at higher level.
"I would honestly say play hard and outplay your opponent. If you're playing harder than them the whole game, then eventually your team will be up big," he said. "Here we're wearing teams down, playing against guys who eventually get tired. If I would have known that (in high school), I would have outplayed a lot of people."
Follow Nick Stevens on Twitter @NickStevensHSOT

Read more at http://www.highschoolot.com/clark-s-fres...ye8frlg.99

03-31-2015 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Gary Clark and freshman year
Love Clark's game and maturity. Dude knows how back down defenders and score. Natural post player.

03-31-2015 03:26 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(03-31-2015 03:03 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  With his freshman season now behind him, Clark will turn his attention to his sophomore season. He said he needs to get stronger, and he also plans to work on his mid-range jump shot.
"I've worked on it since I was in high school, but I never got really comfortable just pulling up," Clark said.

If he can do that this off-season, he'll be near impossible to guard. Him with a reliable jump shot is almost unfair to whoever we face. If they commit to stopping the pull-up, he'll go by them and take it to the hole. If they aren't on him the moment he gets the ball in either the high post or just outside the paint, he just drains it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

03-31-2015 05:42 PM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2015 05:42 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 03:03 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  With his freshman season now behind him, Clark will turn his attention to his sophomore season. He said he needs to get stronger, and he also plans to work on his mid-range jump shot.
"I've worked on it since I was in high school, but I never got really comfortable just pulling up," Clark said.

If he can do that this off-season, he'll be near impossible to guard. Him with a reliable jump shot is almost unfair to whoever we face. If they commit to stopping the pull-up, he'll go by them and take it to the hole. If they aren't on him the moment he gets the ball in either the high post or just outside the paint, he just drains it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The hi-low possibilities with him and Ellis being almost interchangeable would make us really difficult to guard, assuming Clark can develop a reliable shot and Ellis can add 10 pounds of muscle.

03-31-2015 06:30 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(03-31-2015 06:30 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 05:42 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  

The hi-low possibilities with him and Ellis being almost interchangeable would make us really difficult to guard, assuming Clark can develop a reliable shot and Ellis can add 10 pounds of muscle.

...and not get kicked out of games

03-31-2015 09:00 PM
Advertisement

dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(03-31-2015 03:26 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Love Clark's game and maturity. Dude knows how back down defenders and score. Natural post player.

To be a star he needs another move besides is backing the guy down. Needs a 10 foot jumper.

04-01-2015 12:15 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(04-01-2015 12:15 AM)dossbig Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 03:26 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Love Clark's game and maturity. Dude knows how back down defenders and score. Natural post player.

To be a star he needs another move besides is backing the guy down. Needs a 10 foot jumper.

if he can get that out to 15 ft, he can be next level.

04-01-2015 07:37 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Clark developing a jumper/ face up game, ellis improving his footwork and troy being more assertive are to me the three things that need to happen for uc to be true contenders. (Maybe add in the team getting back to a more normal turnover rate)

04-01-2015 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
#BearcatNation Offline
Bench Warmer

Maxiell was the same height (6'7") and had a deadly turn-around fade-away jumper. Granted, he was stronger with a bigger wingspan, but Clark plays similar to him in the rest of his game. If he can start hitting a shot like that, they'll be nearly identical players.

04-01-2015 09:26 AM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: Gary Clark and freshman year
(04-01-2015 09:26 AM)#BearcatNation Wrote:  Maxiell was the same height (6'7") and had a deadly turn-around fade-away jumper. Granted, he was stronger with a bigger wingspan, but Clark plays similar to him in the rest of his game. If he can start hitting a shot like that, they'll be nearly identical players.

And Max is one of my favorite Bearcats but he got a lot of offense from that turnaround jumper. I think Gary is better in the post than Max was.

04-01-2015 05:33 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
(04-01-2015 05:33 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 09:26 AM)#BearcatNation Wrote:  Maxiell was the same height (6'7") and had a deadly turn-around fade-away jumper. Granted, he was stronger with a bigger wingspan, but Clark plays similar to him in the rest of his game. If he can start hitting a shot like that, they'll be nearly identical players.

And Max is one of my favorite Bearcats but he got a lot of offense from that turnaround jumper. I think Gary is better in the post than Max was.

It seems the best way undersized PFs make it to the NBA is Rebound, Rebound and Rebound. I loved reading early practice reports talking about Clark being the leader in boards every practice. I think the player Clark should be watching and molding his game after is Paul Millsap. Maxiell went to the NBA combine and only measured 6'5" with a 7-3 wingspan, similar to DeJuan Blair at 6'5.25" and 7-2 wingspan. Paul Millsap lead the NCAA his freshman (12.5 RPG), sophomore (12.4 RPG) and junior (13.3 RPG) years at LaTech before being drafted (granted he averaged 36 MPG).

Rebounding (effort) is one very important stat that translates well to the next level from college. I'm curious what Gary Clark's current height w/o shoes and wingspan are now. At a camp back in 2012, Clark was measured at 6'5.5" with a 6-10 wingspan. Millsap was 6'6.25" with a 7-1 wingspan at the NBA Pre-Draft.

If Yancy Gates is considered the best Cronin era Bigman thus far as a head coach, watch out for Clark.

Freshman Year - Gary Clark
27.8 MPG 7.8 PPG 7.2 RPG 1.7 APG 1.3 BPG 1.0 SPG .524 FG% .625 FT%

Clark had a higher FG% and FT% than Gates ever had in 4 years, Clark blocked more shots in one season than Gates did in 4 years, more steals in one season "", more assists in one season "" and Clark had more rebounds his Freshman year in all but Gates senior year. If Clark can become a 13 PPG / 10 RPG type player next season, watch out!

Yancy Gates Stats

04-02-2015 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.