UTA sweeps this weeks SBC Softball Awards
Bookmark and Share
IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/2015/3...aspx?path=

NEW ORLEANS –

The Mavericks offense exploded over the past week as they scored 51 runs in 23 innings as they won all four games they played. UTA defeated Abilene Christian 14-0 in midweek action before playing a conference series against Appalachian State. The Mavericks won 7-1, 16-7, and 14-3 in the three games.

UT Arlington was led offensively by Sun Belt Player of the Week, Mallory Foster. Foster batted .875 for the week and had 16 RBI’s in only eight at bats. She recorded seven hits and scored six runs while knocking five extra base hits including three home runs.

Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week Sam Montes helped ensure the Mavericks boasted more than an impressive offense. Montes went 3-0 in three starts during the week. She posted a 1.65 ERA as she only gave up four earned runs in 17 innings. Montes struck out four while keeping the Wildcats and Mountaineers from mounting comebacks.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 12:30 AM by IdahoCajun.)
03-31-2015 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: UTA sweeps this weeks SBC Softball Awards
I thought for sure the Cajun's Lexie Elkins would have been the Player of the Week. Having two games with two home runs each is impressive. But congrats to the UTA players. Batting .875 and 16 RPIs is impressive as well, albeit against inferior competition.
03-31-2015 06:25 AM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(03-31-2015 06:25 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I thought for sure the Cajun's Lexie Elkins would have been the Player of the Week. Having two games with two home runs each is impressive. But congrats to the UTA players. Batting .875 and 16 RPIs is impressive as well, albeit against inferior competition.

Elkins did have a pretty good three game weekend series but didn't have as high an average or RBI. Last week the Cajuns didn't play any midweek games.

"Elkins hit .667 with five home runs and eight RBI during the series at Texas State. Five of her six hits in the series were home runs, resulting in a 2.333 slugging percentage."

"The junior catcher hit two home runs in each game of Saturday's doubleheader and finished the day 5-for-8 with four home runs and seven RBI. Saturday's efforts marked her fourth and fifth multiple-home run games of 2015."
03-31-2015 08:56 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(03-31-2015 08:56 AM)CajunAmos Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 06:25 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I thought for sure the Cajun's Lexie Elkins would have been the Player of the Week. Having two games with two home runs each is impressive. But congrats to the UTA players. Batting .875 and 16 RPIs is impressive as well, albeit against inferior competition.

Elkins did have a pretty good three game weekend series but didn't have as high an average or RBI. Last week the Cajuns didn't play any midweek games.

"Elkins hit .667 with five home runs and eight RBI during the series at Texas State. Five of her six hits in the series were home runs, resulting in a 2.333 slugging percentage."

"The junior catcher hit two home runs in each game of Saturday's doubleheader and finished the day 5-for-8 with four home runs and seven RBI. Saturday's efforts marked her fourth and fifth multiple-home run games of 2015."

To me going .667 with 5 HR and 8 RBI against the #60 team is more impressive than going .875 with 16 RBI against the #218 team.
03-31-2015 09:30 AM
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Quality of hitting should be measured vs the pitcher not the team RPI IMO. Additional information to consider would be the circumstances of the hits.
03-31-2015 09:41 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(03-31-2015 09:41 AM)CajunExpress Wrote:  Quality of hitting should be measured vs the pitcher not the team RPI IMO. Additional information to consider would be the circumstances of the hits.

I can't imagine a team with an RPI in the 200's with a 6-24 record to have great pitching.
03-31-2015 11:19 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Geez, get over it. They were voted on and got it this week. Nothing is going to change that.
03-31-2015 11:48 AM
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Gosh dog, Abilene Christian was just one game too. All her home runs came against Appalachian State. Not a juggernaut I get ya, but geez...

I get you aren't a fan of the program, but we are young and rebuilding and need a schedule like this to build confidence and gel as a team. We couldn't hit worth a darn last year, but had great pitching. It is reverse this year, but with the difference that our hitting won't graduate like our pitching did last year. If our coach get one solid pitcher, then we will be quite competitive for a couple of years. Awards like this can only help with the confidence and improving our program.
03-31-2015 12:25 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I'm not hating on UTA or trying to change who won, thank you. UTA has one of the top offenses in the country. I believe last I looked it was top 15 or so. But what Lexie Elkins did this weekend was impressive to me, and I thought for sure she would be the player of the week. That's all I'm trying to say. And I'm saying this about a Louisiana Lafayette player! It's not even like I'm saying a Jag player deserved to win it.
03-31-2015 12:42 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
(03-31-2015 12:25 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Gosh dog, Abilene Christian was just one game too. All her home runs came against Appalachian State. Not a juggernaut I get ya, but geez...

[Image: large.gif]
03-31-2015 12:55 PM
Advertisement

CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(03-31-2015 12:25 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Gosh dog, Abilene Christian was just one game too. All her home runs came against Appalachian State. Not a juggernaut I get ya, but geez...

I get you aren't a fan of the program, but we are young and rebuilding and need a schedule like this to build confidence and gel as a team. We couldn't hit worth a darn last year, but had great pitching. It is reverse this year, but with the difference that our hitting won't graduate like our pitching did last year. If our coach get one solid pitcher, then we will be quite competitive for a couple of years. Awards like this can only help with the confidence and improving our program.

Where was the hitting when your gals came to Lafayette??

I think they're feasting on weak pitching and it's skewing your point of view.
03-31-2015 02:22 PM
FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

(03-31-2015 12:42 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I'm not hating on UTA or trying to change who won, thank you. UTA has one of the top offenses in the country. I believe last I looked it was top 15 or so. But what Lexie Elkins did this weekend was impressive to me, and I thought for sure she would be the player of the week. That's all I'm trying to say. And I'm saying this about a Louisiana Lafayette player! It's not even like I'm saying a Jag player deserved to win it.

Het Skully, don't click on this link.

http://www.utamavs.com/sports/w-softbl/s...15aab.html
03-31-2015 03:58 PM
FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

(03-31-2015 02:22 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  

You're right. You can judge an entire team's portfolio in one weekend series against two pitchers.
03-31-2015 03:59 PM
Advertisement

CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

(03-31-2015 03:59 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 02:22 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  

You're right. You can judge an entire team's portfolio in one weekend series against two pitchers.

Yes two of the best pitchers in the conference. Both of which have carried their teams to Super Regionals and the WCWS.
You basically admitted in another thread that your schedule stinks. It's the reason your RPI sucks. You got handled in Lafayette and then went 5-1 against the two worst teams in the conference, neither of which have good pitching. Lets see how the offensive juggernaut that is UTA fairs in the next month .
03-31-2015 05:08 PM
FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

Can you tell me where I said our offense was a juggernaut? We played a similar schedule last year. Couldn't hit out of a paper bag. This year it's the opposite. Why are you arguing about that?

BTW:I'm familiar with your team, as I am every team in every sport in the conference and most every team in every sport in the southwest. I never said you weren't good. Wish you Cajun guys wouldn't pick a fight when there's no fight to pick.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 08:10 PM by FoUTASportscaster.)
03-31-2015 08:09 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

(03-31-2015 08:09 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Can you tell me where I said our offense was a juggernaut? We played a similar schedule last year. Couldn't hit out of a paper bag. This year it's the opposite. Why are you arguing about that?

BTW:I'm familiar with your team, as I am every team in every sport in the conference and most every team in every sport in the southwest. I never said you weren't good. Wish you Cajun guys wouldn't pick a fight when there's no fight to pick.

Where did I say that you said that? Go and re-read my post. I was being sarcastic.
You said you had "great pitching" last year. Debatable. And then said the reverse is true this year. Implying that you have "great" hitting. I'm debating that statement. I don't think your hitting is that great as was shown when your team ran into good pitching here in Lafayette. You faired well against poor pitching the last two weekends and throughout much of your OOC schedule. You'll see much better in the coming month. Lets see how you fair.
04-01-2015 05:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.