Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco needs to go after the NCAA Selection Committee over Temple's exclusion
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Aresco needs to go after the NCAA Selection Committee over Temple's exclusion
I hate to pour salt over an old wound and I know I'm late on this, but I happened to be looking around the ESPN RPI rankings and did a comparison between BYU and Temple. I won't copy and paste all the information, but here are the links:

BYU: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...teamId/252
Temple: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...teamId/218

Here's the gist of their resumes:

RPI: Temple 34, BYU 38
Best win: Temple vs. Kansas (3), BYU @ Gonzaga (8)
VS. Top 50: Temple 2-8, BYU 1-4
VS. Top 100: Temple 8-8, BYU 4-6
VS. Top 150: Temple 9-9, BYU 9-8
VS. Sub 150: Temple 14-1, BYU 14-1

Basically, Temple played in a better conference and still finished with the same conference record as BYU (13-5). They played twice as many top 50 teams and have an extra win to show for it. They also have twice as many top 100 wins. Both teams have a bad road loss, but Temple's came when they were missing one of their best players plus a key bench player.

The fact that BYU got in over Temple is an outrage and there is no justification for it whatsoever. There are other teams you could compare Temple to as well, but this one struck me as especially egregious. Aresco needs to earn his salary and go after the selection committee hard. Maybe he already is behind closed doors.
03-30-2015 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

owlfan2272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple Owls
RE: Aresco needs to go after the NCAA Selection Committee over Temple's exclusion
BYU's AD is on the committee, stunned this would happen
03-30-2015 11:47 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Aresco needs to go after the NCAA Selection Committee over Temple's exclusion
BYU had a rep on the commitee. The AAC did not.

While the rep is not in the room while his team/conference is being discussed, it doesn't prevent the whole "I'll take care of you if you take care of me." mentality.

The NCAAB Selection Committee is no different than FIFA's way of selecting a World Cup host.
03-30-2015 11:50 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Yeah, it's definitely a good ol' boy system. Like I said, I know this is old news, but I was looking at BYU's resume and thought... wait a minute -- this is clearly worse than Temple's even when considering Temple's personnel issues this year. Just thought I would share.
03-30-2015 11:52 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
How do people get pickec for the committee?
03-30-2015 12:42 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 11:40 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I hate to pour salt over an old wound and I know I'm late on this, but I happened to be looking around the ESPN RPI rankings and did a comparison between BYU and Temple. I won't copy and paste all the information, but here are the links:

BYU: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...teamId/252
Temple: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...teamId/218

Here's the gist of their resumes:

RPI: Temple 34, BYU 38
Best win: Temple vs. Kansas (3), BYU @ Gonzaga (8)
VS. Top 50: Temple 2-8, BYU 1-4
VS. Top 100: Temple 8-8, BYU 4-6
VS. Top 150: Temple 9-9, BYU 9-8
VS. Sub 150: Temple 14-1, BYU 14-1

Basically, Temple played in a better conference and still finished with the same conference record as BYU (13-5). They played twice as many top 50 teams and have an extra win to show for it. They also have twice as many top 100 wins. Both teams have a bad road loss, but Temple's came when they were missing one of their best players plus a key bench player.

The fact that BYU got in over Temple is an outrage and there is no justification for it whatsoever. There are other teams you could compare Temple to as well, but this one struck me as especially egregious. Aresco needs to earn his salary and go after the selection committee hard. Maybe he already is behind closed doors.

Just being Devil's Advocate, could Aresco "promoting" the AAC, could it be viewed negatively by the powers that be? G4 being pissed about the AAC acting it is superior to the other G5s and P5's just going to slap the AAC to make sure they know their place. Next year the panel loses the MWC and CUSA and rolls on the ACC and MAC. So it will be another year before the committee changes. http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/col.../23326469/

Looks February will be the next time it will be announced for new members for 2016-17. It appears you have to be nominated but I have no clue how they are selected. If anyone knows, please share. Could it be the squeaky wheel will just get replaced rather than oiled? With 32 conferences coming on two at a time, the AAC could be in for a long wait. For example, Ron Wellman of Wake Rolled off last year and Duke's Kevin White rolls on this upcoming year.
03-30-2015 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(03-30-2015 12:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Just being Devil's Advocate, could Aresco "promoting" the AAC, could it be viewed negatively by the powers that be? G4 being pissed about the AAC acting it is superior to the other G5s and P5's just going to slap the AAC to make sure they know their place.

I doubt it, but then again, it wouldn't shock me.
03-30-2015 01:09 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 12:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  G4 being pissed about the AAC acting it is superior to the other G5s and P5's just going to slap the AAC to make sure they know their place.

Acting superior? By celebrating National Championships?
There is a huge grey area involved when you're talking about the shifts that have taken place between the old BCS system and the new system (if you want to call it that). As the product of the Old Big East, the AAC is accustomed to competing at the highest level. Even the newer programs have a history of competing on the highest level.

So, "knowing their place" rings very hollow.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 01:16 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-30-2015 01:15 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 01:15 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(03-30-2015 12:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  G4 being pissed about the AAC acting it is superior to the other G5s and P5's just going to slap the AAC to make sure they know their place.

There is a huge grey area involved when you're talking about the shifts that have taken place between the old BCS system and the new system (if you want to call it that). As the product of the Old Big East, the AAC is accustomed to competing at the highest level. Even the newer programs have a history of competing on the highest level.

Again, I was being Devil's Advocate not saying this is what is happening. It is too early to say if there will be separation between the G5s but the AAC did not distinguish itself in year one. That could change entirely in year two and beyond. But back to the point, many of whined about the AAC not having representation on the NCAA Committee as if Aresco could do something. I was asking could the over the top promoting hurt more than help since the person has to be nominated and selected? It is apparent, the committee is not drastically being altered next year. If anything, it will only get P5 stronger. To me the MWC and AAC have gone about this in two very different ways, both ways have strengths and weaknesses. I am just trying to asking a question. I will say the "AAC is accustomed to competing at the highest level" rings hollow. The Old Big East did compete at this level but neither the NBE or AAC is on par the the OBE back in the day This is not to say the AAC could not rise but it is not near that level at the moment. 04-cheers
03-30-2015 01:46 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(03-30-2015 01:46 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Again, I was being Devil's Advocate not saying this is what is happening. It is too early to say if there will be separation between the G5s but the AAC did not distinguish itself in year one. That could change entirely in year two and beyond. But back to the point, many of whined about the AAC not having representation on the NCAA Committee as if Aresco could do something. I was asking could the over the top promoting hurt more than help since the person has to be nominated and selected? It is apparent, the committee is not drastically being altered next year. If anything, it will only get P5 stronger. To me the MWC and AAC have gone about this in two very different ways, both ways have strengths and weaknesses. I am just trying to asking a question. I will say the "AAC is accustomed to competing at the highest level" rings hollow. The Old Big East did compete at this level but neither the NBE or AAC is on par the the OBE back in the day This is not to say the AAC could not rise but it is not near that level at the moment. 04-cheers

Like others have said before (but you continue to ignore), this was Year 1 for football, but Year 2 for basketball under the current contract. Year 1 included UCONN's Dual National Championships.

Take your uninformed, lame agenda somewhere else.

#ByeFelicia
03-30-2015 02:03 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 01:46 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  It is too early to say if there will be separation between the G5s but the AAC did not distinguish itself in year one.

Actually, year 1 in the AAC measures up very well against the equity 5 (autonomous conferences). A Fiesta Bowl victory against the Big 12 Champion, A MBB Title over Kentucky, and WBB Natty, and a NIT Runner up, is almost as good as it can get.

This year, we had more parity at the top in football.

That said, the AAC has already distinguished itself by having the better brands across the board and the ESPN exposure, IMO.

I highly doubt we'll see a National Title come out of any of those other conferences any time soon.

I don't mean to piss in your cornflakes.. but I'm just not seeing what you're trying to promote.
03-30-2015 02:04 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
03-lmfao Sure he does - just like Wile E. Coyote after the Roadrunner. Something about picking your battles...

[Image: wile-e-coyote-fail-o.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:14 PM by blunderbuss.)
03-30-2015 02:14 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 02:03 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(03-30-2015 01:46 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Like others have said before (but you continue to ignore), this was Year 1 for football, but Year 2 for basketball under the current contract. Year 1 included UCONN's Dual National Championships.

Take your uninformed, lame agenda somewhere else.

#ByeFelicia

Please note I have said was this was really the first year with true realignment. The AAC had Louisville and Rutgers last year in sports. Basically, all team movements happened last year. The conferences hopefully will be looking very similar for the next 20 years. This would be the same for the ACC bringing in Louisville, B10 bringing in MD and Rutgers, etc.. 2015 basically was the level set year for the FBS & D1 Conferences. Man, not trying to agitate you guys just asking questions. Trust me I have no agenda because I have no reason too, just love college basketball and football.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:25 PM by msm96wolf.)
03-30-2015 02:19 PM
taximan1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
The BYU argument is at least an argument. UCLA getting in ahead of Temple was absolute blind robbery, and P5 bias.

And I dont want to hear who Vegas would have favored in head to head games. That has ZERO to do with NCAA selection criteria.
03-30-2015 02:27 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 02:19 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Please note I have said was this was really the first year with true realignment. The AAC had Louisville and Rutgers last year in sports.

What does it matter when you arbitrarily claim that realignment started?

UCONN and UCF won with AAC patches on their uniforms. Rutgers and Louisville didn't win anything our first year.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:46 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-30-2015 02:44 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
The problem was this committee relied way too much on advanced metrics...

Ken Pom had BYU at 31, Temple at 56.
03-30-2015 02:51 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 02:44 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(03-30-2015 02:19 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Please note I have said was this was really the first year with true realignment. The AAC had Louisville and Rutgers last year in sports.

UCONN and UCF won with AAC patches on their uniforms. Rutgers and Louisville didn't win anything our first year.

No mas, no mas. You are right, the AAC is the ultimate conference and are grossly underpaid and should get paid what all the P5 conferences are paid. My, this AAC kool-aid really does taste good. 03-lmfao
03-30-2015 02:53 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-30-2015 02:53 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

No mas, no mas. You are right, the AAC is the ultimate conference and are grossly underpaid and should get paid what all the P5 conferences are paid. My, this AAC kool-aid really does taste good. 03-lmfao

If you want to get technical, we could claim back-to-back Nattys between UConn and Louisville... but we're not doing that.
03-30-2015 02:57 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

MSM Wolf is a troll of the worst order. He goes over to the Conf USA board and bad mouths this league, then he comes over here and spouts his crazy drivel. Have no idea who this guy pulls for. I do know that he is always uninformed and offers only his own made up stats.
03-30-2015 03:06 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(03-30-2015 03:06 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  

MSM Wolf is a troll of the worst order. He goes over to the Conf USA board and bad mouths this league, then he comes over here and spouts his crazy drivel. Have no idea who this guy pulls for. I do know that he is always uninformed and offers only his own made up stats.

Yup. His team probably sucks and he's a coward for not showing it. I still think he is a NC State "Wolf"pack fan (although he denies). It would explain a lot though.
03-30-2015 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.