Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt's simplest solution
Bookmark and Share
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
Add UMASS for football only with the agreement that the Minutemen schedule 4 games annually with SBC teams and add NMSU and Missouri State as full member. We could keep Idaho as football only until Missouri State is ready. When either EKU is ready or Jackonville State can get the votes...(which ever first) they could be the sixth eastern Team. If we wanted to add an oly sport team to get to 14 in other sports that could help basketball and baseball...what about Belmont?

East

Appalachian State
Massachusettes (football only)
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
South Alabama
Troy

West

Arkansas State
Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
Missouri State
New Mexico State
Texas State

basketball

Arkansas Little Rock
Arkansas State
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
Massachusettes (schedule 4 SB games)
Missouri State
New Mexico State
South Alabama
Texas Arlington
Texas State
Troy
03-29-2015 07:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
RE: Sun Belt's simplest solution
Ok... So who forces Misosuri State to join then?

It's my understanding that they pretty much have an open invitation, but have not made the jump.
03-29-2015 07:45 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-29-2015 07:45 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Ok... So who forces Misosuri State to join then?

It's my understanding that they pretty much have an open invitation, but have not made the jump.

With their recent emphasis in football...maybe that's the plan.
03-29-2015 07:48 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
The whole Missouri St idea has just about run its course. If they have an invite, and have not accepted, retract said invite and move on. I really don't see the positive in them other then stAte fans really want them because they are a neighbor state school, and someone in their neighborhood.
03-29-2015 07:49 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Gawd, How many of these threads are we gonna start? Can't wait til Football season gets here. . . . .

. . . And the simplest solution: Do nothing . . . It's easy, & Don't cost nothin' ... . .
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 07:53 PM by Bobcat87.)
03-29-2015 07:50 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Here is the easiest answer, we don't do anything. We stay with what we have and attempt to do our best to grow the brand of the SBC. What we do do is have a plan, with open communication with other conferences and schools. In these plans we have multiple scenarios already worked out, that way we don't get shocked and left grasping at straws for anything we can get.

Until then, let's position our selves as the best of the rest, so when the music stops again we are in the drivers seat and picking schools instead of losing them.
03-29-2015 08:04 PM
Advertisement

ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-29-2015 08:04 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Here is the easiest answer, we don't do anything. We stay with what we have and attempt to do our best to grow the brand of the SBC. What we do do is have a plan, with open communication with other conferences and schools. In these plans we have multiple scenarios already worked out, that way we don't get shocked and left grasping at straws for anything we can get.

Until then, let's position our selves as the best of the rest, so when the music stops again we are in the drivers seat and picking schools instead of losing them.

Adding UMASS for football and NMSU as full member while keeping Idaho temporarily as football gets us to CCG and gives us more time to see what develops. We would still have 12 in oly sports.
03-29-2015 08:13 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
We need to go after Missouri State, SIU, and EKU. All are in different states and offer different markets, forget about UMass or anymore football only schools, we should go for all or nothing.
03-29-2015 08:21 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(03-29-2015 07:49 PM)Usajags Wrote:  The whole Missouri St idea has just about run its course. If they have an invite, and have not accepted, retract said invite and move on. I really don't see the positive in them other then stAte fans really want them because they are a neighbor state school, and someone in their neighborhood.

I THINK (based on nothing other than what I've read here) is that we are going to do nothing by default.

From what SEEMS like those that can get the votes:
- It seems EKU isn't ready (but it also seems they are trying to get their ducks in a row).
- It seems like Missouri State (MSU ok?) isn't making a move now, for whatever reason.
- JMU. That's been discussed a BUNCH. Unless something significant changes within JMU, I don't think they'll change their tune.

Then you have the group that appears to want in, but can't get votes:
- NMSU Olympic sports. It seems the eastern states aren't interested in incurring additional travel costs without a second bid to the NCAA (or something similar).
- Liberty. They have been available, and are VERY much interested for the past 2 years. Don't see a reason that stance has changed.
- UMass football only? I don't know that they want in, and I can't say for sure they want to be in (though I think from a feasibility, they'd want in), but I didn't want to pick another category.

Since we are viable as a conference now, there's no need to force an issue. I guess if I was dead set on forcing the issue, I'd tell EKU & Missouri State there's one spot left and it's open to whichever jumps first. Then let them decide if they want to be FBS or not.
03-29-2015 09:04 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Very interested wouldn't even begin to describe our feelings on an invitation. And a full sports add would be the simplest solution outside of inertia.
03-29-2015 09:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think several things are complicating this "Let's get a 12th team" idea. There appear to be a set of schools who are not convinced that adding a conference championship game is even worth it from a financial perspective. So for them there is really no reason to go to 12 football teams. Also there appears a distinct split of the conference in who we should go after IF it is decided that going to 12 teams from an all sports perspective is helpful. The western schools or at least 3-4 of them strongly want NMSU brought in in all sports but I can't see any way right now they get the required 9 votes for that to happen. The eastern schools seem to be pushing EKU right now but I think there are a number of schools who just don't believe they are in a position to be FBS (and that may very well be correct.)

I think the Spring meetings in May will be interesting but count me in the group who believes NO ONE will be invited this Spring.
03-29-2015 09:12 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You guys ever consider this, maybe this is what is happening. The presidents won't go to twelve because Benson can't prove there is any money in a TV deal for it. Has Benson shopped the idea of a CCG, was there any interest from the networks??? If there is no interest, no TV and no TV revenue, there is no reason to go twelve and a CCG.

No reason to add another GaSt and Idaho when we don't have to.
03-29-2015 09:44 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-29-2015 09:44 PM)Usajags Wrote:  You guys ever consider this, maybe this is what is happening. The presidents won't go to twelve because Benson can't prove there is any money in a TV deal for it. Has Benson shopped the idea of a CCG, was there any interest from the networks??? If there is no interest, no TV and no TV revenue, there is no reason to go twelve and a CCG.

Georgia State is a plus in men's basketball and in time they will be competitive in football. I was glad to see Georgia State added as I think they will be good conference mates. Winning their first round game in basketball this year was huge. Arkansas State, ULM and Louisiana all struggled for many years when becoming IA. From being an independent to the days in the Big West. Look at WKU ast first when they moved to FBS as well FAU and FIU when they added football. They all struggled at first. We all know Idaho is not a long time solution as this is a temporary deal to give them a little time to figure their best course of action. If the Belt were to add UMASS, it would be for the same reason...a temporary deal to help them out like Idaho. If the Belt were to add EKU or Missouri State...it will be a while before either is ready. NMSU was a solid member the first time around and they would help our other sports. I just want to pieces of the puzzle to fall into place because in my opinion, we will need to get to 12 just as every conference by the Big 12 and us are there. The Big 12 will figure out that is also where they need to be.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 10:23 PM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
03-29-2015 10:21 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-29-2015 09:04 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 07:49 PM)Usajags Wrote:  The whole Missouri St idea has just about run its course. If they have an invite, and have not accepted, retract said invite and move on. I really don't see the positive in them other then stAte fans really want them because they are a neighbor state school, and someone in their neighborhood.

I THINK (based on nothing other than what I've read here) is that we are going to do nothing by default.

- It seems EKU isn't ready (but it also seems they are trying to get their ducks in a row).
- It seems like Missouri State (MSU ok?) isn't making a move now, for whatever reason.
- JMU. That's been discussed a BUNCH. Unless something significant changes within JMU, I don't think they'll change their tune.

- NMSU Olympic sports. It seems the eastern states aren't interested in incurring additional travel costs without a second bid to the NCAA (or something similar).
- Liberty. They have been available, and are VERY much interested for the past 2 years. Don't see a reason that stance has changed.
- UMass football only? I don't know that they want in, and I can't say for sure they want to be in (though I think from a feasibility, they'd want in), but I didn't want to pick another category.

Since we are viable as a conference now, there's no need to force an issue. I guess if I was dead set on forcing the issue, I'd tell EKU & Missouri State there's one spot left and it's open to whichever jumps first. Then let them decide if they want to be FBS or not.

You're probably right. That said, I wonder why UMass isn't utilized the same as the SB utilizes Idaho and NM St. A temporary 4 year rolling football only agreement would seem to be a reasonable compromise for UMass and the SB.

The Sunbelt gets its CCG. UMass gets a place to incubate its fledgling FBS football team. Most importantly, the Sunbelt isn't forced to commit long term to schools that don't really fit their footprint or ideal member profile. Such a strategy keeps the Sun Belt options open while schools that might fit their long term plan more closely develop.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 01:03 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-29-2015 10:29 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-29-2015 10:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

You probably right. That said, I wonder why UMass isn't utilized the same as the SB utilizes Idaho and NM St. A temporary 4 year rolling football only agreement would seem to be a reasonable compromise for UMass and the SB.

The Sunbelt gets its CCG. UMass gets a place to incubate its fledgling FBS football team. Most importantly, the Sunbelt isn't forced to commit long term to schools that don't really fit their footprint or ideal member profile. Such a strategy keeps the Sun Belt options open while schools that might fit their long term plan more closely develop.

Those are good points. Why not go ahead and add UMASS for football only and add NMSU in all sports? We still have agreements with Idaho and UMASS. But I could accept your position.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 12:10 AM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
03-30-2015 12:07 AM
IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
I would say get rid of both NMSU and Idaho since they are not in the Sun Belt footprint anu they don't do much for the conference in football.

Go back to a 9 team league where every team in the conference plays each other. Nobody will ever have a rivalry with NMSU or Idaho. We take them because no other conference wants them in football

TXST is feeling the effects of being outside the conference football by trying to get a bowl bid from the SBC bowls
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 01:01 AM by IdahoCajun.)
03-30-2015 12:54 AM
Advertisement

wb247 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: App State
(03-29-2015 08:04 PM)Usajags Wrote:  ... What we do do is have a plan...

You said doo doo... kinda.

02-13-banana03-drunk03-lmfao04-rock
03-30-2015 01:52 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Regarding EKU and MoSt, in reading these type posts the past few years, it seems those beating the drum for these schools are mostly fans of schools who believe there is a perceived value for them if either or both gets an invite. When JMU or Liberty is mentioned, the posts and responses come in droves and interest and passions are high. I'm yet to see that from MoSt or EKU fans here. Is this a sound action to consider those two schools with expected and hopeful interest? I'm missing the interest and passion.
03-30-2015 05:04 AM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(03-29-2015 10:21 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 09:44 PM)Usajags Wrote:  You guys ever consider this, maybe this is what is happening. The presidents won't go to twelve because Benson can't prove there is any money in a TV deal for it. Has Benson shopped the idea of a CCG, was there any interest from the networks??? If there is no interest, no TV and no TV revenue, there is no reason to go twelve and a CCG.

Georgia State is a plus in men's basketball and in time they will be competitive in football. I was glad to see Georgia State added as I think they will be good conference mates. Winning their first round game in basketball this year was huge. Arkansas State, ULM and Louisiana all struggled for many years when becoming IA. From being an independent to the days in the Big West. Look at WKU ast first when they moved to FBS as well FAU and FIU when they added football. They all struggled at first. We all know Idaho is not a long time solution as this is a temporary deal to give them a little time to figure their best course of action. If the Belt were to add UMASS, it would be for the same reason...a temporary deal to help them out like Idaho. If the Belt were to add EKU or Missouri State...it will be a while before either is ready. NMSU was a solid member the first time around and they would help our other sports. I just want to pieces of the puzzle to fall into place because in my opinion, we will need to get to 12 just as every conference by the Big 12 and us are there. The Big 12 will figure out that is also where they need to be.

To clarify, UL/USL never "became" 1A in the same way as the other schools you mentioned.
We were 1A from the start. It's the reason we were booted from the Southland conference.
03-30-2015 06:32 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(03-30-2015 12:07 AM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 10:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

You probably right. That said, I wonder why UMass isn't utilized the same as the SB utilizes Idaho and NM St. A temporary 4 year rolling football only agreement would seem to be a reasonable compromise for UMass and the SB.

Those are good points. Why not go ahead and add UMASS for football only and add NMSU in all sports? We still have agreements with Idaho and UMASS. But I could accept your position.

If you are going to reach as far north as UMass for a FB only invite, why wouldn't you forget about that and offer JMU or Liberty a FB only invite.

With JMU's situation, the CAA Football conference has a totally separate charter from the Olympic sports. JMU is already in two different conferences, it just doesn't appear that way to the outside world. Therefore, if you're willing to do it for UMass you'd be in a lot better shape with JMU instead.

As for LU, again make it a FB only invite to see if you are a good fit or not, just the same as you have done for Idaho. They may have a little different situation with the Big South as I'm sure they operate under only one charter, therefore, they'd need to find a home for their Olympic Sports if the BS wouldn't allow those sports to stay.

Everyone on here wants to toss a stone at the JMU admin in order to wake them up (me included), but I've heard not a single JMU fan defend our admin should we turn down an opportunity to go to the SB for football only.
03-30-2015 08:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.