Tunisians March Against Terrorism
03-29-2015 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Tunisians March Against Terrorism
Quote:Tunisians held a landmark election in December that ushered in a new, largely secular government.

Thought that was interesting and that it didn't get more press. Why is Tunisia seemingly ushering in less religious governance while the rest of the middle east seems to be going in the opposite direction?
03-29-2015 06:38 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(03-29-2015 06:38 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
Quote:Tunisians held a landmark election in December that ushered in a new, largely secular government.

Thought that was interesting and that it didn't get more press. Why is Tunisia seemingly ushering in less religious governance while the rest of the middle east seems to be going in the opposite direction?

Maybe because they're so close to Europe. They've seen sanity and they've seen hell. They're choosing sanity.
03-29-2015 07:55 PM
gobluebigjon Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball?
Cheers to them. Hope this starts a movement.
03-29-2015 11:15 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
The Tunisia isa paradox. They are the least threatening of the countries with Islamist governance, but they send more fighters to ISIS than any other country. They are probably the most beneficent To Jews and other religious minorities among the Muslim world (and that is not as uncommon as many may expect).

The word threatening may not be the best choice of words, but I expect most can infer a reasonable interpretation of what I intend.

This is of course,encouraging to see this gesture, and the attack they suffered was horrendous.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:12 AM by I45owl.)
03-30-2015 02:07 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Re: RE: Tunisians March Against Terrorism
(03-29-2015 06:38 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

I'm not sure what you mean by less religious... They are led by The Islamist Ennahda party. Tunisia 's history has a lot to do with the relative moderation.

Edit: Ok, that's a little out of date, secularists won a plurality in last fall's elections, but I question whether that signifies major shift.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:26 AM by I45owl.)
03-30-2015 02:10 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion...27036.html

Anyone find it funny that while the Arab summit is embarking on possible Joint military force against Terrorism and Iranian Aggression that 1 key player not found at the Summit is Washington for the first time in decades? Makes You go Hmmmmmmmm.
03-30-2015 08:01 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-30-2015 02:10 AM)I45owl Wrote:  They are led by The Islamist Ennahda party.

I love Islamist Enchiladas. Very tasty.
03-30-2015 09:12 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Ennahda was defeated in the last election round.

That said, it is a perfect example of how the West mislabels groups because Islamist does not mean what most think it does. Ennahda is Islamist in the same way the Republican party is Christian, not in the same way the Taliban is Islamist.
03-30-2015 09:21 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-30-2015 09:21 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Ennahda was defeated in the last election round.

That said, it is a perfect example of how the West mislabels groups because Islamist does not mean what most think it does. Ennahda is Islamist in the same way the Republican party is Christian, not in the same way the Taliban is Islamist.

Do you think their defeat represents a permanent shift? Note that the Tunisian constitution states their President's religion must be Islam. That said, if you alter your analogy to "the same way Jerry Falwell's vision of the Republican Party"... I think it would be more accurate.

From my impression of the spectrum regarding how secular the Islamist parties are,

Tunisia <<<<<< Turkey <<<< MB/Egypt <<< Iran/Hezbollah <<<<< HAMAS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< al Qaeda << ISIS

That said, Ennahda is still Islamist, and Tunisians are still the largest group of foreign fighters to ISIS/OG (ISIS Syrian Branch, or Original Gangstas).

edit: shifted Turkey rightward a bit. And note, while Turkey is still among the more secular purposed, they still agitate a lot in countries like Egypt, Syria, Gaza, Yemen, along with Qatari benefactors.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 10:44 AM by I45owl.)
03-30-2015 10:42 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
No, I don't think it is.

The economic situation is the biggest issue in the nation right now. That's where the election went.

The Ennahda Movement failed to slow the crisis.

Islamism is an issue but unlike in other areas of the Arab world. The issue centers around rather mundane things, like Hijabs in public buildings, as opposed to stonings or adultery laws.
03-30-2015 10:09 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
I guess I could see Ennahda moving in and out of power, as much as a two party system could in a parliamentary system.

The economy was the downfall of the MB in Egypt, but the system and culture there are so much different that the MB is unlikely to regain power any time soon (the military dominance of the economy and repression of the MB make that a near impossibility unless there is another popular uprising against the military leadership... plus, Egyptians are basically conditioned to be malcontents).

Turkey has a fundamentally stronger economy and dissatisfaction with the government there has a lot more to do with corruption and nepotism (or similar abuses) than the economy, but unless Ataturk comes back to life, I think that the JDP will be the dominant party for quite a while. (I think that's sad, for one because the Turks I've known and talked to about Turkish politics liked the secular nature of their pre-JDP society, and also because I think Ataturk is one of the most fascinating historical figures in the recent history of the region... and I'd like to know a lot more about him than I do).
04-01-2015 12:30 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Those ISIS f**ks better not mess with the old Star Wars set.
04-01-2015 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.