Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Real March Madness: NCAA Hockey Tourney Thread
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
The hockey tourney today with games in Fargo and Manchester, NH now underway. Boston U escaped with a 3-2 OT win against Yale earlier; as I type this, Michigan Tech leads St. Cloud 2-1 in the third and Minnesota-Duluth is wiping the floor with Minnesota, winning 3-0 after just one period. One-bid Big Ten is really showing up well so far. 03-lmfao

Quinnipiac-NoDak is later tonight, tomorrow we have the first round games in Providence (BC vs. Denver, Miami vs. Providence) and South Bend (Minnesota State-Mankato vs. Rochester Tech, Harvard vs. Nebraska-Omaha). Here's to an all-NCHC Frozen Four. 04-cheers
03-27-2015 06:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
RE: The Real March Madness: NCAA Hockey Tourney Thread
(03-27-2015 06:09 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  The hockey tourney today with games in Fargo and Manchester, NH now underway. Boston U escaped with a 3-2 OT win against Yale earlier; as I type this, Michigan Tech leads St. Cloud 2-1 in the third and Minnesota-Duluth is wiping the floor with Minnesota, winning 3-0 after just one period. One-bid Big Ten is really showing up well so far. 03-lmfao

Quinnipiac-NoDak is later tonight, tomorrow we have the first round games in Providence (BC vs. Denver, Miami vs. Providence) and South Bend (Minnesota State-Mankato vs. Rochester Tech, Harvard vs. Nebraska-Omaha). Here's to an all-NCHC Frozen Four. 04-cheers
The NCHC is 3-0 so far, as Duluth wiped out the Big Ten, St. Cloud St won in overtime, and UND beat QU. Its either going to be an all-NCHC Frozen Four, or three Boston teams and one NCHC interloper.

The B1G has got to be really disappointed: they blew up college hockey to be on the outside looking in. Their conference tournament couldn't draw flies, while the NCHC and WCHA tournaments drew fans.

minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/03/23/can-attendance-issues-at-college-hockey-tournaments-be-fixed/
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 11:24 PM by NoDak.)
03-27-2015 11:11 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-27-2015 06:09 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  The hockey tourney today with games in Fargo and Manchester, NH now underway. Boston U escaped with a 3-2 OT win against Yale earlier; as I type this, Michigan Tech leads St. Cloud 2-1 in the third and Minnesota-Duluth is wiping the floor with Minnesota, winning 3-0 after just one period. One-bid Big Ten is really showing up well so far. 03-lmfao

Indeed, this is the REAL March Madness, as NOTHING screams "Big Time College Athletics" like Minnesota State - Mankato vs Rochester Tech. 03-lmfao
03-28-2015 06:27 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
NCHC goes 3-0 as St. Cloud comes back, UMD kills Minny, and NoDak handles Q.
03-28-2015 09:21 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
You really got a hard on for Big Ten hockey eh? We get it, you hate us, no need for the bad sportsmanship considering I'm the only Big Ten fan around when it comes to hockey.
03-28-2015 09:30 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(03-28-2015 06:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Indeed, this is the REAL March Madness, as NOTHING screams "Big Time College Athletics" like Minnesota State - Mankato vs Rochester Tech. 03-lmfao

I guess you don't understand D1 hockey.

-------

Even after Saturday, the NCHC looking like it's the real deal.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 10:14 AM by Bronco'14.)
03-29-2015 10:13 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-29-2015 10:13 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  

I think I do. How many teams are there, about 60? And probably all of them are within a 6-hour drive of a Great Lake.

I'm sure to hockey fans, the "Frozen 4" or whatever it is called provides real excitement. I bet the Louisiana 3A high school girls basketball tournament does, too. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 10:19 AM by quo vadis.)
03-29-2015 10:18 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(03-27-2015 11:11 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

The NCHC is 3-0 so far, as Duluth wiped out the Big Ten, St. Cloud St won in overtime, and UND beat QU. Its either going to be an all-NCHC Frozen Four, or three Boston teams and one NCHC interloper.

The B1G has got to be really disappointed: they blew up college hockey to be on the outside looking in. Their conference tournament couldn't draw flies, while the NCHC and WCHA tournaments drew fans.

minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/03/23/can-attendance-issues-at-college-hockey-tournaments-be-fixed/

would be interesting if it was 2 hockey east and 2 NCHC
03-29-2015 12:27 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(03-29-2015 10:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I think I do. How many teams are there, about 60? And probably all of them are within a 6-hour drive of a Great Lake.

I'm sure to hockey fans, the "Frozen 4" or whatever it is called provides real excitement. I bet the Louisiana 3A high school girls basketball tournament does, too. 07-coffee3
Yes there's about 60 teams and the majority are East. Didn't realize the size of a league had to do with the excitement. But all he is saying is he's more interested in the Frozen 4, as am I. College hockey, and the Frozen 4, is a huge deal. A boatload of NHL talent have played in it too. There's a lot of history in it. He, nor I, have ever said that it compares to the basketball March Madness Final 4 on a national popularity level. If you think a big name like Alabama, Oregon, or some other team ESPN tries to force down people's throats is needed to make it 'big-time', you can go ahead and cheer for Michigan/Notre Dame/Boston College/Wisconsin etc who didn't even qualify for the tournament this season or got their asses wiped by a city/directional school in the tournament. College hockey is unique in the fact that schools that are D2 in other sports can go head-to-head with P5 schools in other sports in D1 hockey and pull off W after W. There's a lot of rumors of expansion with Arizona St announcing it's joining D1 (next year I believe?), but I'm not sure I really buy into most of them.

Also, this might be a North/South thing. Apparently down south the College World Series (and college baseball too for that matter) is a big deal. Up in the north here, the only time I ever see anything about college baseball is when I'm flipping through the channels and the Big 10 network has it on and they're playing a rival.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 04:24 PM by Bronco'14.)
03-29-2015 04:15 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(03-29-2015 04:15 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  

Yes there's about 60 teams and the majority are East. Didn't realize the size of a league had to do with the excitement. But all he is saying is he's more interested in the Frozen 4, as am I. College hockey, and the Frozen 4, is a huge deal. A boatload of NHL talent have played in it too. There's a lot of history in it. He, nor I, have ever said that it compares to the basketball March Madness Final 4 on a national popularity level. If you think a big name like Alabama, Oregon, or some other team ESPN tries to force down people's throats is needed to make it 'big-time', you can go ahead and cheer for Michigan/Notre Dame/Boston College/Wisconsin etc who didn't even qualify for the tournament this season or got their asses wiped by a city/directional school in the tournament. College hockey is unique in the fact that schools that are D2 in other sports can go head-to-head with P5 schools in other sports in D1 hockey and pull off W after W. There's a lot of rumors of expansion with Arizona St announcing it's joining D1 (next year I believe?), but I'm not sure I really buy into most of them.

Also, this might be a North/South thing. Apparently down south the College World Series (and college baseball too for that matter) is a big deal. Up in the north here, the only time I ever see anything about college baseball is when I'm flipping through the channels and the Big 10 network has it on and they're playing a rival.

Yeah I'm not a fan of basketball whatsoever, I love hockey as well. College baseball isn't high on my list of watching interests.
03-29-2015 05:17 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
one interesting point, traditionally northern sports like hockey and Lacrosse are growing in popularity while baseballs popularity is shrinking
03-29-2015 05:30 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

You guys think the reason why College baseball in the south is so popular because of the lack of pro Baseball teams? I know of people from North Carolina to Arkansas to Kentucky who are all Atlanta fans with no actual ties to the city or even Georgia.
03-29-2015 05:38 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(03-29-2015 05:38 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  You guys think the reason why College baseball in , the south is so popular because of the lack of pro Baseball teams? I know of people from North Carolina to Arkansas to Kentucky who are all Atlanta fans with no actual ties to the city or even Georgia.
I'm sure it helps. Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham are relative latecomers to the professional sports world. New Orleans even got its AAA team from Denver when the Colorado Rockies were born, and would not be a suitable market for MLB even pre-Katrina (although there was a AAA team called the Pelicans in 1977, but it moved to Springfield the next year).

Kentucky is pretty much neutral ground for MLB between the Reds, Cardinals, Braves, and Cubs. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some Pirates fans near the West Virginia border as well.

Part of North Carolina is in the Atlanta DMA. Even Greenville-Spartanburg clips both North Carolina and Georgia. Washington being absent from MLB for decades also helped Atlanta.

TBS is also responsible for much of the Braves' fanbase growth back during the SuperStation era.
03-29-2015 06:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-29-2015 05:30 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  one interesting point, traditionally northern sports like hockey and Lacrosse are growing in popularity while baseballs popularity is shrinking
Lax facilities are available anywhere football and soccer fields are.

Hockey has special needs, that are frequently not available even in Northern States like Pa, OH, IN, IL, and IA. The cost to participate and the transportation time is out of most families budgets, except where outdoor ice is available for several months.
03-29-2015 07:50 PM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(03-28-2015 09:30 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  You really got a hard on for Big Ten hockey eh? We get it, you hate us, no need for the bad sportsmanship considering I'm the only Big Ten fan around when it comes to hockey.

Yeah, no kidding. B1G Ice Hockey was terrible this year ..... but we don't need a Miami fan telling us that.

Speaking of Miami: 1-5 in their last 6 NCAA tourney games, and in all 5 of those losses, Miami was the better-seeded team. Perhaps we should start calling Enrico Blasi "the ANTI-Tom Izzo."
03-29-2015 09:03 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Frozen Four are set for Boston on April 9th:

Providence vs Nebr-Omaha

Boston U vs North Dakota

Championships:
UND -7
BU - 5
Prov - 0
UNO - 0

This is the first trip for UNO to a Frozen Four.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 10:03 PM by NoDak.)
03-29-2015 09:45 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
I was rooting for Denver a little. Have a soft spot for the Pios, as I would like to see them in the Big West someday.
03-30-2015 04:28 AM
jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(03-29-2015 09:45 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Frozen Four are set for Boston on April 9th:

Providence vs Nebr-Omaha

Boston U vs North Dakota

Championships:
UND -7
BU - 5
Prov - 0
UNO - 0

Has there been more funding for UNO hockey since they dropped football and wrestling a few years back?
03-30-2015 04:29 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-30-2015 04:29 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 09:45 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Frozen Four are set for Boston on April 9th:

Providence vs Nebr-Omaha

Boston U vs North Dakota

Championships:
UND -7
BU - 5
Prov - 0
UNO - 0

Has there been more funding for UNO hockey since they dropped football and wrestling a few years back?
When Omaha first started hockey in 1997, they played in the 9000 seat Municipal Auditorium, where its games were mostly sellouts. When it moved to the larger CenturyLink, more seats were always available, so season ticket holders were cannibalized during the next few years (avg 5500-6800 there) and there was a report that UNO hockey was in the red now. The CenturyLink had high rent, and people complained that it was too cavernous. Next year, UNO moves to its own newly built 7500 seat rink. With the smaller rink, tickets will again be at a premium and fans like the more intimate setting. I have no doubt the ice hockey paved the way for Omaha to move all sports to DI.

Omaha hired Dean Blais several years ago, who formerly coached UND to two titles before he left for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Most UND fans hold him in very high regard still. Dave Hakstol, our current coach, has been the the Frozen Four seven times in 11 years, but hasn't won a title. The fans are getting restless, as we haven't won with the new 11k seat arena.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 11:12 AM by NoDak.)
03-30-2015 11:07 AM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU

Denver U, Colorado College, Nebraska Omaha, Alabama Huntsville to name a few of the programs not in the Great Lakes & Northeast regions. Arizona is adding scholarship hockey starting next year. There are more College Hockey programs that draw over 1000 a game than College Baseball even though there are hundreds more baseball programs.

The NCAA College Hockey Tournament is one of less than a handful of NCAA Championship Tournaments that makes a profit (Hoops, Wrestling & Ice Hockey that's it)

Get out of your mom's basement and your stunted myopic view of college athletics already.
03-31-2015 12:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.