Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Fandom in Florida (Poll Results)
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Quote:College sports loyalties in Florida continues to be extremely closely divided between the Gators (23%) and Seminoles (22%), Central Florida and Miami tie for 3rd at 10%, followed by South Florida at 8%, Florida Atlantic at 4%, and Florida International at 1%.

Hooray, Miami.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-f...da/2222970
03-27-2015 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: College Fandom in Florida (Poll Results)
Hurricanes decade of mediocrity has caught up with them...

...not quite down to pre-Schnellenberger levels of fan indifference, but certainly on the way there if they don't turn it around SOON.
03-27-2015 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
Looks good to me!
03-27-2015 11:57 AM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
So there are more fans of ACC schools in Florida than SEC schools?
03-27-2015 12:38 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(03-27-2015 11:29 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Hooray, Miami.

[Image: B49MHorIUAAjLW4.jpg:large]

THE MIAMI-IZATION OF ESPN RADIO: Mr. Miami Dan LeBatard captains ESPN Radio's 4-7 p.m. national ship, and now the nighttime airwaves are going Miami, too. Starting this coming Monday, March 30, the reconfigured new lineup will feature "The Sedano Show" from 7-9 p.m., with Miami-raised Jorge Sedano, and then "The Right Time With Bomani Jones" from 9-11, featuring the South Beach-living LeBatard protege who had been Dan's co-host on Wednesdays.
-- greg cote

HEAR, HEAR
03-27-2015 12:44 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Wow from someone whom used to want to go to UF in my younger days and growing up with the Hurricanes while living in Miami in the 1960's, I'm impressed to see the fan Gap between FSU and UF has closed. I started noticing it around 2008 turning more students attending FSU. Glad to be ACC !
03-27-2015 01:19 PM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
Doesn't Florida have some sort of lottery or quota system that determines which in-state public university a particular high school grad may eventually attend? A niece who lived in Punta Gorda told me she felt she needed to apply to all of the state universities in Florida because only a certain number of grads from her high school would be allowed into each, and she wanted to be accepted into at least one of them. She ended up at USF and is currently studying abroad. If what she told me is true, then fandom may be influenced if large numbers of students who grew up as loyal fans of one school (perhaps their parents' alma maters) are obliged by the quota system to attend other institutions. Over time, it seems, popularity would therefore gradually shift to the schools (like UCF) with the largest enrollments.
03-27-2015 02:16 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 02:16 PM)colohank Wrote:  fandom may be influenced if large numbers of students who grew up as loyal fans of one school (perhaps their parents' alma maters) are obliged by the quota system to attend other institutions.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/l...-uf/nSWJW/

The university does not have the academic credentials of an Ivy League school, but to many Floridians, UF is the school to attend.
-- palm beach post

you employ specious logic ...
neither alumnus nor student necessarily equals fan ...
FAN = FAN
case in point: me
I attended uf undergrad & law ...
don't give a flying f_ _ k 'bout that school ...
a C-A-N-E to the core ...

SOULMATE
03-27-2015 02:44 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
That UCF unreal 60K enrollment will only make them grow larger.
03-27-2015 03:04 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 11:53 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Hurricanes decade of mediocrity has caught up with them...

...not quite down to pre-Schnellenberger levels of fan indifference, but certainly on the way there if they don't turn it around SOON.

[Image: ncaa-fb-florida.png]

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/...n-map.html

despite having done jack in god knows how long ...
Miami fandom dominates the most populous part of the sunshine state -- roughly 6m inhabitants -- according to a recent analysis of facebook likes ...

I GOT YOUR POLL RIGHT HERE
03-27-2015 03:06 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
Miami was always a bigger deal nationally than in Florida. I doubt Miami has ever been out of third place in terms of fans in Florida, just do to relative size. But nationally, it was the biggest deal in the 80s, held it's own in the 90s and 2000s with stiff competition.

Miami's value is never going to be in the fan base, it's just not worth talking about. It's contribution will be ratings and mindshare if they get good, as well as the potential to be really good in football. It's like bitching about Syracuse being cold, or poor FSU basketball attendance. You bring to the table what you can, and Miami needs to turn around their football performance, that's it. That's what needs to be expected of them, and where they are dropping the ball.

Doesn't matter if they have 35k fans or 65k fans in the stadium. That's not what they're here for.
03-27-2015 03:48 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

FSU basketball attendance was fine just a few years ago. But not making the ncaat while playing an ugly, awful, fundamentally poor brand of ball will destroy your attendance.

Anyways, no. There is no quota system in Florida. To my knowledge there never was. The only thing remotely similar is that a state/community college graduate is guaranteed acceptance into at least one state university, but that doesn't guarantee admission into all. Even then there is no quota.

FSU has received more applications than uf for the last ~5 years. Ucf enrolls ~12,000 new students every fall and ~6,000 are transfer students. Just some facts.

And south Florida is the largest metro in the state, but someone tell that Miami fan that the rest of the state is still home to more than twice the amount of people as south Florida. Outside of Dade, Miami fandom drops rather precipitously anyways.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 06:44 PM by Marge Schott.)
03-27-2015 06:43 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-27-2015 11:29 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
Quote:College sports loyalties in Florida continues to be extremely closely divided between the Gators (23%) and Seminoles (22%), Central Florida and Miami tie for 3rd at 10%, followed by South Florida at 8%, Florida Atlantic at 4%, and Florida International at 1%.

Hooray, Miami.

Who do the other 22% root for?
03-28-2015 10:05 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I'd imagine other schools or no rooting interest. Seems obvious.
03-28-2015 01:06 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-28-2015 10:05 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 11:29 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Hooray, Miami.

Who do the other 22% root for?

Virginia Tech! 04-cheers
03-28-2015 09:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Wouldn't surprise me if VT had more fans in Florida than Miami does.
03-28-2015 10:44 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I would have to guess that most of the unaccounted for 22% are fans of Georgia and Auburn, especially in North Florida and the panhandle region. So to answer WakeForestRanger's question. there are probably still more SEC fans than ACC fans.
03-29-2015 07:58 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
This isn't a shock to those that lived in Florida. I lived in south Florida and I came across way more fsu and uf fans vs Miami fans.
03-29-2015 11:03 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 06:43 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  And south Florida is the largest metro in the state, but someone tell that Miami fan that the rest of the state is still home to more than twice the amount of people as south Florida. Outside of Dade, Miami fandom drops rather precipitously anyways.

Miami’s identity, especially its sporting identity, can be hard to pin down, but I saw it emerge in the midst of the anti-LeBron, anti-Heat hysteria after the big-three were put together, when all the bitterness and jealousy came pouring upon the city and the team’s fans. The response was a defiant middle finger, a South Floridian version of the Millwall chant ‘no-one likes us, we don’t care’.
-- Simon Evans

I take exception to your use of the word precipitously or steeply ...
from boca to the keys, the University of Miami reigns supreme ...
if for no other reason than geographic isolation ...
hundreds of miles of bad road separate U & the nearest P5 competition ...

IT'S THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN
03-29-2015 01:06 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Dude, the NYT map you yourself linked shows that Miami's percentage in Broward and Palm Beach counties is substantially lower than in Dade. Go ahead. Look at your link. I don't mind.
03-29-2015 09:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.