03-27-2015 10:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Egypt to build a new capital east of Cairo
(03-27-2015 10:59 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31874886

That's cool and all, but I'm still never going to the Middle East or Africa. Too dangerous.
03-27-2015 11:30 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-27-2015 11:30 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

That's cool and all, but I'm still never going to the Middle East or Africa. Too dangerous.

Same here. I have seen the Pyramids on TV and African animals in the Zoo. There is absolutely zero gratification to either in person. I always remember how excited I was to go to the Grand Canyon and see it in person. After 15 minutes....I was ready to go.
03-27-2015 12:16 PM
Niner National Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
How is egypt planning to pay for this?

They don't produce much oil to finance huge building projects like their brothers on the Arabian peninsula.
03-27-2015 12:21 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 12:16 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Same here. I have seen the Pyramids on TV and African animals in the Zoo. There is absolutely zero gratification to either in person. I always remember how excited I was to go to the Grand Canyon and see it in person. After 15 minutes....I was ready to go.

I wouldn't even go to Dubai. Everyone talks about how amazing it is... and I'm sure it's beautiful. But there are people there who want to kill me because I'm white, American, and Christian. No thanks.

Parts of Europe are almost there, too. I felt very unsafe in East London near where West Ham United's stadium is. It was a Pakistani neighborhood. Very, very uneasy.
03-27-2015 12:24 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-27-2015 12:24 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

I wouldn't even go to Dubai. Everyone talks about how amazing it is... and I'm sure it's beautiful. But there are people there who want to kill me because I'm white, American, and Christian. No thanks.

Parts of Europe are almost there, too. I felt very unsafe in East London near where West Ham United's stadium is. It was a Pakistani neighborhood. Very, very uneasy.

As ****** up as it can get here?....It is still the best location on the damn planet.07-coffee3 When I run out of exploring this country I'll think about maybe exploring Canada.
03-27-2015 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

As a male, you'd be fine in Dubai. I'd never go anywhere near the middle east if I were a female.

Dubai doesn't really interest me though. I'd like to have a layover there just to check out the city for a few hours, but I have no interest in vacationing there.
03-27-2015 12:29 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2015 12:29 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Dubai doesn't really interest me though. I'd like to have a layover there just to check out the city for a few hours, but I have no interest in vacationing there.

I've vacationed there, and enjoy it.

I have expat friends who live there and love it. In particular, they love it as a place to raise children. I don't know whether I could live there or not.
03-27-2015 12:33 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-27-2015 12:27 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

As ****** up as it can get here?....It is still the best location on the damn planet.07-coffee3 When I run out of exploring this country I'll think about maybe exploring Canada.
Try Chile
03-27-2015 12:57 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
A new capitol? With what money?

Egypt is currently running a GDP deficit of 10.7% (the US' number is 2.5%). It runs a current account deficit of 4.4% (the US' number is 2%). Their currency has fallen by 20% in the last 18 months. Capital flight is a huge problem.

Egypt can barely feed itself. Much of the population depends on subsidized (and largely imported) wheat to sustain itself. Egypt has had trouble even managing that. Egypt is getting indirectly harmed by the oil collapse as it is dangerously reliant on remittances from the gulf states for income. Egypt used to be an oil exporter, but now the production has fallen to the point where production barely covers domestic production.
03-27-2015 01:28 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 01:28 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  A new capitol? With what money?

Egypt is currently running a GDP deficit of 10.7% (the US' number is 2.5%). It runs a current account deficit of 4.4% (the US' number is 2%). Their currency has fallen by 20% in the last 18 months. Capital flight is a huge problem.

Egypt can barely feed itself. Much of the population depends on subsidized (and largely imported) wheat to sustain itself. Egypt has had trouble even managing that. Egypt is getting indirectly harmed by the oil collapse as it is dangerously reliant on remittances from the gulf states for income. Egypt used to be an oil exporter, but now the production has fallen to the point where production barely covers domestic production.

If Obama & his allies in the Middle East get their way, there might be a whole bunch of Jews that could build Egyptian cities just like in the old days.
03-27-2015 01:36 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Which is exactly why I think there is a price at which Sinai can be purchased. And that price might be relatively cheap.

Of course, the real problem with a Palestinian homeland is that the ARABS don't want them to have one. The Arab countries would put pressure on Egypt to reject the offer. Unless, there's something in it for them. What would be enough? I like Tom Clancy's idea. Jerusalem as an international city.

Nothing above is cheap. But to paraphrase Holmes, when all other alternatives are impossible, you accept the improbable.
03-27-2015 01:48 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 01:48 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Which is exactly why I think there is a price at which Sinai can be purchased. And that price might be relatively cheap.

Of course, the real problem with a Palestinian homeland is that the ARABS don't want them to have one. The Arab countries would put pressure on Egypt to reject the offer. Unless, there's something in it for them. What would be enough? I like Tom Clancy's idea. Jerusalem as an international city.

Nothing above is cheap. But to paraphrase Holmes, when all other alternatives are impossible, you accept the improbable.

Egypt wouldn't sell the Sinai at any price.
03-27-2015 02:26 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-27-2015 01:36 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

If Obama & his allies in the Middle East get their way, there might be a whole bunch of Jews that could build Egyptian cities just like in the old days.

OUCH!!!!
03-27-2015 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2015 02:26 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

You don't know that.

That may be your opinion, but it is not a fact.

Make Jerusalem an international city, contingent upon getting agreement on Sinai as a homeland for Palestinians, and Egypt would come under an immense amount of pressure from the Arab world, indeed the entire Muslim world, to go along. Getting Israel to go along with the Jerusalem part would be difficult, but in exchange for defensible boundaries and recognition of its right to exist, it becomes doable.

We're playing poker with some pretty big chips there, but that's what it's going to take.

Then all we have to do is figure out what to do with Iran.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 03:03 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-27-2015 02:29 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2015 12:21 PM)Niner National Wrote:  How is egypt planning to pay for this?

They don't produce much oil to finance huge building projects like their brothers on the Arabian peninsula.

However Saudi Arabia tells them they are going to pay for it. Currently, that appears to be by sending troops to Yemen.
03-27-2015 02:54 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It won't be the first time Egyptian troops will be in Yemen.

The new Capitol will never happen though. It's just to draw attention elsewhere.
03-27-2015 03:28 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 02:29 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 02:26 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

You don't know that.

That may be your opinion, but it is not a fact.

Make Jerusalem an international city, contingent upon getting agreement on Sinai as a homeland for Palestinians, and Egypt would come under an immense amount of pressure from the Arab world, indeed the entire Muslim world, to go along. Getting Israel to go along with the Jerusalem part would be difficult, but in exchange for defensible boundaries and recognition of its right to exist, it becomes doable.

We're playing poker with some pretty big chips there, but that's what it's going to take.

Then all we have to do is figure out what to do with Iran.

Israel giving up J'lem? Egypt giving up the Sinai so that Israel can take Palestinian land in the West Bank?

Come on.
03-27-2015 03:39 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I find it funny that you deride actual suggestions with some specifics while championing some nebulous '2 state solution' with none. His idea may be far-fetched, but it's an idea... and everything else tried over the last 50 years with regard to 2 states has failed... and you haven't put forth any specific suggestions yourself... merely '2 states'.

The EASY (and quite frankly, most permanent) solution is for Israel to wipe out the Palestinians and take over the whole area themselves... problem for them solved. Arabs would only care because it would be a victory for Israel, and not because the Palestinians lost. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a people were 'run out' of their homeland... Americans have done it ourselves. I'm not saying it's a good option, but it's an option... and don't think it isn't on Israel's lost of possibilities.

Another option is to convince Palestine to leave Israel alone... not the other way around. THAT is the only way a 2 state solution works.... because Israel is the bigger 'dog' in the fight. Israel has no reason to attack Palestine, other than to stop Palestine from attacking them. The only OTHER similar solution is for Israel to give up their right to exist... and THAT isn't going to happen.

You want to isolate Israel, go ahead. The Palestinians are the ones who are at greatest risk there.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 05:25 PM by Hambone10.)
03-27-2015 04:07 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I read an article about the U.S. doing that because Washington has strayed so far from what it was intended to be. We could scrap the current government and start over with a capital in Kansas or Missouri. We could keep Washington as one giant museum.
03-27-2015 05:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.