Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How did Stainbrook leave WMU
Bookmark and Share
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
How did WMU let Matt Stainbrook get away? This guy is eating Arizona alive. He would have made WMU the best team in the MAC this year.
03-26-2015 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
RE: How did Stainbrook leave WMU
I remember watching him at WMU and he looked like a terrible, out-of-shape player.
03-26-2015 11:18 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
We used to call him Chubby Napoleon Dynamite. But man is he tearing it up...
03-26-2015 11:29 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(03-26-2015 11:08 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  How did WMU let Matt Stainbrook get away? This guy is eating Arizona alive. He would have made WMU the best team in the MAC this year.

Technically speaking, had Stainbrook stayed at WMU, he would've graduated last year.
03-27-2015 04:59 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Stain brook was grossly out of shape and had attitude problems out the young yang but he was never a terrible player.
03-27-2015 06:41 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(03-27-2015 04:59 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 11:08 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  How did WMU let Matt Stainbrook get away? This guy is eating Arizona alive. He would have made WMU the best team in the MAC this year.

Technically speaking, had Stainbrook stayed at WMU, he would've graduated last year.

This. Not to mention, Stainbrook leaving really opened the door for Whittington to shine. He was a pretty good player too, if I remember correctly.
03-27-2015 07:46 AM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
I saw him play only once and it seemed like he whined about not getting a call every time he shot it.
03-27-2015 08:01 AM
pennies4everybody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball U
(03-27-2015 08:01 AM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  I saw him play only once and it seemed like he whined about not getting a call every time he shot it.

Exactly. It seems to me that the change of scenery really changed him for the better in terms of attitude and weight (considering they asked him to drop weight when he arrived) at the very least. But that's just me looking at it from the outside, so I may be talking poo. Regardless, he had a great tournament and had a great run at X.
03-27-2015 08:43 AM
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

He was let go by Hawk and his staff....No tears were shed by teammates wishing he had stayed...He had a negative influence in the locker room...
He did get it together and turned into a very good player.
03-27-2015 09:20 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
They withdrew his scholarship? I don't think that is what happened. He wanted to leave and they wanted him to change or leave--a mutual parting. But I don't recall him being kicked off the team.
03-27-2015 09:37 AM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think he was kicked out of his last MAC tournament game and then went and sat on the bus. Evidently he needed a fresh start and a new environment, and probably Western was tired of his act. He did show a lot of potential as a player while at Western. Certainly Whittington last year was as good or better, so WM did not really miss him all that much.
03-27-2015 11:57 AM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

His scholarship was not renewed. Coach's decision. His attitude was a problem.

He did have weight problems, playing weight was about 290, and it wasn't muscle. He did try to lose weight but health problems that arose his freshman year kept him from working out that off-season. When healthy though he really worked at it, in high school he was 330, dropped to 290 that summer, and was down in the 270s before the season started.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-27-2015 01:01 PM
MACFAN Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MAC
Lengthy feature article on Matt in today's NY Times.

http://nyti.ms/1bBrVAl
03-27-2015 01:54 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Too bad Hawkins couldn't see that the kid WAS coachable and just needed some time and maturity. Maybe X is just a better situation. Whatever they did with him sure worked. He's had a couple of good seasons there and has been a productive team player in a disciplined system.

He was pretty tough as a freshman, but a bit of a prima donna. I think that game he got tossed at the MAC tourney was vs KSU, IIRC.
03-27-2015 02:56 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Interesting cat. I recall him just killing us at Toledo one year, then getting benched for screaming at a teammate during a TO and pointedly ignoring the coach. Sounds like he's grown up. WMU can sure lose talent.
03-27-2015 04:05 PM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

Re: RE: How did Stainbrook leave WMU
(03-27-2015 02:56 PM)axeme Wrote:  Too bad Hawkins couldn't see that the kid WAS coachable and just needed some time and maturity. Maybe X is just a better situation. Whatever they did with him sure worked. He's had a couple of good seasons there and has been a productive team player in a disciplined system.

He was pretty tough as a freshman, but a bit of a prima donna. I think that game he got tossed at the MAC tourney was vs KSU, IIRC.

He was brought in as a project to be redshirted, but his skills were such that the staff couldn't justify keeping him off the floor. In hindsight he really needed that year off to work on his body and maturity.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-27-2015 05:21 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(03-27-2015 05:21 PM)Tommyboy Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 02:56 PM)axeme Wrote:  Too bad Hawkins couldn't see that the kid WAS coachable and just needed some time and maturity. Maybe X is just a better situation. Whatever they did with him sure worked. He's had a couple of good seasons there and has been a productive team player in a disciplined system.

He was brought in as a project to be redshirted, but his skills were such that the staff couldn't justify keeping him off the floor. In hindsight he really needed that year off to work on his body and maturity.

That's one of the toughest choice the coaches have to make.
03-27-2015 06:39 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
that rs transfer year at x, with a tough veteran roster, seems to have molded him into the player and teammate he became the next 2 years.

you could compare him to jd weatherspoon. he came into osu with some hype, struggled with grades, getting on the court and attitude. transferred to toledo, used the year off to tighten up his game and grow into a better student and teammate and ended up being one of the top players on consecutive 20 win teams.
03-30-2015 04:45 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

A lot of 18-22 year olds choose to do their own thing. Sometimes it takes a second chance for it to "register" in their brains how important and short their time in college really is. Such is the case with Stainbrook. Glad he did well at X this year and got his act together.

and to clarify, yes, his scholarship did get removed and he was effectively booted from the team. He did not quit and he did not seek a transfer until that happened.
03-30-2015 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.