Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Women BB
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Women BB
Anybody heard how the search is going for the new coach for WBB?
03-25-2015 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johncatworth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT, UVA, Rice
RE: Women BB
Any chance former Texas and Duke coach Gail Goestenkors might be interested? She's an assistant in the WNBA these days...
03-26-2015 08:05 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
(03-25-2015 11:07 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Anybody heard how the search is going for the new couch for WBB?

FIFY
03-26-2015 08:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-26-2015 08:05 PM)johncatworth Wrote:  Any chance former Texas and Duke coach Gail Goestenkors might be interested? She's an assistant in the WNBA these days...

Would prefer we go the asst route like Rhoades. After coaching at UT I think there would be more talk of what UT had in the way of facilities and support than in coaching our players.
03-27-2015 12:27 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2015 08:14 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 11:07 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Anybody heard how the search is going for the new couch for WBB?

FIFY

Epic Applause
03-27-2015 12:33 AM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(03-27-2015 12:27 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 08:05 PM)johncatworth Wrote:  Any chance former Texas and Duke coach Gail Goestenkors might be interested? She's an assistant in the WNBA these days...

Would prefer we go the asst route like Rhoades. After coaching at UT I think there would be more talk of what UT had in the way of facilities and support than in coaching our players.

I agree - would love to see a young, energetic coach take over the program. I too thought briefly of Goestenkors - but would rather go in a different, younger direction. Her relatively weak results at what should have been an ideal UT job has lowered my opinion of her abilities. I'd love to see Becky Hammon get the job - but I assume that's a pipe dream. In the end, let's get someone that's young, hungry, and a strong motivator (e.g., Rhodes).
03-27-2015 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Becky Hammon would be home run of all home runs.
03-27-2015 03:39 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2015 03:39 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Becky Hammon would be home run of all home runs.

Does she have any interest? If she did, she would be a truly amazing hire!

I say that, there's a lot of due diligence that I haven't done, and I don't know what that might turn up. Obviously, the Russian situation might cause some to be reluctant. Not me, but some. On the surface, would be hard to imagine anyone better.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 05:35 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-27-2015 05:29 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I'll assume Bob wouldn't just throw her name out there without some insight as to that being someone we're talking to. There is the Greg Williams/Hammon connection (he coached her in college) so that would be an interesting transition - a little like the Goldsmith/Hatfield passing of the torch.

That said, I suspect she'll be a tough get. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she makes more as an NBA assistant than what we could pay her at Rice. And she might want to go after a slightly higher profile head coaching job (such as Kansas). But we'll see - that would be a tremendous get for Karlgaard.
03-27-2015 07:58 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2015 07:58 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'll assume Bob wouldn't just throw her name out there without some insight as to that being someone we're talking to. There is the Greg Williams/Hammon connection (he coached her in college) so that would be an interesting transition - a little like the Goldsmith/Hatfield passing of the torch.

That said, I suspect she'll be a tough get. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she makes more as an NBA assistant than what we could pay her at Rice. And she might want to go after a slightly higher profile head coaching job (such as Kansas). But we'll see - that would be a tremendous get for Karlgaard.

I hope you are right. I was thinking of posting a list of people I was hoping we might be able to get. She simply blows away anybody on my list.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 09:08 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-27-2015 09:07 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Women BB
Courtney Banghart was mentioned (but not by name) on a thread here a couple of weeks ago.
Her profile has gone up quite a bit since then.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/forbes-c...ld-leaders

Would be another home run for sure.
03-28-2015 06:53 AM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I was the one who mentioned her but I was just throwing out names. Princeton would be crazy to let her go at this point, that's a huge honor for her and the school to be featured on that list.

And getting back to Hammon for a second, I would be very surprised if she jumped ship in the middle of her first NBA season for a different coaching position. Perhaps after the season is over, but that's probably not going to be until late-April (or later - we are talking about the Spurs after all).
03-28-2015 07:06 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Women BB
(03-28-2015 07:06 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I was the one who mentioned her but I was just throwing out names. Princeton would be crazy to let her go at this point, that's a huge honor for her and the school to be featured on that list.

I'm glad you did - it's why I watched their first round win against Green Bay.

(03-27-2015 09:07 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I was thinking of posting a list of people I was hoping we might be able to get.
Post up!
03-28-2015 07:56 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I wouldn't want to confuse the issue by even mentioning anyone else if Becky Hammon is any realistic possibility.
03-28-2015 01:55 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

Becky Hammon is in the NBA coaching men. If she has further aspirations along that line, then she can't take another job coaching women. There isn't much crossover as far as I know.
03-28-2015 02:08 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-28-2015 02:08 PM)owl95 Wrote:  Becky Hammon is in the NBA coaching men. If she has further aspirations along that line, then she can't take another job coaching women. There isn't much crossover as far as I know.

That's why I really wasn't thinking of her until her name came up. I can see one angle where she might be interested. She isn't going to get her first head coaching job coaching men. That's not happening any time soon. Might be in her long term career interests to get the head coaching box ticked early.

As I said before, if she's genuinely interested and if there's any way to make the dollars work, I'd run my due diligence and if that came back clean, I'd focus on nothing but getting her name signed to a contract. She's head and shoulders above anyone else that I was thinking of.

She'd be here as a stepping stone, no doubt. It doesn't really make any sense for her to do it otherwise. But I'd take five years of what she'd bring, and take my chances on what I could find as a replacement once she had elevated the program.

And nothing is certain. It's not 100% that she'd work out. But I'd put her chances of success--and outstanding success--way, way higher than for anyone else I can think of.

She obviously knows how to coach. She obviously knows how to lead. And she'd have instant recruiting credibility in any home in America. You think somebody who wasn't drafted but became a 6-time All-Star and one of the 15 top players in WNBA history might, just might, be able to help you develop your talent? Yeah, so do I.
03-28-2015 04:41 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2015 04:41 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-28-2015 02:08 PM)owl95 Wrote:  Becky Hammon is in the NBA coaching men. If she has further aspirations along that line, then she can't take another job coaching women. There isn't much crossover as far as I know.

That's why I really wasn't thinking of her until her name came up. I can see one angle where she might be interested. She isn't going to get her first head coaching job coaching men. That's not happening any time soon. Might be in her long term career interests to get the head coaching box ticked early.

As I said before, if she's genuinely interested and if there's any way to make the dollars work, I'd run my due diligence and if that came back clean, I'd focus on nothing but getting her name signed to a contract. She's head and shoulders above anyone else that I was thinking of.

She'd be here as a stepping stone, no doubt. It doesn't really make any sense for her to do it otherwise. But I'd take five years of what she'd bring, and take my chances on what I could find as a replacement once she had elevated the program.

And nothing is certain. It's not 100% that she'd work out. But I'd put her chances of success--and outstanding success--way, way higher than for anyone else I can think of.

She obviously knows how to coach. She obviously knows how to lead. And she'd have instant recruiting credibility in any home in America. You think somebody who wasn't drafted but became a 6-time All-Star and one of the 15 top players in WNBA history might, just might, be able to help you develop your talent? Yeah, so do I.

If JK pulled this off there would be a line of schools outside his office the next day with suitcases full of dollars for him to leave.
03-28-2015 07:56 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-28-2015 07:56 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  If JK pulled this off there would be a line of schools outside his office the next day with suitcases full of dollars for him to leave.

Yes, I'm sure it's just a dream. But what the heck, if you're going to dream, might as well dream big.

This whole idea really has me excited. Too bad it won't happen. I'll say this, if she's good enough for Pop to add her to his staff, she's good enough to coach anywhere. I liked the line from one of the national writers when she was hired, "The Spurs don't do anything for show. They hired her because she's a great coach." Pop's all the recommendation that I would need.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015 08:07 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-28-2015 08:01 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2015 08:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-28-2015 07:56 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  If JK pulled this off there would be a line of schools outside his office the next day with suitcases full of dollars for him to leave.

Yes, I'm sure it's just a dream. But what the heck, if you're going to dream, might as well dream big.

This whole idea really has me excited. Too bad it won't happen. I'll say this, if she's good enough for Pop to add her to his staff, she's good enough to coach anywhere. I liked the line from one of the national writers when she was hired, "The Spurs don't do anything for show. They hired her because she's a great coach." Pop's all the recommendation that I would need.

Agree completely. It has been a long time since I paid much attention to the NBA and the few times I do it is to watch the Spurs or read about what they are doing.
03-28-2015 11:09 PM
johncatworth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT, UVA, Rice
here is an older list with some interesting candidates; several, like UT alum Kamie Etheridge, have already taken HC jobs; Carla Morrow at Xavier is a Houston native who would be interesting to me...http://www.collegeinsider.com/belzer/womens_highmajor.html
03-29-2015 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.