Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hurley leading candidate for DePaul -
Bookmark and Share
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Hurley leading candidate for DePaul -
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...swxM%22%7D

UB better have a backup plan or they could experience what OU did this season with #SaulBall.
03-24-2015 10:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Hurley leading candidate for DePaul -
This has nothing to do with him leaving, but i thought this was a great video that Jeff Goodman did with Hurley on Friday. For those other MAC fans that only see "game day" Hurley, this shows a little more what he is like as a person

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12547683
03-24-2015 10:53 PM
RecoveringHillbilly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo, WVU
As Corso would say...

Per Buffalo News and ESPN, Hurley has an agreement to stay on and become the highest-paid MAC coach.

He can do much better than DePaul or Fordham in the future.
03-25-2015 09:13 AM
zrb2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U at Buffalo
So now there are reports that Hurley is indeed going to DePaul for an interview. So much for that agreement to stay at UB. We shall see. As a Buffalo fan I'll be completely bummed out if he leaves. As a general MAC fan it would definitely hurt the league. UB is expecting some very solid recruits. If the Bulls perform next season as expected and schedule correctly, they could parlay all this Hurley success (and his name) into the MAC's first at-large bid in a long time. (if they fail to win the MAC tourney).
03-25-2015 10:23 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Well Buffalo is offering to make him the highest paid coach in the MAC, and all off of donation..

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/3/25/82758...lue-demons
03-25-2015 11:14 AM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
Contract extension just means a bigger buyout when the rich come calling.
03-25-2015 11:14 AM
Advertisement

rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Depaul? not an upgrade. They've been terrible for years.

But they about to build a new stadium, so they might be trying to turn the corner.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 11:17 AM by rocketinchitown.)
03-25-2015 11:17 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(03-25-2015 11:14 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Well Buffalo is offering to make him the highest paid coach in the MAC, and all off of donation..

That's pretty much a sign that he's already out the door. It's easy to commit a bunch of money toward a guy who won't be around to take it.
03-25-2015 11:19 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 11:14 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  Contract extension just means a bigger buyout when the rich come calling.

I've heard (1) Extension, (2) Highest paid coach in the MAC, (3) all moneies for it have been donated in the past two weeks.

I'd guess were talking about 5-600K before bonuses. Hoping to chase off other mid major programs and get more money when someone who can pay comes along.
03-25-2015 11:21 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 11:19 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 11:14 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Well Buffalo is offering to make him the highest paid coach in the MAC, and all off of donation..

That's pretty much a sign that he's already out the door. It's easy to commit a bunch of money toward a guy who won't be around to take it.

Also easy to commit a bunch of money to a guy when people donate money specifically for that purpose.
03-25-2015 11:23 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(03-25-2015 11:23 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 11:19 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  

Also easy to commit a bunch of money to a guy when people donate money specifically for that purpose.

Will they rescind those donations if he leaves? To me, how much a university will spend on a new, unproven coach is much more telling than how much they will spend on an incumbent with proven success. The former is what really shows how much they really think the program as a whole is worth to the university.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 11:29 AM by uakronkid.)
03-25-2015 11:29 AM
Advertisement

zrb2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U at Buffalo
UB might as well set up a "GoFundMe" account at this point. Ultimately he's gone. If he's convinced to stick around one more year I'll be happy.
03-25-2015 11:33 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
My guess is that he is doing UB a favor by signing a new deal that has more favorable-to-UB buyout provisions.

"Highest paid coach in the MAC"=1/2 of what big programs will pay. Hurley is not that far removed from his serious financial problems that he can refuse a multi-year deal that will guarantee him far more than he will make in the MAC over along period.

Honestly, I think he can turn a program like DePaul around. He's just the kind of guy to make it work. They would be crazy to hire another retread like Purcell (or Howland et. al.) Tons of resources, great new arena coming. He's hungry, motivated, full of energy. I think he's a perfect fit there. He will bring in a lot of support and attention and energize the fan base. They have a lot more upside than UB or any MAC program (and lots of money). Look what he did at UB which had none of what DePaul has. But forget the history. He can recruit. I don't care where he is. You get players, you coach them up, you win. He can do that.
03-25-2015 11:59 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 11:59 AM)axeme Wrote:  Hurley is not that far removed from his serious financial problems that he can refuse a multi-year deal that will guarantee him far more than he will make in the MAC over along period.

Are you his accountant or something?
03-25-2015 02:11 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

(03-25-2015 02:11 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 11:59 AM)axeme Wrote:  Hurley is not that far removed from his serious financial problems that he can refuse a multi-year deal that will guarantee him far more than he will make in the MAC over along period.

I think it was fairly public 6 or 7 years ago. He and his wife filed for bankruptcy after defaulting on a $1M loan. I heard about it only because it was in the national media at the time and saw it referenced again the other day in one of the articles or columns discussing his prospects. Not a big deal, but I imagine it influences his future financial decisions.
03-25-2015 02:43 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 02:43 PM)axeme Wrote:  

I think it was fairly public 6 or 7 years ago. He and his wife filed for bankruptcy after defaulting on a $1M loan. I heard about it only because it was in the national media at the time and saw it referenced again the other day in one of the articles or columns discussing his prospects. Not a big deal, but I imagine it influences his future financial decisions.

Yes and he may not need the money that much anymore. 7 years is a long time.

I'm not saying he is or is not ok financially but at this point your statement is a SWAG.
03-25-2015 04:35 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

(03-25-2015 04:35 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I'm not saying he is or is not ok financially but at this point your statement is a SWAG.

Maybe. If money is not a factor, he will be in Buffalo for a good while. I'm guessing money is a very big factor for these guys and for someone who burned through some very good NBA money, it may factor in even more. Maybe he has all the money he feels he needs, and DePaul and whoever else is looking for a coach are pissing in the wind.
03-25-2015 05:17 PM
DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Sorry, but exactly what has he done? Other than his name, he went 19-10 and 23-10 in his only two years as a head coach. It wasn't like Buffalo was rolling over other MAC teams. Not sure how someone offers big money with no track record, but we've seen it before.
03-25-2015 05:50 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 05:17 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 04:35 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Maybe. If money is not a factor, he will be in Buffalo for a good while. I'm guessing money is a very big factor for these guys and for someone who burned through some very good NBA money, it may factor in even more. Maybe he has all the money he feels he needs, and DePaul and whoever else is looking for a coach are pissing in the wind.

Of course money is a factor but you're not desperate then you can do some calcualting.

If you're Bobby Hurly you have to know that just one more good season at Buffalo opens doors that a so-so year at DePaul won't.

Buffalo is returning 4 starters, 5-7 rotation guys, has two good guys transferring in and is bringing in two solid prep players. They will be a better team next year than they were this season.

He can skip the mid tier jobs like DePaul and go huge next year.

Now.... I don't know the man so he be itching to leave Buffalo / take a quick pay day.
03-25-2015 05:50 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 05:50 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Sorry, but exactly what has he done? Other than his name, he went 19-10 and 23-10 in his only two years as a head coach. It wasn't like Buffalo was rolling over other MAC teams. Not sure how someone offers big money with no track record, but we've seen it before.

23-10 with a team that lost Javon McCrea, Jarod Oldham, and Joshua Freelove.
03-25-2015 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.