Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Large Donation
Bookmark and Share
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Large Donation
Surprised to see no one has posted this yet (maybe because it's actual good news):

http://www.jmu.edu/news/2015/03/20-hart-...hool.shtml

In summary, the School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management is now going to be called the Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management after GJ Hart donated $3M.
03-24-2015 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2014 Offline
2nd String

RE: Large Donation
It was posted in the Strategic Plan thread but it's definitely great news! JMU needs gifts like this and it's great to see us finally get a big one, especially from someone so well known!
03-24-2015 10:35 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(03-24-2015 10:35 PM)JMU2014 Wrote:  It was posted in the Strategic Plan thread but it's definitely great news! JMU needs gifts like this and it's great to see us finally get a big one, especially from someone so well known!

Yep! Nice job, '14. Way to put that together! 04-cheers

Good call.
03-25-2015 12:30 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Large Donation
Hart is the ceo of California pizza kitchen.
03-25-2015 05:52 AM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

(03-24-2015 10:26 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  Surprised to see no one has posted this yet (maybe because it's actual good news):

http://www.jmu.edu/news/2015/03/20-hart-...hool.shtml

In summary, the School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management is now going to be called the Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management after GJ Hart donated $3M.

Being a dickhead while also being wrong. The internet at its finest.
03-25-2015 06:59 AM
Big Duke Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jmu
California Pizza Kitchen for Dukes Football games. I could enjoy that.
03-25-2015 10:13 AM
Advertisement

NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(03-24-2015 10:35 PM)JMU2014 Wrote:  It was posted in the Strategic Plan thread but it's definitely great news! JMU needs gifts like this and it's great to see us finally get a big one, especially from someone so well known!

Cool - I've stayed away from that thread since it tended to devolve pretty quickly (within the first page). I am glad to know it was mentioned there.

As for DDD: no response
03-25-2015 10:44 PM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

(03-25-2015 10:44 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  

Cool - I've stayed away from that thread since it tended to devolve pretty quickly (within the first page). I am glad to know it was mentioned there.

As for DDD: no response

When people continually complain (FYI, you have done it twice in the first page) about "negative" post and then post things with sly comments that are negative, they are part of the problem and not the solution.

Hart has been involved in the COB for at least a few years now and while this is probably his highest donation, I doubt it was his first noteworthy one. I hope that whoever convinced him to write the big check will have as much good luck with other deep pocket donors.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015 07:52 AM by DoubleDogDare.)
03-26-2015 07:52 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
DDD as long as we're having an internet argument and policing negativity, your post was at least as equally unconstructive; moreso in my opinion.
03-26-2015 09:34 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I think we can all agree our Development office leaves a lot to be desired.

This is a nice gift, and one we need to duplicate.

I can remember my first COB 300 class in 2002, and the professor standing up and saying congrats on being admitted to the top CoB in Virginia. He then went on to explain that he had worked all over the state, and had never encountered students who were more prepared for success than JMU CoB students. He called us a hidden gem, and said that the priority was getting the CoB a name sponsor and increasing scholarships dramatically. Do that, he said, and JMU will be recognized as a top 15 undergrad CoB.

13 years later, we're still searching for that "name donor" for the college.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015 09:42 AM by JMU2004.)
03-26-2015 09:40 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

the fact that the new COB dean is (...or will be) chasing off faculty and staff left and right isn't helping foster donor relationships in the slightest.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015 09:43 AM by Deez Nuts.)
03-26-2015 09:43 AM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2015 09:43 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  the fact that the new COB dean is (...or will be) chasing off faculty and staff left and right isn't helping foster donor relationships in the slightest.

I wasn't impressed with that hire, in the least. Dr. Reid left some huge shoes to fill, and Gowan certainly hasn't made us forget him yet.

Due to funding concerns, we lost candidates who probably ranked higher in the pecking order.

That being said, it is not unusual for new Deans to implement their own policies and people, and consequently turnover in instructional faculty.
03-26-2015 09:49 AM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

Large Donation
I really like Dr. Gowan. She has very high standards and expectations for the COB. I have spoken with her numerous times and I am excited about her vision for the COB. She also isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and challenge the status quo at JMU. Dr. Gowan has my full support.
03-26-2015 09:58 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2015 09:58 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  I really like Dr. Gowan. She has very high standards and expectations for the COB. I have spoken with her numerous times and I am excited about her vision for the COB. She also isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and challenge the status quo at JMU. Dr. Gowan has my full support.

Don't know Dr. Gowan, but sounds like a president we used to have. Wanting everything to stay the same is not a recipe for success.
03-26-2015 10:06 AM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

(03-26-2015 09:34 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  DDD as long as we're having an internet argument and policing negativity, your post was at least as equally unconstructive; moreso in my opinion.

Now that we are on the topic. I don't complain about the negativity and then turn around and start a thread with the same bullsh!t. I only called a spade a spade. Did my post add to the "negatively"? Yes, and maybe that is why in your opinion it was worst, but I wasn't hypocritical. I guess my stance is (1)you can embrace the negativity as a part of internet discussions, or (2) you can speak against it / not partake. You cannot do both.

Are the boards a better place by calling the OP a dickhead? Nope. My apologies for taking it to that level.
03-26-2015 10:32 AM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

(03-26-2015 10:06 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 09:58 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  I really like Dr. Gowan. She has very high standards and expectations for the COB. I have spoken with her numerous times and I am excited about her vision for the COB. She also isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and challenge the status quo at JMU. Dr. Gowan has my full support.

Don't know Dr. Gowan, but sounds like a president we used to have. Wanting everything to stay the same is not a recipe for success.

I went to the Experiential Learning Trip happy hour on Monday night in Tysons. I didn't get an opportunity to talk to Dr. Gowan (I actually didn't see her most of the night) but she didn't make a speech. She had an opportunity to talk to 30+ alumni that were willing to give their time (or wanted free beer) to network with current students and in my eyes it would have been a perfect opportunity to mention the Dean's Club or new Showker building. She may have great ideas but those ideas take support (including monetary).
03-26-2015 10:40 AM
Advertisement

703Duke2011 Online
Water Engineer

Dr. Gowan recently came to speak to the Deloitte JMU alumni group and I was very impressed. She has high standards for the COB and wants the national recognition that she knows we deserve.

This probably should be it's own thread, but I've attached some pictures of new COB design... sorry for the quality...
[Image: JMU%20COB%201_zpsxermyem2.jpg]
[Image: JMU%20COB%203_zpslcyhgfe6.jpg]
[Image: JMU%20COB%202_zpsdfkvxney.jpg]
[Image: JMU%20COB%204_zpsuhpysljm.jpg]
03-26-2015 10:52 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2015 10:52 AM)703Duke2011 Wrote:  

Dr. Gowan recently came to speak to the Deloitte JMU alumni group and I was very impressed. She has high standards for the COB and wants the national recognition that she knows we deserve.

This probably should be it's own thread, but I've attached some pictures of new COB design... sorry for the quality...
[Image: JMU%20COB%201_zpsxermyem2.jpg]
[Image: JMU%20COB%203_zpslcyhgfe6.jpg]
[Image: JMU%20COB%202_zpsdfkvxney.jpg]
[Image: JMU%20COB%204_zpsuhpysljm.jpg]

goodness, that is sweet.
03-26-2015 10:57 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Large Donation
Please start a new thread with those photos. I absolutely love what I see, aside from a crowded exterior with eagle and such.
03-26-2015 11:00 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

good lord that is an undertaking. Hadn't seen any concepts on that yet. Nice!

edit - also, hell of a first post!
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015 11:04 AM by Deez Nuts.)
03-26-2015 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.