Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rumors:
Bookmark and Share
tweaky1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Razorbacks
Rumors:
Early at UALR, but already staring to hear some names. Bowling Green assistant Mark Downey (former HC at Arkansas Tech), Mississippi State assistant Wes Flanigan (from Little Rock), Arkansas assistant Matt Zimmerman, Tulsa assistant Dennis Felton, and current UALR assistant and former NBA center Joe Kleine. I have heard that not much will happen here until the UALR women’s squad finishes up their NCAA run.

http://www.hoopdirt.com/blog/c62b5593/da...i-3-19-15/
03-23-2015 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Rumors:
(03-23-2015 03:36 PM)tweaky1 Wrote:  Early at UALR, but already staring to hear some names. Bowling Green assistant Mark Downey (former HC at Arkansas Tech), Mississippi State assistant Wes Flanigan (from Little Rock), Arkansas assistant Matt Zimmerman, Tulsa assistant Dennis Felton, and current UALR assistant and former NBA center Joe Kleine. I have heard that not much will happen here until the UALR women’s squad finishes up their NCAA run.

No, I did not call the guy at hoopdirt. But, yes, I have floated every name on that list except the current pig. Doubt the guy knows any more than we do- probably has been reading this board. But, I still am excited with the names he is mentioning.
03-23-2015 03:45 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(03-23-2015 03:45 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 03:36 PM)tweaky1 Wrote:  Early at UALR, but already staring to hear some names. Bowling Green assistant Mark Downey (former HC at Arkansas Tech), Mississippi State assistant Wes Flanigan (from Little Rock), Arkansas assistant Matt Zimmerman, Tulsa assistant Dennis Felton, and current UALR assistant and former NBA center Joe Kleine. I have heard that not much will happen here until the UALR women’s squad finishes up their NCAA run.

No, I did not call the guy at hoopdirt. But, yes, I have floated every name on that list except the current pig. Doubt the guy knows any more than we do- probably has been reading this board. But, I still am excited with the names he is mentioning.

When I saw that entry on Hoop Dirt a few days ago I thought that the Dirt King must have been in contact with MJS!
03-23-2015 04:05 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

As a follow-up, who could this guy be possibly getting names from? I doubt Chasse is talking to anyone but the chancellor and maybe a couple of folks in the athletic department. Still, he acts like he knows something and all his names make a lot of sense. Unless he got it from our board, it is nice to know that I have been right on the money with the names I have suggested. Dr. J. has mentioned TJ Cleveland, but Zimmerman makes a lot more sense if we are going to go in that direction (i.e. gutterball).
03-23-2015 04:07 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Rumors:
From the people being contacted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-23-2015 04:13 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2015 04:13 PM)insideualr Wrote:  From the people being contacted.

I seriously doubt that, but I don't know how all this works. Are you suggesting that if Chasse calls Wes (or Downey, or Zimmerman, etc.) they then call this rumor mill and tell them they have been contacted? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
03-23-2015 04:21 PM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Rumors:
If the guy is right about who we are talking to, then use some reasoning.

Chasse is not calling the guy.

The coaches arent calling him but, if the list of names is even 50% right then people they are telling are talking and this guy is part of that loop.

It does not matter at the end of the day. They will hire someone i have never heard of.

03-23-2015 04:33 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

[quote='insideualr' pid='11914758' dateline='1427146388']
If the guy is right about who we are talking to, then use some reasoning.

Chasse is not calling the guy.

The coaches arent calling him but, if the list of names is even 50% right then people they are telling are talking and this guy is part of that loop.

It does not matter at the end of the day. They will hire someone i have never heard of.

Still don't get how some guy in NY, California, Atlanta (or wherever he is) would no more than I do. I also believed we would hire someone we never heard of. The fact that he pretty much quoted my list, makes me think we really could end up with someone like Dennis Felton, Downey, or Flanigan. If Felton is telling folks about our interest, he must have some interest as well. Good times are ahead for our program.
03-23-2015 04:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Speaking from experience, most of these websites get their info off of message boards. We used to make fun of the major coaching websites during our football searches because you could mention a name on our board and within a couple hours a few major sites were quoting sources confirming the validity of the rumor.

95 percent of what you get at this stage is agent's floating names to AD's off the advice of their client. I'm quite sure Mark Downey and Wes Flanigan have their agents working overdrive in letting Conque know of their interest through unofficial channels.
03-23-2015 05:13 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2015 05:13 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Speaking from experience, most of these websites get their info off of message boards. We used to make fun of the major coaching websites during our football searches because you could mention a name on our board and within a couple hours a few major sites were quoting sources confirming the validity of the rumor.

95 percent of what you get at this stage is agent's floating names to AD's off the advice of their client. I'm quite sure Mark Downey and Wes Flanigan have their agents working overdrive in letting Conque know of their interest through unofficial channels.

To my knowledge, Matt Zimmerman has never been mentioned on this board. I don't even know who he is? So that name obviously came from another source.04-cheers
03-23-2015 05:22 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-23-2015 05:22 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 05:13 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Speaking from experience, most of these websites get their info off of message boards. We used to make fun of the major coaching websites during our football searches because you could mention a name on our board and within a couple hours a few major sites were quoting sources confirming the validity of the rumor.

To my knowledge, Matt Zimmerman has never been mentioned on this board. I don't even know who he is? So that name obviously came from another source.04-cheers

Not really though. Zimmerman works for the University of Arkansas, and the general rule is that one pig assistant gets mentioned for the jobs of AState/UALR etc. Plus, I wouldnt be shocked if Zimmerman was interested in the job. He can't stay attached to Anderson forever.

It doesnt mean UALR is interested, just that he is interested. For example, we never contacted Tim Horton, or never remotely showed interest, but he was interested in our job, and he had an agent who was very good about leaking his name out to sites about job interest, as a way to create interest.

Jimmy Sexton does that with his clients all the time.
03-23-2015 05:27 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Zimmerman has bèen with Anderson at every stop. If we want gutter ball that's who we want.
03-23-2015 07:04 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

What has this guy ever done to be even considered for our job. Hell, Steve has a better resume than him, and we fired him.
Let him prove himself somewhere else. Ted Crass may be as qualified as he is.
03-23-2015 10:23 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock

+2
03-23-2015 10:45 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

Zimmerman is a nobody.
03-23-2015 10:46 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

Zimmerman has been mentioned for 0 jobs. He is not on anybody's radar.
03-23-2015 10:47 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(03-23-2015 10:47 PM)ez272 Wrote:  Zimmerman has been mentioned for 0 jobs. He is not on anybody's radar.

You know that, I know that, we all know that...but Zimmerman likely has told his agent to link his name to UALR, just to see if someone calls.
03-23-2015 11:36 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2015 10:23 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  What has this guy ever done to be even considered for our job. Hell, Steve has a better resume than him, and we fired him.
Let him prove himself somewhere else. Ted Crass may be as qualified as he is.

I'm surprised. I thought you were an Anderson fan. Matt Zimmerman was born in Little Rock and played high school ball in Arkansas. He was a volunteer assistant at UAF and has been an assistant for Mike Anderson at UAB, Missouri, and now at Arkansas. How can a fan of Mike Anderson not be in favor of a guy who has been his assistant for well over ten years? I guess you are not that enamored with gutterball when it comes right down to it.
03-24-2015 12:25 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

T.J. Cleveland played for Nolan. He played in that style as the starting point guard, and has coached with Mike since he left college. Yes, I'd give him a look. But Zimmerman was a student manager. I don't think he ever played in college under Nolan or anyone else. And he's never been a head coach at any college to my knowledge. He might be a fine young man, but he's not equipped to be the head coach at UALR.
03-24-2015 09:38 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-24-2015 09:38 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  T.J. Cleveland played for Nolan. He played in that style as the starting point guard, and has coached with Mike since he left college. Yes, I'd give him a look. But Zimmerman was a student manager. I don't think he ever played in college under Nolan or anyone else. And he's never been a head coach at any college to my knowledge. He might be a fine young man, but he's not equipped to be the head coach at UALR.

He's as equipped as just about any assistant in the country, if you believe that Mike Anderson is a good coach, mentor, and teacher. Obviously, you don't. I would take someone who has worked under Coach K, Roy Williams, Bill Self, etc. for over ten years in a heartbeat. I just checked and Zimmerman worked under Anderson since 2002, so that is 13 years. That is a pretty long apprenticeship.
I will agree that there is no way we hire this guy- I just would have thought he would be someone you would be high on.
03-24-2015 10:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.