Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT So where in the world is Hurley heading?
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
OT So where in the world is Hurley heading?
DePaul?
03-23-2015 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: OT So where in the world is Hurley heading?
Hondo Carpenter, a really solid Michigan State insider, said that Hurley and Alabama have mutual interest. That's one to look out for. Better chance at winning at Bama and the weaker SEC than at DePaul and the strong Big East.

EDIT: Although now it looks like Alabama will try to pry Gregg Marshall away from Wichita State. Good luck with that.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 12:54 PM by EagleSam.)
03-23-2015 12:52 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Hurley? how about DePaul, Seton Hall, or maybe...St. John's. I think Hurley would thrive in a big metropolitan, city program...heck, Rutgers? I really wish EMU would make a splashy, local interest hire for their next coach. We really need to wake up the fanbase. I am so jealous that Buffalo was able to think outside the box and hire Bobby Hurley.
03-23-2015 07:05 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

You're jealous of everyone Bob. We get it.
03-23-2015 07:48 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2015 07:48 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  You're jealous of everyone Bob. We get it.
I think we are all ready for coach Murphy to move on. There is no passion for EMU basketball. I guess you can't expect the fans to get excited about EMU hoops when the coach looks like he would rather be somewhere else. When you can't draw 1,000 fans for conference games, you are basically bleeding the program dry and stealing paychecks. My advice: take that NBA scouting job, there probably aren't too many DI coaching opportunities for coaches who only know 1 defense, 0 offensive sets, and have the personality and charisma of a loaf of bread...Ron Hunter, let's talk.
03-24-2015 09:15 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2015 09:15 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 07:48 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  You're jealous of everyone Bob. We get it.
I think we are all ready for coach Murphy to move on. There is no passion for EMU basketball. I guess you can't expect the fans to get excited about EMU hoops when the coach looks like he would rather be somewhere else. When you can't draw 1,000 fans for conference games, you are basically bleeding the program dry and stealing paychecks. My advice: take that NBA scouting job, there probably aren't too many DI coaching opportunities for coaches who only know 1 defense, 0 offensive sets, and have the personality and charisma of a loaf of bread...Ron Hunter, let's talk.

Meh. Stop speaking for everyone else.
03-24-2015 09:35 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
If Hurley left the players who have already signed with Buffalo in the fall would have the option to re-open their recruiting, correct?
03-24-2015 10:10 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2015 10:10 AM)emu79 Wrote:  If Hurley left the players who have already signed with Buffalo in the fall would have the option to re-open their recruiting, correct?

Not if they signed. They'd need the school to release them from their LOI. Some schools do, some don't. Further proof at how crappy the NCAA is...coaches can come and go whenever they want and make millions of dollars, but the kids have to sit seasons out, request releases from the school, and don't make anything.
03-24-2015 10:30 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

If there is a better candidate to lead EMU basketball, EMU needs to make an effort to see if there is mutual interest. Stuck in neutral is no way to run an athletic department. We've seen the ceiling with Murphy...and it's not very high, it is also not lower than previous coaches. Dare to be great! I still believe EMU basketball is a sleeping bear with lots of potential.
03-25-2015 07:35 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I heard MSU assistant Dane Fife on the radio being interviewed by Matt Shepard. He sounds so much like Izzo. He's been an assistant at MSU for 5 years, he is ready for the next step.
03-25-2015 07:37 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2015 07:37 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I heard MSU assistant Dane Fife on the radio being interviewed by Matt Shepard. He sounds so much like Izzo. He's been an assistant at MSU for 5 years, he is ready for the next step.

He was already a head coach at IPFW (with minimal success), and left that position to become Izzo's assistant. No thanks.
03-25-2015 08:24 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Sounds like Hurley is the front runner for the DePaul job, according to Jeff Goodman. Between him and Bryce Drew...hopefully it's Hurley. I love what Drew has done at his alma mater and I hope he stays there.
03-25-2015 08:25 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2015 07:35 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  If there is a better candidate to lead EMU basketball, EMU needs to make an effort to see if there is mutual interest. Stuck in neutral is no way to run an athletic department. We've seen the ceiling with Murphy...and it's not very high, it is also not lower than previous coaches. Dare to be great! I still believe EMU basketball is a sleeping bear with lots of potential.

It just isn't realistic. They aren't firing Murphy unless he completely bombs next season. You can spew your self-motivation seminar quotes ("dare to be great"? I literally lol'ed), but nothing will change anytime soon. Nor should it. As others have pointed out, Murphy's expectations will be higher next season, but firing him now is only something a moron would do. Or if we had a slam dunk hire on a "handshake" agreement, and quite frankly, that doesn't really happen here.
03-25-2015 08:34 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2015 08:24 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 07:37 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I heard MSU assistant Dane Fife on the radio being interviewed by Matt Shepard. He sounds so much like Izzo. He's been an assistant at MSU for 5 years, he is ready for the next step.

He was already a head coach at IPFW (with minimal success), and left that position to become Izzo's assistant. No thanks.
Actually he was successful and he turned down EMU to be an assistant at MSU.
03-27-2015 07:18 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2015 07:18 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

82-97 overall. Four seasons under .500. Best season (by far) was 18-12 (11-7) and that was his final year. Basically, a worse resume than the guy you want to get rid of. Sounds "successful" to me. Keep on trollin', Bob!
03-27-2015 07:21 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2015 08:34 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 07:35 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  If there is a better candidate to lead EMU basketball, EMU needs to make an effort to see if there is mutual interest. Stuck in neutral is no way to run an athletic department. We've seen the ceiling with Murphy...and it's not very high, it is also not lower than previous coaches. Dare to be great! I still believe EMU basketball is a sleeping bear with lots of potential.

It just isn't realistic. They aren't firing Murphy unless he completely bombs next season. You can spew your self-motivation seminar quotes ("dare to be great"? I literally lol'ed), but nothing will change anytime soon. Nor should it. As others have pointed out, Murphy's expectations will be higher next season, but firing him now is only something a moron would do. Or if we had a slam dunk hire on a "handshake" agreement, and quite frankly, that doesn't really happen here.
Also, let's not forget that Ron English-like abusive rant after an EMU loss, as reported exclusively by Super! Why was he let off the hook for that?...(okay, I couldn't resist). 01-wingedeagle
03-27-2015 07:28 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2015 07:21 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

82-97 overall. Four seasons under .500. Best season (by far) was 18-12 (11-7) and that was his final year. Basically, a worse resume than the guy you want to get rid of. Sounds "successful" to me. Keep on trollin', Bob!
Sam, you are deliberately manipulating the statistics. He took over a dead program and as you stated, turned the program around by his final season. If he didn't, EMU would not have been extremely interested in him during their most recent coaching search. The second point is...how do I say this...HE HAS BEEN AN ASSISTANT COACH UNDER TOM IZZO FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 07:32 AM by Bob Wickersham.)
03-27-2015 07:31 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2015 07:31 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 07:21 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Sam, you are deliberately manipulating the statistics. He took over a dead program and as you stated, turned the program around by his final season. If he didn't, EMU would not have been extremely interested in him during their most recent coaching search. The second point is...how do I say this...HE HAS BEEN AN ASSISTANT COACH UNDER TOM IZZO FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not deliberately manipulating anything. I gave facts. You act like Murphy took over a juggernaut. We were a very bad team in Ramsey's final year, and that was BEFORE Bowdry graduated. Basically, you want to replace our coach with a coach that doesn't have NEARLY the resume. I'd be absolutely furious if this actually happened. Wouldn't even be a lateral move.

Mark Montgomery was an Izzo assistant too. FOR TEN YEARS!!!!! (I can turn on my caps lock too, Bob!) He's really tearing it up over there at NIU, isn't he? I love Izzo and I'm a Michigan State fan, but he isn't perfect, and neither is his coaching tree.
03-27-2015 07:43 AM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(03-24-2015 10:30 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 10:10 AM)emu79 Wrote:  If Hurley left the players who have already signed with Buffalo in the fall would have the option to re-open their recruiting, correct?

Not if they signed. They'd need the school to release them from their LOI. Some schools do, some don't. Further proof at how crappy the NCAA is...coaches can come and go whenever they want and make millions of dollars, but the kids have to sit seasons out, request releases from the school, and don't make anything.

True, but not true. Yes, an incoming player who has signed a letter of intent must request to be released by the school but I don't know if a school has ever denied that request to an incoming student. Take Ohio last year for example- Ohio had 4 LOIs when Jim Christian left for Boston College. Immediately the AAU Coach/handler for Ohio's incoming 4 star recruit starts saying on twitter that Ohio is denying his player a release. This in turn gets a bunch of reactions about how its not fair, etc. etc. and draws attention to his player that he is hoping to pimp to other schools.

But the reality is that Ohio couldn't "deny" the release until the player formally sends a request to be released, and no formal request had been made at that point. The only statement Ohio had made was that it wasn't going to release anyone from an LOI until the new head coach had a chance to meet with each player. Once that happened all 3 players that requested releases were given released. BTW, the 4 star player that was so eager to get released immediately signed with Tennessee who just lost their coach today for providing financial benefits to recruits at his previous school. As for the other players released, one went to USF and the other went to Buffalo.

Now, when it comes to releasing players who are already enrolled and want to transfer, YES, that is a huge pile of hypocritical nonsense from the NCAA. Another Ohio example from last year- 3 players requested a transfer from Houston when they changed coaches, 2 upperclassman starters and a freshman reserve. The freshman was granted immediately release, the two starters were denied and had to fight to finally get released. The freshman ended up at Ohio, the other two at A&M and Oklahoma. Now, here's more nonsense from the NCAA- all 3 players requested an exemption from having to sit out this season, the 2 starters that transferred to high majors were granted the exemption and played this year, the freshman that transferred to Ohio was denied. How does that make any sense?

If Hurley leaves I think they could see Evans and Bearden follow him which will be a huge blow to the Bull's future.
03-27-2015 11:59 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Gary Parrish of CBS Sports reports Hurley is a "serious candidate" for Arizona State. Interesting.
04-08-2015 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.