Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

STR: $EC getting serious about Hoops?
Bookmark and Share
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
STR: $EC getting serious about Hoops?
This post is STR in this vein; I believe that the schools commonly known as P5 are increasingly attempting to separate themselves from the remaining D1 schools in basketball and other sports.

I've mentioned here before that the influx of cash - driven primarily by TV$ / football - will have an impact on other sports as well.

Thus, the old axiom of "$ only pertains to football" is no longer valid. Football drives the dollars bus, yes....but when those dollars are received schools are also spending in other sports as well.

Why? Because
- they can, and
- they need to improve product in other sports to make their respective Sports Networks more viable via additional programming.

While no coaching hire is a Guaranteed Success, look at some of the names the $EC has hired in the last ~5 years:

- Cal at Ken$ucky
- Mike Anderson at Arkansas
- Frank Martin at USC
- Pearl at Auburn
- Howland (?) at Mississippi St.

Sure, there are other hirings that are still in question, Donnie at TN, Johnny Jones at LSU (actually I think he's gonna be REAL good there).

Overall, I think with E$PiN driving the $$$ bus, and giving $EC Major Props during hoops broadcasts for "how tough their conference is" (how many times did announcers say this?) there will be increasing pressure for other schools to up their ante on hiring good coaches from a salary perspective.

Long-story-short: the P5 schools are ramping things up so that G5 schools will have a difficult time keeping up, even in non-football sports. They'll be able to offer a staff at least $1M more annually than a Wichita State, or Georgetown, or MEMPHIS can pay. In addition to salaries, you'll see state-of-the-art arenas, practice facilities, recruiting tools, etc.

Memphis must do whatever it takes to get in the B12. (Capt. Obvious statement, I know...) It's not just about the best home for basketball, or keeping a great football coach, or recruiting on a reasonable playing field.....it's about survival as a Major player in collegiate sports, period.

Lastly, and this will be difficult for some (including me!) we have to be more supportive of our conference mates. The solidarity shown in the $EC (one of Slive's greatest achievements, BTW) is outstanding. The BiG is similiar in that regard. They support conference mates when their own team isn't playing. (EX: Darn near every BiG fan was pulling for tOSU in the football playoff, because a win for tOSU was a win for the Conference...everyone except Michigan fans, I don't think they could stomach supporting tOSU in anything.)

So when WVU plays in the Liberty Bowl against an $EC school, we need to show up and cheer for WVU...let the B12 see the "Memphis love" and how much more would occur if we were actually a member.
OR, when SUM is playing UCONN, don't watch Florida vs. Ken$ucky.

Why watch or cheer for an $EC school that only seeks to rob us of talent and opportunity???

Again, sorry for the L-O-N-G post...just wanted to get my thoughts out there.

Your thoughts?
03-23-2015 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger-viper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: STR: $EC getting serious about Hoops?
part of this is ensuring our basketball program doesn't go down the crapper. replacing pastner with a quality coach should be a high priority.
03-23-2015 11:33 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
The way the ncaa tournament committee picked and seeded should tell you all you need to know.
03-23-2015 11:35 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(03-23-2015 11:33 AM)tiger-viper Wrote:  part of this is ensuring our basketball program doesn't go down the crapper. replacing pastner with a quality coach should be a high priority.

Keep dreaming because he is going to still be here next season
03-23-2015 11:36 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(03-23-2015 11:35 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  The way the ncaa tournament committee picked and seeded should tell you all you need to know.

tru dat
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

You missed my point, and you're trying to make this about CJP.

It's NOT. It's about conference affiliation, TV dollars, and the changing landscape.

Example: Compare Rutgers and Cincinnati. Which sports programs have been the best over the last 10 years? Cincy hands down. Not even close. But who got invited to the BiG? RUTGERS. Because they brought eyeballs which affects TV dollars which drove their conference affiliation.

I know people aren't happy with CJP right now; but not EVERY post and EVERY thing has to do with the performance of his teams....stop making it seem that way.
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

+3 for the OP. Spot on!
03-23-2015 11:38 AM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-23-2015 11:36 AM)Merrick Wrote:  You missed my point, and you're trying to make this about CJP.

It's NOT. It's about conference affiliation, TV dollars, and the changing landscape.

Example: Compare Rutgers and Cincinnati. Which sports programs have been the best over the last 10 years? Cincy hands down. Not even close. But who got invited to the BiG? RUTGERS. Because they brought eyeballs which affects TV dollars which drove their conference affiliation.

I know people aren't happy with CJP right now; but not EVERY post and EVERY thing has to do with the performance of his teams....stop making it seem that way.

This. and further, Basketball and realignment is a one way street. Realignment can help basketball, but basketball can't help realignment.
03-23-2015 11:38 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(03-23-2015 11:36 AM)Merrick Wrote:  You missed my point, and you're trying to make this about CJP.

Wichita St seems to have no problem. They just destroyed their instate juggernaut. Everything is coach related at this point in time. Especially with the deck being stacked against us.
03-23-2015 11:39 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

(03-23-2015 11:39 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Wichita St seems to have no problem. They just destroyed their instate juggernaut. Everything is coach related at this point in time. Especially with the deck being stacked against us.

OMG let it go for one day
03-23-2015 11:42 AM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

the money is there to make a change in basketball, and folks are willing to pony up. bowen needs to realize basketball boosters aren't going to drop a dime on football, so he might as well take their money and use it find us a good coach.
03-23-2015 11:47 AM
Advertisement

Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

(03-23-2015 11:47 AM)tiger-viper Wrote:  the money is there to make a change in basketball, and folks are willing to pony up. bowen needs to realize basketball boosters aren't going to drop a dime on football, so he might as well take their money and use it find us a good coach.

WRONG.

Boosters will up the ante for football; the school has never given them a reason to do so.

This past year, the Tigers has shown people what can happen with the right resources and support.
03-23-2015 11:50 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
The problem isn't Bowen.
03-23-2015 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
(03-23-2015 11:33 AM)tiger-viper Wrote:  part of this is ensuring our basketball program doesn't go down the crapper. replacing pastner with a quality coach should be a high priority.

We already have a quality head coach.

This might help you (you're welcome in advance):
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/ba...sheet.html
03-23-2015 11:53 AM
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

Bluto, I know you have sources so I'm surprised that you've driven this comparison.

Let me help:

- WSU does not have football expenditures as they don't have a team.
- WSU is on a good run right now, but they will never be considered for a P5 invite.
- WSU's win over Kansas with the first since 1987.
- WSU may soon lose their coach; and while the fanatical base they have will continue to support the team, their success is more "coach-based" than "program-based".

Memphis is more "program-based" in that we've seen success under multiple coaches and decades. We have a ripe recruiting base that will help sustain through down years. WSU doesn't have those things to the same level.

Their current team is better, yes. But long-term I believe Memphis to be in a MUCH better position.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 11:58 AM by Merrick.)
03-23-2015 11:56 AM
macphil30 Offline
1st String

I Root For: tigers
(03-23-2015 11:42 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  

But it's true.
03-23-2015 11:58 AM
Advertisement

tiger-viper Offline
All American

(03-23-2015 11:53 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  

We already have a quality head coach.

This might help you (you're welcome in advance):
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/ba...sheet.html

yes, we do. his name is justin fuente. i'm talking about a quality basketball coach.
03-23-2015 11:59 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

(03-23-2015 11:58 AM)macphil30 Wrote:  

But it's true.

Not every thread about basketball has to be about Pastner.
03-23-2015 12:00 PM
poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators

03-23-2015 12:02 PM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-23-2015 11:47 AM)tiger-viper Wrote:  the money is there to make a change in basketball, and folks are willing to pony up. bowen needs to realize basketball boosters aren't going to drop a dime on football, so he might as well take their money and use it find us a good coach.

The Boosters are well aware of what is happening. We have been down the basketball road, and got left at the alter. Not going to make the same mistake twice. A lot of things matter to other conferences. Basketball is not one of them.
03-23-2015 12:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.