Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTEP and NMSU Looking at Future Conference Affiliations
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
UTEP and NMSU Looking at Future Conference Affiliations
http://www.kvia.com/news/utep-and-nmsu-l...s/31855908

EL PASO, Texas -
UTEP faces Murray State in an NIT game Tuesday night.

Meanwhile, New Mexico State is set to face Kansas in an NCAA tournament game on Friday.

ABC-7 sat down with the athletic directors from both schools recently to discuss their conference affiliations and what's being done to better those situations.

For the fifth year in a row, the Miners, who play in Conference USA, are not playing in the NCAA tournament. And while the Aggies are, they could do no better than a No. 15-seed by winning the Western Athletic Conference, leaving many wondering about their future in those conferences.

"There was a lot of movement in the last 10 years or so," Stull said recently about the conference landscape. "It's settled down dramatically Geographically, the Mountain West is a little better fit for us, just the fact you have the mountain states and a little bit more West."

Stull admits the Mountain West, consisting of many of the old Western Athletic Conference schools that UTEP used to play, like New Mexico, Colorado State and Air Force, is a consideration.

"I think there's always somewhat of an attraction to the Mountain West," Stull said, "just the fact where they are and we'll always keep our eyes open."

Consider this: Conference USA, where UTEP plays, has got only seven schools to the NCAA tournament over the past five years. The WAC, where NMSU plays, has got only five NCAA tournament bids over the past five years, with only the postseason tournament champion getting in. Meanwhile, the Mountain West Conference, where many believe UTEP and NMSU should be playing, has got 16 NCAA tournament bids over that five year period and each one of those games is worth about $250,000 to the conference and its schools. So there is money to be made.

"Certainly, it would be wonderful if all of our sports competed under one conference banner," said NMSU Mario Moccia, talking about the Aggies' double life, playing in the Sun Belt in football, but the WAC in basketball.

"It's delicate, because you're in a conference, you don't want to look ungrateful," Moccia said. "But you're right, it is a tough world and you've got to look out for yourselves."

Moccia mentioned the Mountain West, which has 11 schools, could be seeking a 12th member. Some believe UTEP and NMSU should team up as travel partners and seek membership in the same conference. Moccia told ABC-7 he plans to meet with Stull soon and discuss the possibilities.
03-18-2015 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV, MWC
RE: UTEP and NMSU Looking at Future Conference Affiliations
I'd be okay with UTEP, but no to New Mexico State.
03-18-2015 04:43 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I'd be fine with it. It moves BSU to the west division.
NMSU and UTEP are part of the El Paso MSA that is 1.1 million and growing more than 10%/year. New economic realities may show that together they are better off. Whether its for CUSA or MW.

NMSU's new president and AD are turning around the program.
03-18-2015 04:52 PM
westophilia Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Boise State
(03-18-2015 04:27 PM)f1do Wrote:  http://www.kvia.com/news/utep-and-nmsu-l...s/31855908

EL PASO, Texas -

Meanwhile, New Mexico State is set to face Kansas in an NCAA tournament game on Friday.

ABC-7 sat down with the athletic directors from both schools recently to discuss their conference affiliations and what's being done to better those situations.

For the fifth year in a row, the Miners, who play in Conference USA, are not playing in the NCAA tournament. And while the Aggies are, they could do no better than a No. 15-seed by winning the Western Athletic Conference, leaving many wondering about their future in those conferences.

"There was a lot of movement in the last 10 years or so," Stull said recently about the conference landscape. "It's settled down dramatically Geographically, the Mountain West is a little better fit for us, just the fact you have the mountain states and a little bit more West."

Stull admits the Mountain West, consisting of many of the old Western Athletic Conference schools that UTEP used to play, like New Mexico, Colorado State and Air Force, is a consideration.

"I think there's always somewhat of an attraction to the Mountain West," Stull said, "just the fact where they are and we'll always keep our eyes open."

Consider this: Conference USA, where UTEP plays, has got only seven schools to the NCAA tournament over the past five years. The WAC, where NMSU plays, has got only five NCAA tournament bids over the past five years, with only the postseason tournament champion getting in. Meanwhile, the Mountain West Conference, where many believe UTEP and NMSU should be playing, has got 16 NCAA tournament bids over that five year period and each one of those games is worth about $250,000 to the conference and its schools. So there is money to be made.

"Certainly, it would be wonderful if all of our sports competed under one conference banner," said NMSU Mario Moccia, talking about the Aggies' double life, playing in the Sun Belt in football, but the WAC in basketball.

"It's delicate, because you're in a conference, you don't want to look ungrateful," Moccia said. "But you're right, it is a tough world and you've got to look out for yourselves."

Moccia mentioned the Mountain West, which has 11 schools, could be seeking a 12th member. Some believe UTEP and NMSU should team up as travel partners and seek membership in the same conference. Moccia told ABC-7 he plans to meet with Stull soon and discuss the possibilities.

Um, the MW has 12 members...this guy looks like a fool IMO.
03-18-2015 06:18 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-18-2015 06:18 PM)westophilia Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 04:27 PM)f1do Wrote:  http://www.kvia.com/news/utep-and-nmsu-l...s/31855908

EL PASO, Texas -

WRONG.

MWC has 11 members. Hawaii is a football only affiliate, and thus not a member.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 06:26 PM by dbackjon.)
03-18-2015 06:26 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-18-2015 06:26 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

EL PASO, Texas -

WRONG.

07-coffee3

True. But then, football is the only sport where 12 is a meaningful number.
03-18-2015 06:33 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-18-2015 06:33 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 06:26 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

EL PASO, Texas -

WRONG.

07-coffee3

True. But then, football is the only sport where 12 is a meaningful number.

12 is the minimum for a CCG, but 13 or 14 works just as well

Odd numbers are a real pain in the ass for other team sports to schedule. 12 or 14 work much better.
03-18-2015 06:37 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
The MWC may have 12 football schools now but they will be losing some so they might as well be proactive and invite schools like UTEP and NMSU in order to protect themselves when that day comes.
03-18-2015 06:45 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
I could see UTEP. But New Mexico state really needs to think about a FCS conference.
03-18-2015 07:17 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(03-18-2015 07:17 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I could see UTEP. But New Mexico state really needs to think about a FCS conference.

As things stand now? Yes, but that wont be the case indefinitely.
03-18-2015 07:25 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I don't feel like MWC expansion is capable of getting votes unless SMU or Houston were involved.

SMU basketball or Houston football would be no brain additions. UTEP I feel was a quality WAC member of the past but where is the potential? New Mexico State elicits even more issues as an addition.

Then there is where Boise State falls on the issue of expansion. Right now the Bronco's get to play football against the front range schools. If you add UTEP and NMSU to the Mountain Division that will force Boise to force to the pacific, which from a travel perspective might be more favorable but with SJSU, Fresno, Nevada and Hawaii all playing in that division it feels too much like the WAC.

My guess this is just a lot of wishful thinking on the part of UTEP/NMSU.
03-18-2015 08:25 PM
Advertisement

UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-18-2015 08:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I don't feel like MWC expansion is capable of getting votes unless SMU or Houston were involved.

SMU basketball or Houston football would be no brain additions. UTEP I feel was a quality WAC member of the past but where is the potential? New Mexico State elicits even more issues as an addition.

Then there is where Boise State falls on the issue of expansion. Right now the Bronco's get to play football against the front range schools. If you add UTEP and NMSU to the Mountain Division that will force Boise to force to the pacific, which from a travel perspective might be more favorable but with SJSU, Fresno, Nevada and Hawaii all playing in that division it feels too much like the WAC.

Boise would rather play rivals Fresno State and Nevada every year. They are also developing a rivalry with SDSU. They'd prefer the west than the mountain.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 08:37 PM by UNLVFan90.)
03-18-2015 08:37 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2015 08:37 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 08:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I don't feel like MWC expansion is capable of getting votes unless SMU or Houston were involved.

Boise would rather play rivals Fresno State and Nevada every year. They are also developing a rivalry with SDSU. They'd prefer the west than the mountain.

Then its time to get on the phone with Rice and UTSA to see if they can handle a conference upgrade.

Let Texas St backfill in CUSA and they can stay at 12. NMSU is more likely to be retained by the SBC if they take another enrollment hit.
03-18-2015 10:06 PM
Waterloo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: State U of IOWA
I don't think the MWC should or needs to do anything. They proved to be the best G5 this season and they have the possibility to repeat that success. Besides, if they wait long enough they may be able to pick up SMU and Houston if the AAC gets raided again.

The MWC media deal isn't that great either, might as well hold for now.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 11:20 PM by Waterloo.)
03-18-2015 10:27 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(03-18-2015 07:17 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I could see UTEP. But New Mexico state really needs to think about a FCS conference.

Name an FCS conference where their travel is significantly cheaper, more importantly name one where they can continue to host UTEP and New Mexico every other year in football.

FCS makes no sense for NMSU. Only FCS leagues in their area are Southland and Big Sky. Can't see SLC members wanting them and Big Sky means travel to Portland, Eastern Washington, etc.
03-18-2015 11:10 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Add Gonzaga to compliment Hawaii. NMSU and UTEP would be decent adds to the MWC
03-18-2015 11:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

buffdog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Fresno State/CU
(03-18-2015 06:45 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  The MWC may have 12 football schools now but they will be losing some so they might as well be proactive and invite schools like UTEP and NMSU in order to protect themselves when that day comes.

Which schools are leaving the MWC?
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 11:46 PM by buffdog.)
03-18-2015 11:46 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2015 11:46 PM)buffdog Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 06:45 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  The MWC may have 12 football schools now but they will be losing some so they might as well be proactive and invite schools like UTEP and NMSU in order to protect themselves when that day comes.

Colorado State to the B12.
The University of Nevada to the PAC.
03-19-2015 12:08 AM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-19-2015 12:08 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Colorado State to the B12.
The University of Nevada to the PAC.

Haha. Good one.
03-19-2015 12:09 AM
He1nousOne Offline

Your's for one. How does being in a division with Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State and BYU sound to you?
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2015 12:45 AM by He1nousOne.)
03-19-2015 12:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.