Open TigerLinks

Ashlar Hall, aka Mongo's Castle
Bookmark and Share
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Ashlar Hall, aka Mongo's Castle
so I live next door and see it every morning as I drink my coffee, but the last 2 days an INSANE amount of work has been going on over there...they're removing all the overgrown trees, taking everything not bolted down out and throwing it away, tearing up all the worn pavement, etc.

I do hope they end up doing something useful with it like a Bed and Breakfast, or that Veterans Center they were talking about.

they've filled 3 dumpsters in 48 hours...

[Image: image_zpsacxoroqy.jpg]

[Image: image_zpskl4vud7j.jpg]
03-17-2015 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
RE: Ashlar Hall, aka Mongo's Castle
I thought after the comic con thing got shot down they didn't couldn't find any use for it. Who is footing the bill for the reno?
03-17-2015 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMemphis Away

Donators
^ no one will say...it's ridiculously secretive over there...I asked a couple of the workers and they were told they can't say who's paying them, or what they're removing/installing.

Feels like something odd is going on over there...
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 09:16 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-17-2015 06:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(03-17-2015 06:11 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  ^ no one will say...it's ridiculously secretive over there...I asked a couple of the workers and they were told they can't say who's paying them, or what they're removing/installing.

It's being remodeled into a Chick Fil-A.
03-17-2015 10:03 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
It's a mystery. What a great view.
03-17-2015 10:07 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I have friends in the know. I will check on this. This is either very good or very bad.

BTW, have you all seen what is happening in the renovation of the 19th Century Club? They have taken out so much rotten fascia and wood, it is amazing that there is anything left to save. They are going great guns to repair it the right way, and it will be a rock solid new home for what I hope is a kickass Chinese restaurant and upscale venue for events.
03-17-2015 11:48 PM
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(03-17-2015 11:48 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  I have friends in the know. I will check on this. This is either very good or very bad.

BTW, have you all seen what is happening in the renovation of the 19th Century Club? They have taken out so much rotten fascia and wood, it is amazing that there is anything left to save. They are going great guns to repair it the right way, and it will be a rock solid new home for what I hope is a kickass Chinese restaurant and upscale venue for events.

I was going to mention the 19th century club - they are doing a ton of work on it. Someone bought and is restoring the smaller historic church behind the 19th century club too.

I hate union avenue between the medical district and kroger - hopefully the city will start enforcing beautification and really look at any future plans. I know some of the linkous family doing construction on the midtown kroger and it should be nice with a very nice streetscape/amenities.
03-18-2015 08:19 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

Should add developers seem to be all very discreet in town about projects- when the tract of land by the highland strip changed hands and the church was demolished all of the construction workers were hush hush about the new owners. One wonders if Citizens to Preserve Overton Park is still remembered by developers.
03-18-2015 08:23 AM
papajohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
50 year old Chicago native Keith Williamson is hoping to turn it into Faces Supper Club & Lounge, hopefully by the 4th of July. It's intended to be a family friendly, but reservation only restaurant with about six dining rooms serving New Orleans inspired food. Two rooms upstairs will have hibachi type grills similar to Benihana. He plans to have a specially ventilated cigar room, live local music, especially jazz.

The problem is these new plans have not been approved by the Environmental Court, which has oversight on this parcel due to all the code violations and fines. Next EC meeting is Monday.

More detail can be found in an article in the Commercial Appeal today by Thomas Bailey, Jr.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 09:28 AM by papajohn.)
03-18-2015 09:23 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
How in gods green earth do you go from community veterans center to reservation only restaurant and lounge?
03-18-2015 09:37 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

It's too bad that the Frago guy couldn't get it worked out (sounds like he couldn't). That was a great, innovative idea that could've rippled to benefit many both individuals and the region as a whole.

The restaurant idea sounds like it could work -- houses have worked as restaurants in Victorian Village, along Central (there was that Indian place), and around Overton Square.

I would've preferred the coworking/coliving startup space for veterans transitioning to civilian life, as that would be unique to at least the area, if not (probably not) the country, but more important is a productive use that preserves the facility.
03-18-2015 09:40 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-17-2015 10:03 PM)mapdude Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 06:11 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  ^ no one will say...it's ridiculously secretive over there...I asked a couple of the workers and they were told they can't say who's paying them, or what they're removing/installing.

It's being remodeled into a Chick Fil-A.

While I'm not a fan of their politics, as long as they stick to food, I'd welcome them as a neighbor.
03-18-2015 10:40 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(03-18-2015 09:37 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  How in gods green earth do you go from community veterans center to reservation only restaurant and lounge?

More to the point - cigar lounge, jazz, hibachi, new orleans in the same restaurant? Very strange...
03-18-2015 10:50 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
I wonder if they will offer sand volleyball on the grand lawn, lol
03-18-2015 11:25 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2015 10:50 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 09:37 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  How in gods green earth do you go from community veterans center to reservation only restaurant and lounge?

More to the point - cigar lounge, jazz, hibachi, new orleans in the same restaurant? Very strange...

Jerome Hardaway (dude that was going to do the Vet Center through Frago) was interviewed on the CreativeMemphis podcast. Sounds like he's no longer pursuing Ashlar Hall, it never came up. So there's the opportunity for the restaurant opening up.
03-18-2015 12:17 PM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I worked there when it was the Conestoga Steak House in the 80's. The city made them cover the balcony to prevent the air from being sucked in and causing a updraft through the kitchen. The master bedroom upstairs had a huge shower with copper pipes and different levels shooting water towards the center. Huge water tank was located in the attic for the plumbing. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
03-18-2015 03:04 PM
Advertisement

MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
(03-18-2015 03:04 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  I worked there when it was the Conestoga Steak House in the 80's. The city made them cover the balcony to prevent the air from being sucked in and causing a updraft through the kitchen. The master bedroom upstairs had a huge shower with copper pipes and different levels shooting water towards the center. Huge water tank was located in the attic for the plumbing. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Copper in a vacant building in that area of town??? Bet that didn't stay long
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 03:13 PM by MemphisTiger15.)
03-18-2015 03:13 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-18-2015 10:50 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

throw in "family friendly" on top of a cigar lounge & jazz club?

I'm not buying just yet, but places like Lafayette's run the gamut as far as clientele goes based on the time of day. I would take my 5 year old to brunch there, so maybe it's a fit.
03-18-2015 03:21 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-18-2015 03:13 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  
(03-18-2015 03:04 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  I worked there when it was the Conestoga Steak House in the 80's. The city made them cover the balcony to prevent the air from being sucked in and causing a updraft through the kitchen. The master bedroom upstairs had a huge shower with copper pipes and different levels shooting water towards the center. Huge water tank was located in the attic for the plumbing. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Copper in a vacant building in that area of town??? Bet that didn't stay long

ah, the thug hardened streets of Central Gardens...03-lmfao

they brought out a backhoe, today:
[Image: image_zpsepfcoj9l.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 04:22 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-18-2015 04:18 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
right next to lamar.
not exactly the best part of "central gardens"

hope y'all got a carry permit if youre headed that way.
Sheesh. I delivered dominos in that part of town once upon a time.
bleck.
03-18-2015 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.