Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Jalen Lawson
Bookmark and Share
michaelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: The U of M
Jalen Lawson
This guard from Brentwood was as good as any guard I've seen all year, including some of our point guards, I was very impressed watching him against Hamilton.

Quote: Confident, intense Lawson expected a different ending

By Maurice Patton for the Williamson Herald

MURFREESBORO – Jalen Lawson wasn’t surprised when he came out of Brentwood’s Class AAA state championship contest Saturday against Memphis Hamilton.

As instrumental as the senior guard has been to the Bruins’ postseason performance, he’s also astute enough to know he wasn’t giving his team what it needed when he exited three minutes into the second half.
Sizzle Subscribe 300x250 Moody's 300 x 250

“I wasn’t playing well,” said the 5-10 Lawson, who returned before the end of the quarter and helped spark a late – and ultimately unsuccessful – comeback in an eventual 65-62 title-game loss.

“I respect that decision to get someone in there that’s playing well, keep things together and give us a chance to win.”

Those lapses by Lawson were rare since he took over the point guard position heading into the District 11-AAA tournament, following the dismissal of James McPherson. In three state tournament games, he averaged 14 points and seven assists – including a double-double (15 points, 10 assists) in the quarterfinal win over White County and a 19-point, six-assist performance Saturday.

“We knew we had two of the best point guards in the Midstate,” said veteran coach Dennis King in reference to Lawson, who moved to Brentwood from Birmingham his sophomore year, and McPherson. “One of them had to go to the wing. But Jalen got a lot of experience at the point last year. We knew we wouldn’t miss a beat.”

But with everything on the line Saturday, King chose to sit Lawson momentarily and banked on him returning refocused.

“At the end of the second quarter, he was having a meltdown,” King said.”(Friday) we sat him for a little bit, and it seemed to readjust his settings. He wasn’t getting a handle on the ball. We just needed to get him some time to watch a little. When we put him back in, he was brilliant.”

“He’s as quick, as instinctive, as electric a point guard as has come through Brentwood – and maybe the Midstate.”

With Hamilton threatening to pull away late in the third, Lawson scored on a backdoor layup with five seconds remaining to make it a 42-36 game.

“I wasn’t necessarily looking to do something at that point, but as long as we could get something at that point and get some momentum, that was all that mattered,” he said. “That just happened to be the play.

“It’s a complete team thing. We’re all in this together.”

It was a team thing, too, when after trailing 54-39 with four minutes left, Lawson hit three 3-pointers down the stretch to fuel Brentwood’s rally.

“We were either going to get embarrassed, or do something epic,” King said. “We challenged them to reach down and find something. We almost had a ‘Hoosiers’ win.

“We couldn’t get him off in the first quarter. He took some shots I’ve seen go in (that didn’t). It’s a balance between giving him the green light to find his stroke and letting him shoot us out of the game. But he got readjusted, and we had a shot to win.”

Behind the 3-pointers – Lawson’s and three more from Ian Bennie and Tanner Tapp – and a pass from Lawson to set up a Grant Teichmann three-point play, the Bruins took a 62-61 lead inside the final minute before coming up empty on their final two possessions.

“I just encouraged everyone to keep going and believe we can come back,” Lawson said. “With these guys, there’s nothing we go into thinking we can’t accomplish, as long as we play together and play as a team.”

03-17-2015 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Jalen Lawson
Looks like pookie
03-17-2015 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigeriron Offline
All American

I Root For: ban negativity
go all in and call with pookie and broddie at pg. that's a dang good hand showing. pook with a year under his belt will shine soon enough. I assume broddie is a natural pg, but correct me if wrong.

can you even count on kedren?
03-17-2015 10:16 PM
Advertisement

tigeriron Offline
All American

I Root For: ban negativity
actually, just watched the vids. maybe this is the right jalen of choice. there's some cold blood there
03-18-2015 12:14 AM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Any chance he is a distant cousin and would want to join his west Tennessee family next season?
03-24-2015 12:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBo Offline
All American

(03-17-2015 10:16 PM)tigeriron Wrote:  go all in and call with pookie and broddie at pg. that's a dang good hand showing. pook with a year under his belt will shine soon enough. I assume broddie is a natural pg, but correct me if wrong.

Broddie is another off guard with D1 PG aspirations. We need a PURE PG.
03-24-2015 08:26 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(03-24-2015 12:44 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Any chance he is a distant cousin and would want to join his west Tennessee family next season?

Yeah, that would be sweet.
03-24-2015 08:29 AM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(03-24-2015 08:26 AM)TigerBo Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 10:16 PM)tigeriron Wrote:  go all in and call with pookie and broddie at pg. that's a dang good hand showing. pook with a year under his belt will shine soon enough. I assume broddie is a natural pg, but correct me if wrong.

03-24-2015 09:05 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

IMO, we need a pure PG, as you point out. First and foremost someone who can handle the ball at all times.
03-24-2015 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
How tall is he and who else is offering ?
03-24-2015 12:47 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(03-24-2015 11:08 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  

IMO, we need a pure PG, as you point out. First and foremost someone who can handle the ball at all times.

We need Stoudamire back on staff.
03-24-2015 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.