Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Tournament Location
Bookmark and Share
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Conference Tournament Location
So...

Should it change? Benson called the turnout disappointing considering ULL and ULM playing on Saturday.
Interestingly enough... Philips Arena was WIDE open during the tournament. Calendar of Events

Us Georgia folks, and App for that matter, probably wouldn't mind the jog east. The Arkansas people wouldn't mind Hot Springs again. Maybe a rotation of NOLA, Atlanta, and Hot Springs? Atlanta would have to be Philips. I think Gwinnett Arena is not an option.

Discuss.
03-17-2015 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Conference Tournament Location
Oh boy...
03-17-2015 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
There should be one East, one Central, and one West location, and it should rotate to those spots. There'd have been 5K minimum had the tourney been played in Atlanta this year. Probably 3K for the Women's Final if it was in Hot Springs.

Also, I absolutely loathe playing this on the floor of a Southland Conference School.
03-17-2015 10:57 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
I think Atlanta would be a much better location.

If Ga State, Troy, GS or App are in it it will be highly attended.... Not to mention there's larger alumni bases in Atlanta than New Orleans and bigger city.
03-17-2015 11:06 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

(03-17-2015 10:57 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Also, I absolutely loathe playing this on the floor of a Southland Conference School.

I don't get why it isn't played across the street from the Sun Belt offices at the Pelicans Arena. Closer to the Quarter. Walking distance from hotels. Missed opportunity to me.
03-17-2015 11:18 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(03-17-2015 11:18 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 10:57 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Also, I absolutely loathe playing this on the floor of a Southland Conference School.

I don't get why it isn't played across the street from the Sun Belt offices at the Pelicans Arena. Closer to the Quarter. Walking distance from hotels. Missed opportunity to me.

$$$
03-17-2015 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

(03-17-2015 11:18 AM)panama Wrote:  

$$$

Ahhh. This is the King Creole Karl Benson you are talking about. It is all about Louisiana all the time.
03-17-2015 11:27 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(03-17-2015 11:27 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  

$$$

Ahhh. This is the King Creole Karl Benson you are talking about. It is all about Louisiana all the time.
I am sure UNO's arena cost less than an NBA arena. So if Atlanta were an option would it be in Phillips or Gwinnett?
03-17-2015 11:30 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

(03-17-2015 11:30 AM)panama Wrote:  

$$$

I am sure UNO's arena cost less than an NBA arena. So if Atlanta were an option would it be in Phillips or Gwinnett?

Gwinnett is the wrong place. Yes. Philips would be more, but that is where you need to do it. If the Big East can figure out how to afford Madison Square Garden, the Sun Belt needs to figure out a lease with Philips Arena or Smoothie King Center. Or don't come to Atlanta via Gwinnett and don't play on UNOs court.
03-17-2015 11:38 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(03-17-2015 11:38 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:18 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  I don't get why it isn't played across the street from the Sun Belt offices at the Pelicans Arena. Closer to the Quarter. Walking distance from hotels. Missed opportunity to me.

$$$

Gwinnett is the wrong place. Yes. Philips would be more, but that is where you need to do it. If the Big East can figure out how to afford Madison Square Garden, the Sun Belt needs to figure out a lease with Philips Arena or Smoothie King Center. Or don't come to Atlanta via Gwinnett and don't play on UNOs court.
You just mentioned Big East and Sun Belt in the same sentence so I believe we are done here.
03-17-2015 12:04 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(03-17-2015 11:18 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  I don't get why it isn't played across the street from the Sun Belt offices at the Pelicans Arena. Closer to the Quarter. Walking distance from hotels. Missed opportunity to me.

$$$

It would be a joke to hold the Sun Belt tournament in an 18,000 seat arena. A 6200 seat arena, like Hot Springs, is perfect. Maybe we could even fill it one day. Von Braun Center in Huntsville, which seats, 7000 for basketball, would be good. Maybe Columbus, Ga which looks like it has a really nice new arena. Southaven, just south of Memphis could work as well. I would rather have it in a smaller city, with a more cozy arena, that might "embrace" the tourney like Hot Springs did. The costs in Atlanta, New Orleans, etc. are simply more than a lot of Sun Belt fans want to pay. I also don't think it should be in the home city of a conference team. If we do that, we may as well go back to having it at campus sites.
03-17-2015 12:06 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

Now that is the response I expected

Columbus, GA!?!?!?

Geez Louise!
03-17-2015 12:11 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-17-2015 12:06 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:18 AM)panama Wrote:  $$$

It would be a joke to hold the Sun Belt tournament in an 18,000 seat arena. A 6200 seat arena, like Hot Springs, is perfect. Maybe we could even fill it one day. Von Braun Center in Huntsville, which seats, 7000 for basketball, would be good. Maybe Columbus, Ga which looks like it has a really nice new arena. Southaven, just south of Memphis could work as well. I would rather have it in a smaller city, with a more cozy arena, that might "embrace" the tourney like Hot Springs did. The costs in Atlanta, New Orleans, etc. are simply more than a lot of Sun Belt fans want to pay. I also don't think it should be in the home city of a conference team. If we do that, we may as well go back to having it at campus sites.

Hot Springs has no major airport, so and flying into Little Rock has less options then in Atlanta or New Orleans for that matter. It worked fine when we had members in driving distance like Denton, Murpfreesboro and Bowling Green, we don't today. It's not a fit for today's conference. I know you guys at UALR and Astate would love to have it back in Arkansas, but your own home attendance is not what it use to be either. You guys are beginning to sound like a broken record with daily post about Hot Springs.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 12:16 PM by CrazyCajun.)
03-17-2015 12:14 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-17-2015 12:14 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:27 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  Ahhh. This is the King Creole Karl Benson you are talking about. It is all about Louisiana all the time.

Hot Springs has no major airport, so and flying into Little Rock has less options then in Atlanta or New Orleans for that matter. It worked fine when we had members in driving distance like Denton, Murpfreesboro and Bowling Green, we don't today. It's not a fit for today's conference. I know you guys at UALR and Astate would love to have it back in Arkansas, but your own home attendance is not what it use to be either. You guys are beginning to sound like a broken record with daily post about Hot Springs.

Don't worry, Hot Springs will likely never deal with the conference again after the way King Karl treated them.
03-17-2015 12:21 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(03-17-2015 10:43 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  So...

Should it change? Benson called the turnout disappointing considering ULL and ULM playing on Saturday.
Interestingly enough... Philips Arena was WIDE open during the tournament. Calendar of Events

Us Georgia folks, and App for that matter, probably wouldn't mind the jog east. The Arkansas people wouldn't mind Hot Springs again. Maybe a rotation of NOLA, Atlanta, and Hot Springs? Atlanta would have to be Philips. I think Gwinnett Arena is not an option.

Discuss.

Benson is a clown! He loves to pat the UL on the back with one hand and stick the other up our backsides like a proctologist. The New Orleans community doesn't embrace the SBC Tournament, after watching the ugliest basketball in years, I can understand why. The Sun Belt office has done a poor job of selling it to New Orleans, no special hotel offers or dinning offers for fans flying in and staying over night. Sponsorship is a joke, no major business behind the tournament. That is a failure on his part and his staff, poor marketing. The Cajun fan base came for two game, theirs. No one was going to stay and watch two Georgia programs play for the championship. That game was hard enough to stomach on television much less in person.
03-17-2015 12:25 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(03-17-2015 12:21 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 12:14 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:30 AM)panama Wrote:  I am sure UNO's arena cost less than an NBA arena. So if Atlanta were an option would it be in Phillips or Gwinnett?

Don't worry, Hot Springs will likely never deal with the conference again after the way King Karl treated them.

Not surprised to hear it. He hasn't done much better in New Orleans. I'm not confident he could go sell our tournament to any neutral city like Nashville or Birmingham. I don't believe he or his staff are capable.
03-17-2015 12:29 PM
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars

$$$

Why is the Gwinnett Civic Center not an option? Nice facility, good-sized, right off of the highway with plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby. I think folks coming from most Sun Belt towns would prefer it to being downtown. And it would certainly be cheaper than Philips.
03-17-2015 12:36 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(03-17-2015 12:36 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:18 AM)panama Wrote:  $$$

Why is the Gwinnett Civic Center not an option? Nice facility, good-sized, right off of the highway with plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby. I think folks coming from most Sun Belt towns would prefer it to being downtown. And it would certainly be cheaper than Philips.

Gwinnett Arena and yes it is in a very nice location. It handles everything Phillips does just fine. Plus and minuses with both locations but in no way is the Gwinnett Arena a bad or wrong choice.
03-17-2015 12:44 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(03-17-2015 12:44 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 12:36 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:27 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  Ahhh. This is the King Creole Karl Benson you are talking about. It is all about Louisiana all the time.

Gwinnett Arena and yes it is in a very nice location. It handles everything Phillips does just fine. Plus and minuses with both locations but in no way is the Gwinnett Arena a bad or wrong choice.
Plus for Gwinnett is that there is way more to do and more hotels than at Lakefront. Minus is the distance from airport and city center.

Phillips in my mind would only be an option if you got city buy in to really promote it big time. Otherwise do not bother. Phillips pro's are proximity to attractions and MARTA to airport and attractions in center city and supply of hotels.
03-17-2015 12:48 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
The Sun Belt moves around the baseball tournament, softball tournament, etc. I see no reason why moving the basketball tournament would be that different.
03-17-2015 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.