Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to improve Basketball in AAC
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
1. We need the bottom to rise. We cant have 5 teams with 200 RPI.

You fix that by improving SOS and also by maybe imposing a penalty. Lets say 150k of the yearly basketball tournament money is taken away if a team has an RPI of 200 or more that year.

Having a match up vs another league preferably a P% will help improve schedule SOS

2. I think we also need to add a school that will match with Navy for the other sports. Someone like VCU or Wichita State.
03-16-2015 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
RE: How to improve Basketball in AAC
Is there a power conference who isn't currently in a basketball challenge?

The talk is definitely the conference needs to get the scheduling up from top to bottom.

I would not mind adding an olympic sports only school...
03-16-2015 11:58 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I'm not an RPI mathematician - would it help or hurt the conference if the American scheduled more conference games? The theory being that most 300+ RPI games would be replaced with conference matchups.
03-16-2015 12:05 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Beg the Big East to take us back
03-16-2015 12:13 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(03-16-2015 11:53 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  1. We need the bottom to rise. We cant have 5 teams with 200 RPI.

You fix that by improving SOS and also by maybe imposing a penalty. Lets say 150k of the yearly basketball tournament money is taken away if a team has an RPI of 200 or more that year.

Having a match up vs another league preferably a P% will help improve schedule SOS

2. I think we also need to add a school that will match with Navy for the other sports. Someone like VCU or Wichita State.

I think you should put the fine based on OOC SOS. It's possible you could schedule correctly and just be awful and have an awful RPI. Taking money away in that circumstance isn't helping anything. There is no reason for anyone in this league to have an OOC SOS of lower than 150. If you do it's because you intentionally scheduled weak and that should be punished by the league.
03-16-2015 12:15 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Wichita State would love to be in a hoops conference with UConn, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, Temple, etc...

Tulsa, SMU, and even Memphis fans could drive to games there...

I like the idea of a conference "challenge" with the A10.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 12:28 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-16-2015 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(03-16-2015 11:53 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  2. I think we also need to add a school that will match with Navy for the other sports. Someone like VCU or Wichita State.

Wichita State Basketball
Top 40 attendance annually
6-straight seasons 25+ wins
12 NCAA tournament appearances (5 since 2000)
4-straight NCAA tournament appearances
5 Sweet 16 (2 since 2000)
4 Elite Eights (1 since 2000)
2 Final Fours (1 since 2000)

Wichita State Baseball
4th highest Winning % All time in NCAA D1 Baseball history
(behind Texas, Florida State and Miami)
(Not a major revenue sport but we could use another squad or two)
10th-20th in Attendance annually
1989 NCAA Champions
1982, 1991, 1993 Runner-up
28 Tournament Appearances
20 Conference Championships
18 Conference Tournament Championships
03-16-2015 12:31 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Wasn't this exact same thread posted earlier today. Same talking points and all?

EDIT - This one....
http://csnbbs.com/thread-730931.html

C'mon Cuban.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 12:36 PM by blunderbuss.)
03-16-2015 12:32 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(03-16-2015 12:31 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(03-16-2015 11:53 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  2. I think we also need to add a school that will match with Navy for the other sports. Someone like VCU or Wichita State.

Wichita State Basketball
Top 40 attendance annually
6-straight seasons 25+ wins
12 NCAA tournament appearances (5 since 2000)
4-straight NCAA tournament appearances
5 Sweet 16 (2 since 2000)
4 Elite Eights (1 since 2000)
2 Final Fours (1 since 2000)

Wichita State Baseball
4th highest Winning % All time in NCAA D1 Baseball history
(behind Texas, Florida State and Miami)
(Not a major revenue sport but we could use another squad or two)
10th-20th in Attendance annually
1989 NCAA Champions
1982, 1991, 1993 Runner-up
28 Tournament Appearances
20 Conference Championships
18 Conference Tournament Championships

Easily the best overall add. I'd prefer VCU for geographical reasons but Wichita is better. Hell, why not all 3 of VCU, Wichita and Dayton????

That would be a damn fine league and fill in some geographic gaps / create travel partners.
03-16-2015 12:34 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(03-16-2015 12:32 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Wasn't this exact same thread posted earlier today. Same talking points and all?

VCU over Wichita State. While the passion of the Wichita fanbase and the school's on court accomplishments are impressive, VCU is pretty darn accomplished as well and is located in a metro area that is almost double in size (1.2 mm vs 637K).
03-16-2015 12:37 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
why would VCU leave the A10?

lateral move...

AAC > MVC
03-16-2015 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(03-16-2015 12:37 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(03-16-2015 12:32 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Wasn't this exact same thread posted earlier today. Same talking points and all?

VCU over Wichita State. While the passion of the Wichita fanbase and the school's on court accomplishments are impressive, VCU is pretty darn accomplished as well and is located in a metro area that is almost double in size (1.2 mm vs 637K).

ok.... what's their metro have to do with anything?
03-16-2015 12:42 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

EDIT - This one....
http://csnbbs.com/thread-730931.html

C'mon Cuban.

Sorry if some points were repeated but I didn't read that one. But hey if we can have 7 Tacko threads we should be ok with two on how the league can improve in basketball.
04-cheers
03-16-2015 12:56 PM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
1. Improve facilities
2. Bigger salaries for coaches
3. Bigger recruiting budgets
4. Upgrade competition
5. Publicize

Example SMU

Just like in business, invest and profit from higher sales.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 01:24 PM by HoustonRocks.)
03-16-2015 12:59 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
[Image: BeSwzr_CQAATlVU.jpg:large]
03-16-2015 01:05 PM
cmullinsTU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-16-2015 12:59 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  1. Improve facilities
2. Bigger salaries for coaches
3. Bigger recruiting budgets
4. Upgrade competition
5. Publicize

Example SMU

Exactly Tulsa is doing too. We already had really nice facilities coming into AAC, (our arena was built in the late 90s when Bill Self was HC). 5 seasons ago we had, at the time, the highest resolution and largest big screen installed over the court. We made a significant commitment to salaries and budgets for recruiting.

We are now working on Items 4 and 5.

I'd also add a 4.1 --- improve recruiting and its probably the most important piece, although the improved coach, recruiting budget, and improved facilities are likely necessary to improve recruiting.

Tulsa has talent, but we haven't recruited to the level of some of the other AAC schools and it is going to hurt us in the future when UCONN and Memphis return to their more typical seasons of Top 25 year-in year-out (Memphis please get rid of Pastner, he's a fantastic recruiter but can not coach as I'm sure most of you know).
03-16-2015 01:05 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(03-16-2015 12:38 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  why would VCU leave the A10?

lateral move...

AAC > MVC

Then make it not a lateral move. I have already proposed adding Wichita because they are fantastic program who would jump at a league like the AAC. They are an easy get.

From the outset, I have maintained the AAC has little chance to ever become a power in football. At best, we might can get to "tweener" status. By the same token, I completely believe we CAN be a MAJOR power in basketball.

So, I would add Wichita. Then, with a roster of UConn, Memphis, Cinci, Temple, SMU, Wichita, and Tulsa---I approach VCU and Dayton. I think they jump. Now the AAC lineup of strong programs is--

UConn
Cinci
Memphis
Temple
SMU
Wichita
VCU
Dayton
Tulsa

That's a 5-6 bid league before factoring in rising programs from the rest of the AAC. We need to be the best we can be. This irrational fear of the hybrid (which is silly, because when Navy joins, we are hybrid anyway) is blocking the most direct path to success. We are looking to renegotiate in couple of years per Aresco----we don't have an infinite amount of time to wait on organic program growth from within. We need both organic growth and expansion to lift the value of the conference. Given the excellent exposure of the AAC---once the conference has added more to the top---recruiting in the entire conference will explode as it becomes one of the premier basketball conferences for recruits to play in.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 01:18 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-16-2015 01:16 PM
Puckhead48E Offline
Special Teams

(03-16-2015 01:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

lateral move...

AAC > MVC

Then make it not a lateral move. I have already proposed adding Wichita because they are fantastic program who would jump at a league like the AAC. They are an easy get.

From the outset, I have maintained the AAC has little chance to ever become a power in football. At best, we might can get to "tweener" status. By the same token, I completely believe we CAN be a MAJOR power in basketball.

So, I would add Wichita. Then, with a roster of UConn, Memphis, Cinci, Temple, SMU, Wichita, and Tulsa---I approach VCU and Dayton. I think they jump. Now the AAC lineup of strong programs is--

UConn
Cinci
Memphis
Temple
SMU
Wichita
VCU
Dayton
Tulsa

That's a 5-6 bid league before factoring in rising programs from the rest of the AAC. We need to be the best we can be. This irrational fear of the hybrid (which is silly, because when Navy joins, we are hybrid anyway) is blocking the most direct path to success. We are looking to renegotiate in couple of years per Aresco----we don't have an infinite amount of time to wait on organic program growth from within. We need both organic growth and expansion to lift the value of the conference. Given the excellent exposure of the AAC---once the conference has added more to the top---recruiting in the entire conference will explode as it becomes one of the premier basketball conferences for recruits to play in.

This is why I like the previously stated idea to push for a PAC-12/AAC conference challenge. They are the only P5 without one of these, and such a competition would open up their programs to some recruiting areas not currently covered. Same for us. Win/win, and it immediately raises our RPI.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 01:28 PM by Puckhead48E.)
03-16-2015 01:23 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats

lateral move...

AAC > MVC

I never said that VCU would leave for the AAC by themselves. We would need to be adding a few other quality schools at the same time in order to dangle a carrot enticing enough to be attractive.
03-16-2015 01:25 PM
Pony94 Offline

ACC already has a challenge and PAC 11 won't play us
03-16-2015 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.