Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "New ACC" At The Tournament
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
The "New ACC" At The Tournament
I was at the tournament today. I was expecting a fair number of Louisville fans but more than half of the Louisville section was UNC and NCSU and Duke fans. Obviously, many Louisville fans bought tickets only to sell on Stubhub or other services. At the Notre Dame-Miami game most of the Notre Dame fans present were either in the pep band or the families of players and fans. Of course that was better than Miami. The families of their players and coaches hardly showed up at all. There were almost no Pitt fans there either.

I thought Louisville had a large and dedicated fan base. Where were they today? Did Louisville fans show up for the Big East tournament? Notre Dame has one of its best teams in many years. Where were their fans today? Did Notre Dame fans show up at MSG in numbers?

I've read a lot of whining by "new ACC" members about how special it was at MSG and how they deserve to have the tournament in NYC. Did they experience that specialness over the TV or do they have so little dedication that they only show up for a tournament at MSG?

I've been to the ACC tournament in DC, Landover, MD (just outside DC), Atlanta and Tampa. Every time well over half of the crowd was fans of NC schools. I predict now that it will be the same in Brooklyn. It might even be the same if the tournament were played at the Yum Center!

You're not impressing me, "new ACC."
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 10:32 PM by Hallcity.)
03-12-2015 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
RE: The "New ACC" At The Tournament
There was no one there from Pitt last night. I saw very few Miami and ND folks during the State/Duke, and obviously we left after that game.
03-12-2015 10:11 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
This seems to be an inflammatory thread but Ill add some thoughts. First, Louisville does travel pretty well. There seemed to be a lot of red in the arena today on tv. I cant explain why there were so few UL fans there, according to you. But from watching a few games on tv, it seems that many fans have failed to show up as there were many empty seats. I cant be sure about all the games as I only saw a a little bit of a couple of games, including UNC/Ville, today. I expected the games to be packed, as I have heard how important it is to be in North Carolina, and the natives being in an uproar if its not held there regularly.

Pitt is not a good basketball traveling fanbase, although they usually did ok at MSG.. Same with ND.
03-12-2015 10:31 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(03-12-2015 10:31 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  This seems to be an inflammatory thread but Ill add some thoughts. First, Louisville does travel pretty well. There seemed to be a lot of red in the arena today on tv. I cant explain why there were so few UL fans there, according to you. But from watching a few games on tv, it seems that many fans have failed to show up as there were many empty seats. I cant be sure about all the games as I only saw a a little bit of a couple of games, including UNC/Ville, today. I expected the games to be packed, as I have heard how important it is to be in North Carolina, and the natives being in an uproar if its not held there regularly.

Pitt is not a good basketball traveling fanbase, although they usually did ok at MSG.. Same with ND.

There was a lot of red at the Coliseum today -- NCSU red!

I will say that Syracuse fans did show up in numbers last year.
03-12-2015 10:35 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Pitt's fan base had largely given up on the year. Uncharacteristically off year for Pitt, so its no surprise, and I would have predicted a poor traveling crowd.

I attended last year. Pitt, surely had more last year, but what I observed last year was far fewer than typically showed up at MSG. Syracuse had a pretty good showing last year. They definitely were among the best travelers.

Speaking of, I never remember seeing as empty of an arena in MSG as I'm watching right now during the ND/Miami game. I don't understand traveling to Greensboro and not taking in as much hoops as possible. This tournament can't get to a real venue quickly enough. The ACC does a great job of staging events and atmosphere around the tournament, better than the Big East, so it could really be a home run when it gets to Brooklyn. Can't wait for DC next year. I expect a large Pitt turnout in DC (barring another troubling season).
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 10:40 PM by CrazyPaco.)
03-12-2015 10:36 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-12-2015 10:35 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 10:31 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  This seems to be an inflammatory thread but Ill add some thoughts. First, Louisville does travel pretty well. There seemed to be a lot of red in the arena today on tv. I cant explain why there were so few UL fans there, according to you. But from watching a few games on tv, it seems that many fans have failed to show up as there were many empty seats. I cant be sure about all the games as I only saw a a little bit of a couple of games, including UNC/Ville, today. I expected the games to be packed, as I have heard how important it is to be in North Carolina, and the natives being in an uproar if its not held there regularly.

There was a lot of red at the Coliseum today -- NCSU red!

I will say that Syracuse fans did show up in numbers last year.

According to Espn, there was quite a few Syracuse fans at the tourney so far this year even though SU isnt there. They were saying this in a spoof about the Syracuse mascot being missing at the Acc mascot basketball game. Syracuse actually had the best traveling bb fanbase in the BE. They show up in droves anywhere on the East coast for the most part.
Interesting that the arena for ND/Miami was probably 70% empty tonight.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 11:02 PM by cuseroc.)
03-12-2015 10:44 PM
Advertisement

opossum Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2015 10:36 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  Pitt's fan base had largely given up on the year. Uncharacteristically off year for Pitt, so its no surprise, and I would have predicted a poor traveling crowd.

I attended last year. Pitt, surely had more last year, but what I observed last year was far fewer than typically showed up at MSG. Syracuse had a pretty good showing last year. They definitely were among the best travelers.

Speaking of, I never remember seeing as empty of an arena in MSG as I'm watching right now during the ND/Miami game. I don't understand traveling to Greensboro and not taking in as much hoops as possible. This tournament can't get to a real venue quickly enough. The ACC does a great job of staging events and atmosphere around the tournament, better than the Big East, so it could really be a home run when it gets to Brooklyn. Can't wait for DC next year. I expect a large Pitt turnout in DC (barring another troubling season).

To be fair, Greensboro is several thousand seats bigger than MSG, so it's harder to fill. Not many people know that Greensboro is the biggest basketball venue on the east coast in terms of seating capacity that isn't an ACC home court.

DC is okay, it's great for me because I work less than a mile away. (The answer to your question is roast chicken at Nando's Peri Peri a couple blocks north of the Verizon Center on the right on 7th Street and handmade pulled noodles at Chinatown Express at 6th and H). But the last time it was held there got mixed reviews overall. The best place for the Tournament really is Greensboro. Everyone will agree on that in 10 years, but it may take that long.
03-12-2015 10:51 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(03-12-2015 10:09 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  I was at the tournament today. I was expecting a fair number of Louisville fans but more than half of the Louisville section was UNC and NCSU and Duke fans. Obviously, many Louisville fans bought tickets only to sell on Stubhub or other services. At the Notre Dame-Miami game most of the Notre Dame fans present were either in the pep band or the families of players and fans. Of course that was better than Miami. The families of their players and coaches hardly showed up at all. There were almost no Pitt fans there either.

I thought Louisville had a large and dedicated fan base. Where were they today? Did Louisville fans show up for the Big East tournament? Notre Dame has one of its best teams in many years. Where were their fans today? Did Notre Dame fans show up at MSG in numbers?

I've read a lot of whining by "new ACC" members about how special it was at MSG and how they deserve to have the tournament in NYC. Did they experience that specialness over the TV or do they have so little dedication that they only show up for a tournament at MSG?

I've been to the ACC tournament in DC, Landover, MD (just outside DC), Atlanta and Tampa. Every time well over half of the crowd was fans of NC schools. I predict now that it will be the same in Brooklyn. It might even be the same if the tournament were played at the Yum Center!

It is basketball. You won't see many ND fans go to Greensboro to watch basketball.

There would be more in New York City due to proximity but not in droves.

ND only drew about 7,500 or so this year at home for basketball for a team that now sits at 27-5.

For ND fans, basketball is something to watch on TV once in a while between football seasons.
03-12-2015 11:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
3-4K bigger doesn't explain the wide swaths of empty, premo, lower level seats. As I said, I can't understand abandoning the night cap just because your team isn't playing. It's not like Greensboro offers a wealth of alternative activities. I went to every game last year (except the opening round because I wasn't in town yet) and I would do the same for any tournament because, gasp, I enjoy watching good college basketball.

Don't know what the question was but Nandos is a chain. I like it, quite a bit actually, but it is a fast casual chain and, IMO, chains shouldn't be part of any local dining recommendation. It's like recommending Five Guys over Ollie's Trolley or District Taco. (yes, I know Five Guys started in Arlington, but if has become as ubiquitous as Chipotle). Zaytinia, Cedar maybe. I now live in DC. The food scene is underwhelming, and over priced in general, compared to Philly, NY, San Francisco and the like, IMO.

NYC is the place to hold any tournament. I've been to several different conference's tournaments including multiple BETs and last year's ACC's. IMHO, none of the others held a candle to the BET in MSG...as far as in-arena atmosphere. I get that it is tradition, but Greensboro, as a host city, is not a comparable venue even though the ACC's staging was superior. Never been to Barclays. I'll be interested to see how that compares.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 11:21 PM by CrazyPaco.)
03-12-2015 11:19 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2015 11:19 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  3-4K bigger doesn't explain the wide swaths of empty, premo, lower level seats. As I said, I can't understand abandoning the night cap just because your team isn't playing. It's not like Greensboro offers a wealth of alternative activities. I went to every game last year (except the opening round because I wasn't in town yet) and I would do the same for any tournament because, gasp, I enjoy watching good college basketball.

Don't know what the question was but Nandos is a chain. I like it, quite a bit actually, but it is a fast casual chain and, IMO, chains shouldn't be part of any local dining recommendation. It's like recommending Five Guys over Ollie's Trolley or District Taco. (yes, I know Five Guys started in Arlington, but if has become as ubiquitous as Chipotle). Zaytinia, Cedar maybe. I now live in DC. The food scene is underwhelming, and over priced in general, compared to Philly, NY, San Francisco and the like, IMO.

NYC is the place to hold any tournament. I've been to several different conference's tournaments including multiple BETs and last year's ACC's. IMHO, none of the others held a candle to the BET in MSG...as far as in-arena atmosphere. I get that it is tradition, but Greensboro, as a host city, is not a comparable venue even though the ACC's staging was superior. Never been to Barclays. I'll be interested to see how that compares.

Most places around the Verizon Center are chains. I'm glad you like Nando's too. Although it's a chain, most people don't live near one, and someone who hasn't tried it might enjoy it.

NYC is hard to get to and expensive to stay at. I'm really trying to think of the average fan. Greensboro is clearly best from that perspective.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 11:33 PM by opossum.)
03-12-2015 11:29 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(03-12-2015 10:09 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  I was at the tournament today. I was expecting a fair number of Louisville fans but more than half of the Louisville section was UNC and NCSU and Duke fans. Obviously, many Louisville fans bought tickets only to sell on Stubhub or other services. At the Notre Dame-Miami game most of the Notre Dame fans present were either in the pep band or the families of players and fans. Of course that was better than Miami. The families of their players and coaches hardly showed up at all. There were almost no Pitt fans there either.

I'm not willing to spend 4 days in Louisville, DC, NYC, or Atlanta to follow NC State basketball. I'll spend two, but not four. I'm old enough to remember when you had to win the title to go to the NCAA - it was win your tournament games or season over - the NCAA tournament has made the ACC tournament anti-climactic.

Now the even is spread over 5 days, but unless you finish in the top 4 in the regular season, you have no realistic chance to win the title. That used to not be the case. With three games in three days (8 team conference), everyone had an equal chance. Now, schools 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and 10 have no chance in Hell of winning the title. Schools 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have a very small chance.

4 nights in the Triad at a decent hotel will run you $800. 2 tickets for 5 sessions (not all 8) will run you a minimum of $1000 for anything other than nosebleeds. If you skip the higher end restaurants in the Friendly Center area and just eat 4 times at Stameys, 4 times at McDonalds, and 4 times at the Golden Corral, you will drop a minimum of $400. You are at $2,200 without the first drop of gas, first souvenir, etc., etc.

And guess what, you may be in Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Dayton, or Columbus next Thursday.

I hope State gets Pittsburgh as it and Houston are the only large cities in the US I have not visited for any length of time.

What makes Greensboro work so well is that a huge chunk of the UVa, UNC, Duke, WF, and NC State fan base can get to Greensboro in 4 hours allowing them to respond to an unexpected win. (I omitted VT and Clemson because they have so little basketball success, but a large chunk of them could respond in that 4 hour circle if their Bball fortunes change.
03-12-2015 11:44 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(03-12-2015 11:29 PM)opossum Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 11:19 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  3-4K bigger doesn't explain the wide swaths of empty, premo, lower level seats. As I said, I can't understand abandoning the night cap just because your team isn't playing. It's not like Greensboro offers a wealth of alternative activities. I went to every game last year (except the opening round because I wasn't in town yet) and I would do the same for any tournament because, gasp, I enjoy watching good college basketball.

Most places around the Verizon Center are chains. I'm glad you like Nando's too. Although it's a chain, most people don't live near one, and someone who hasn't tried it might enjoy it.

NYC is hard to get to and expensive to stay at. I'm really trying to think of the average fan. Greensboro is clearly best from that perspective.

When we go to NYC we like to stay one night in Manhattan in Times Square and the rest of the time near Bethpage on Long Island or around Seacaucus. I find NYC easy to drive around, but a lot of folks from NC, SC, and VA will not find NYC easy to drive and therefore avoid driving around town. Few of those folks are used to the subway and subway in NYC is nothing like MARTA or the DC Metro which are very simplistic.

Look at the age of the fans who are there during the semis and the finals - lots of blue hair, lots of old men - most of whom are attuned to a suburban environment, not a truly urban environment like Manhattan, Brooklyn, or even Newark.
03-12-2015 11:53 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:

Nandos is spreading everywhere, very quickly.

This whole "NYC is too expensive" line is largely bull. I stayed in Manhattan for the BET both as a student and as a tech making $20k a year. Sure, it's more expensive and might take a little more planning than booking a night the Genesboro Quality Inn, but there's not some huge impediment like people seem to be suggesting. I honestly think people are afraid of going outside their comfort zones. You'd think people would at least enjoy seeing new places, because they obviously aren't staying for just the basketball games judging by the empties, and again, they're in Greensboro. What are they doing? Rushing to get in line at Stamey's for the 10th year in a row?
03-13-2015 12:08 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I'm in the middle of Building a garage as well as working so I didn't go but the allotment of Louisville tickets were sold out.
03-13-2015 05:39 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
My 4 seats were $1,584.00.
It was unfortunate the Miami was in the 9 PM game on both Wed and Thurs. Miami-VT and Miami-ND....really. After sitting through two games in the afternoon and a dud (State-Dook) who really wanted to stay to watch Miami and Notre Dame? I left at half-time and missed the best part of the game...Oh! well, it was only Miami and Notre Dame.

Most of the fans at the games today drove to the Coliseum from their homes.
03-13-2015 07:57 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
Is anyone really surprised by this? Considering how far the travel is, the cost of airfare, plus the need to take basically a full week off work? If I'm taking a week off work with the chance my team will be out in their first game, I sure as hell don't want to be in Greensboro for the rest of it.

It's never going back to the way it was, ever. Due to the spread of the conference, the lack of traditional ties, and most importantly, the change in college basketball in general.
03-13-2015 09:43 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

Barclay's will have great arena amenities but Midtown is where the tourney needs to be...as in MSG. Last night's nightcap was a joke for attendance.
03-13-2015 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies
I went to a round of games in 2001 when the tourney was at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta because I lived in the suburbs, so easy to get to. Worst place to watch a basketball game because of the forced configuration in a cavernous facility. I would prefer that it never be held there again.
03-13-2015 09:50 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(03-13-2015 12:08 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

Nandos is spreading everywhere, very quickly.

This whole "NYC is too expensive" line is largely bull. I stayed in Manhattan for the BET both as a student and as a tech making $20k a year. Sure, it's more expensive and might take a little more planning than booking a night the Genesboro Quality Inn, but there's not some huge impediment like people seem to be suggesting. I honestly think people are afraid of going outside their comfort zones. You'd think people would at least enjoy seeing new places, because they obviously aren't staying for just the basketball games judging by the empties, and again, they're in Greensboro. What are they doing? Rushing to get in line at Stamey's for the 10th year in a row?

So true...also if you realize you don't even need to rent a car that saves money. Buy a Subway pass and you have everything. There are lodging deals in NYC...you just have to know where/how to look.

Is it more expensive than dull Greensboro? Sure but if you want to do more than golf and argue about BBQ in your spare time then NYC is the best location.
03-13-2015 09:54 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(03-13-2015 09:50 AM)Lucy Wrote:  I went to a round of games in 2001 when the tourney was at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta because I lived in the suburbs, so easy to get to. Worst place to watch a basketball game because of the forced configuration in a cavernous facility. I would prefer that it never be held there again.

Agreed Domes suck for hoops unless packed and it is "The Event"...this coming from a Cuse fan.
03-13-2015 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.