Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall Takes A Step Towards Having Our Own Baseball Field
Bookmark and Share
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
Marshall Takes A Step Towards Having Our Own Baseball Field
I'm not a big college baseball fan, but the fact that our team doesn't have a home field is really frustrating. I don't read a lot of posts on here about baseball, so I apologize if anyone isn't aware of the details I'm almost certainly leaving out here.

The primary location targeted for a baseball field for years has been a brownfield site that would apparently require expensive cleanup to be allowed for use. However, today there was a press conference announcing very positive news for us in this regard.

The press release states that "Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the selection of 20 communities in 16 states receiving approximately $4 million in Brownfields Area-Wide Planning (AWP) grants for cleanup and reuse of Brownfields sites to revitalize communities and strengthen local economies."

Primary piece of note:

2015 Area-Wide Planning grants provide funding for the planning of the following reuse activities:

· City of Huntington, WV - Anchor is Marshall U. baseball field; hub of sports centers, recreation and area for advanced manufacturing - 3D printing/engineering.

The environmental cleanup has always been the hurdle in negotiations for Marshall to buy this land from the current owner and it appears a huge chunk of money is now available for that cleanup. I'm sure there are plenty more details to hash out and long processes to take, but hooray for progress!!
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 04:42 PM by RedParallax.)
03-09-2015 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Marshall Takes A Step Towards Having Our Own Baseball Field
(03-09-2015 04:42 PM)RedParallax Wrote:  I'm not a big college baseball fan, but the fact that our team doesn't have a home field is really frustrating. I don't read a lot of posts on here about baseball, so I apologize if anyone isn't aware of the details I'm almost certainly leaving out here.

The primary location targeted for a baseball field for years has been a brownfield site that would apparently require expensive cleanup to be allowed for use. However, today there was a press conference announcing very positive news for us in this regard.

The press release states that "Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the selection of 20 communities in 16 states receiving approximately $4 million in Brownfields Area-Wide Planning (AWP) grants for cleanup and reuse of Brownfields sites to revitalize communities and strengthen local economies."

Primary piece of note:

2015 Area-Wide Planning grants provide funding for the planning of the following reuse activities:

· City of Huntington, WV - Anchor is Marshall U. baseball field; hub of sports centers, recreation and area for advanced manufacturing - 3D printing/engineering.

The environmental cleanup has always been the hurdle in negotiations for Marshall to buy this land from the current owner and it appears a huge chunk of money is now available for that cleanup. I'm sure there are plenty more details to hash out and long processes to take, but hooray for progress!!

Here is the City of Huntington Tweet:

Huntington To Recieve 200K Grant To Help Clean Up AFC Lot

This has always been the property talked about when the baseball field has come up. I support all of Marshall athletics but Im like RedParallax, college baseball in general isn't one that I get to enthralled about. I would rather watch a softball game. But in the same breath its a shame we don't have our own stadium. The kids that play for us deserve one.

Also the faster we get a baseball stadium, the faster Hamrick can move on replacing the Henderson Center. There is no secret that Hamrick hates the CAM. When he first entered the CAM after taking the AD Position in 09, his first thought was "You mean this is a DI facility".

The Henderson Center, named after Cam Henderson has severed Marshall well since its opening in 1980. But the project is filled with short comings. The 1st crew walked off the job because the state took 3 million away from the project and sent it up north to help the northerners football field. The design of the arena changed 4 times before it was built and then it was built incorrectly. It not only has design flaws but foundation flaws as well. It cracked down the middle six years after it was built, just glad it was a crack and didn't actually move.
03-09-2015 05:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.