Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If you were firmly into the field, would you purposely lose to a team who wasn't
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
If you were firmly into the field, would you purposely lose to a team who wasn't
While watching Arch Madness this weekend I was thinking that if I was the MVC commish I would've told Wichita State and UNI to lose so the conference could get in a 3rd team.

For the AAC this would mean:

SMU and Cincy (and Temple if they make the championship as that should be enough to make them a lock) taking loses so teams not currently in the tournament gets an autobid and allows more conference teams to be in the tournament which means more money/credits/prestige.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 02:02 PM by PurpleReigns.)
03-08-2015 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TUBballJunkie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: If you were firmly into the field, would you purposel lose to another team who wasn't
Throwing games is frowned on a wee bit.
03-08-2015 01:47 PM
TUBballJunkie Offline
Special Teams

RE: If you were firmly into the field, would you purposel lose to another team who wasn't
(And to that end, I think evidence of that kind of collusion would result in lifetime ncaa bans for commissioners and coaches.)
03-08-2015 01:49 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

RE: If you were firmly into the field, would you purposely lose to a team who wasn't
It's not a downright collusion, it would be more like a nudge nudge wink wink situation.

"Boy it would sure be nice to have 3 MVC teams in the big dance, don't you think?"
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 02:10 PM by PurpleReigns.)
03-08-2015 02:03 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: If you were firmly into the field, would you purposely lose to a team who wasn't
I was going to start a thread about the MVC championship game too. Hmmmm.
03-08-2015 02:09 PM
owlfan2272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple Owls
Northern Iowa/Wichita St get more money by losing and might drop 1 meaningless seed line. It's suspicious.
03-08-2015 02:12 PM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(03-08-2015 02:09 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  I was going to start a thread about the MVC championship game too. Hmmmm.

I honestly feel like a nudge nudge wink wink happened and when Wichita State lost UNI decided to win yesterday then drop today to not make it obvious. Though UNI didn't play that well yesterday to be honest.
03-08-2015 02:14 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-08-2015 02:14 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 02:09 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  I was going to start a thread about the MVC championship game too. Hmmmm.

I honestly feel like a nudge nudge wink wink happened and when Wichita State lost UNI decided to win yesterday then drop today to not make it obvious. Though UNI didn't play that well yesterday to be honest.

Watch out for those black helicopters flying low.07-coffee3
03-08-2015 02:24 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
in the conference tournament i doubt it...but in the regular season, i doubt theyd "throw" the game but theyd consder doing what kansas did versus oklahoma yesterday and "rest their star players"..kansas played hard but it was still the bench warmerdrs
03-08-2015 02:45 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(03-08-2015 01:47 PM)TUBballJunkie Wrote:  Throwing games is frowned on a wee bit.

And short of Kentucky (e.g. someone that is comfortly a number 1), why would you do that? You'd damage your seed in the process.

You would, maybe, call off the dogs a little early, especially if the coaches are good friends or something like that or sit a player in questionable health but it doesn't make sense to do so and damage your own seed in the process.
03-08-2015 02:45 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
NO WAY.
03-08-2015 03:09 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
No.
03-08-2015 03:39 PM
JesseTU Offline
2nd String

You're talking a small amount of money and a major violation.

Plus losing a banner for UNI.

Nope.
03-08-2015 03:51 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(03-08-2015 01:43 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  While watching Arch Madness this weekend I was thinking that if I was the MVC commish I would've told Wichita State and UNI to lose so the conference could get in a 3rd team.

For the AAC this would mean:

SMU and Cincy (and Temple if they make the championship as that should be enough to make them a lock) taking loses so teams not currently in the tournament gets an autobid and allows more conference teams to be in the tournament which means more money/credits/prestige.

No - you can't purposely lose. No integrity in doing that.
03-08-2015 06:36 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: If you were firmly into the field, would you purposely lose to a team who wasn't
If you know you are in you might not lose on purpose but it doesn't mean you would play your hardest either
03-08-2015 08:25 PM
gostangs Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
its all about the seed. nobody would hurt their seed
03-08-2015 08:58 PM
Advertisement

3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(03-08-2015 01:47 PM)TUBballJunkie Wrote:  Throwing games is frowned on a wee bit.

Not to mention going to federal prison on a racketeering conviction.
03-08-2015 09:04 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
Say it ain't so Joe.
03-09-2015 09:48 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Hell no.

That's why I despise the San Antonio Spurs.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 09:51 AM by UConn-SMU.)
03-09-2015 09:51 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(03-09-2015 09:51 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Hell no.

That's why I despise the San Antonio Spurs.

How can you despise the Spurs?
03-09-2015 09:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.