Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

American Network: the upcoming inevitable?
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Every Power 5 conference seems to be chasing their own glory network. Even ACC is at least rumored with NBC for a network (even thought it could be fake)

American is on verge of a next TV contract. Will AAC still go with ESPN for big time exposure? American definitely earned it on the playing field with UCF beat Baylor in Fiesta ended with a top 10 finish. UConn women and men won National Championship in the same year. American has 2 top 10 baseball team in the nation. TV rating is showing some big time love ranking us way over some of the ACC and B1G.

American Brand is showing big promise. I think AAC deserves way more than 2M+ a year from ESPN even with Exposure. Will we get a big payday with the similar exposure? Or will we go NBC signing a sweet heart deal considering NBCsports needs exposure big time...

Will AmericanNetwork be on the discussion or at least being brought up as a future consideration? Or some sort of clause added in given NBC, for example, the right of first offer for a future contract, or maybe, an AmericanNetwork
03-08-2015 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: American Network: the upcoming inevitable?
(03-08-2015 06:59 AM)AGuyIn_Water Wrote:  Every Power 5 conference seems to be chasing their own glory network. Even ACC is at least rumored with NBC for a network (even thought it could be fake)

American is on verge of a next TV contract. Will AAC still go with ESPN for big time exposure? American definitely earned it on the playing field with UCF beat Baylor in Fiesta ended with a top 10 finish. UConn women and men won National Championship in the same year. American has 2 top 10 baseball team in the nation. TV rating is showing some big time love ranking us way over some of the ACC and B1G.

American Brand is showing big promise. I think AAC deserves way more than 2M+ a year from ESPN even with Exposure. Will we get a big payday with the similar exposure? Or will we go NBC signing a sweet heart deal considering NBCsports needs exposure big time...

Will AmericanNetwork be on the discussion or at least being brought up as a future consideration? Or some sort of clause added in given NBC, for example, the right of first offer for a future contract, or maybe, an AmericanNetwork

NBC is who offered 2 million per year. ESPN simply matched it.
03-08-2015 07:27 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
If the league negotiators are smart they'll put a clause limiting the number of games ESPN can select (say, half of them?) with the AAC retaining rights to the rest of them - which would all be put on "the AAC Network". I think the mistake many conferences have made is not keeping enough content for a network, so they end up paying through the nose to buy it back.
03-08-2015 07:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
an AAC network...LOL

Yeah, bet they will be lined up to ink that deal
03-08-2015 08:02 AM
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

(03-08-2015 08:02 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  an AAC network...LOL

Seems Cincinnati is really not into this American Conference thing, uhh?

Ready to jump ships? Cincy fans?
03-08-2015 08:18 AM
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I bet ACC must be knocking on your doors lately... Or Big 12? Cincy is a big market and I am not worried... lol... Good Sunday, Lord. Ready for some Orlando MLS... Peace!

If we really not coexisting well and the culture is way different between your Superior AQ conference mate... Us UCF, little boy, should beg you guys to stay? Oh man, ole Big East, ole Big East...

Good luck in American next year buddy... Cause us UCF is taking it all again next year.
03-08-2015 08:21 AM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy

All joking aside, I currently pay 10 extra dollars a month with direct tv to get one channel in a package that carries aac content: CBSSn. This is a bargain, since my alternative is watching the basketball and football games at bdubs or a bar, which becomes a major expense. In addition, I watch many of the other AAC games (top half of conference). I watch this channel nearly as much as the espn channels. So How many people are like me?
03-08-2015 08:24 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

Literally 100s will demand it of their cable provider.
03-08-2015 08:30 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
First off there is still 5 years to go on TV deal. 2 more before the look in time. So nothing will happen anytime soon. I really don't see an AAC network for a while. My guess is an all out effort will be made at look in to extend. It makes sense for both sides. Keep the visibility up, and raise the $$ on what would still be cheap programing for ESPN.

I I was going to guess, I would see a 1 to 3 mil per school bump, and 3 or 4 years added on.

No way are we going to get close to P5 in the near future, but becoming the clear best of the rest $$$ wise is very doable.
03-08-2015 08:34 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(03-08-2015 08:34 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  First off there is still 5 years to go on TV deal. 2 more before the look in time. So nothing will happen anytime soon. I really don't see an AAC network for a while. My guess is an all out effort will be made at look in to extend. It makes sense for both sides. Keep the visibility up, and raise the $$ on what would still be cheap programing for ESPN.

I I was going to guess, I would see a 1 to 3 mil per school bump, and 3 or 4 years added on.

No way are we going to get close to P5 in the near future, but becoming the clear best of the rest $$$ wise is very doable.

I tend to believe the American can get somewhere between 4 to 6 million per school from ESPN, which is top G5 money. I actually want the American to stay together and become the best conference currently outside the power five structure. I don't openly root for my school to join a power five conference, if the invite comes that would be great but power five status should not define an institution.

My biggest concern is in the rule making structure created by the power five and not necessarily the financial aspect. Honestly most of the schools in the American are a good fit for this conference and an odd match for certain power five leagues. Cincinnati and UConn could be a good match for the ACC based on past relationships, but I would be concerned that my Bearcats would be lost in the shuffle. A few of our midwest and southwest schools could slide into the Big XII; however, I believe the overall success of these programs would be greater in the American.

The American in a lot of ways has underachieved from a top to bottom standpoint in both men's basketball and football this year. Next year I expect the league to take step forward in both major sports.
03-08-2015 08:53 AM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
Let UC wait for their Big 12 invite. Kick them and take Ohio At least we can brand Ohio as state wide and they're already at 35k students without being in an higher tiered league. 03-shhhh

Oh and I believe NBC wasn't so much interested in entering the market back then. However, since the rampant profits from the new Play-off Model, I'm inclined to believe they may show more interest now. 07-coffee3
03-08-2015 09:02 AM
Advertisement

AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

No, American schools are not going anywhere any soon...

Big 12 is a long stretch and I am doubtful for our school's cultural presence in something that has lasted for a long time especially the region ties. When we talk about SEC or Big 12, that is a prestige and cultural thing. Others outside may never understand the blood within. That is exactly SEC football.

We are not like that. American is a 2 year old conference with teams being together mostly for less than 10 years. UCF has never played on such a big platform before ever. We want this thing to workout more than anyone. If right now we already looking out, what message would it send to the college fans and ADs in other schools especially from old CUSA days?

The good news is that all the American schools are really stepping up in their infrastructures in their athletic programs. Houston, Cincinnati, Tulane, UConn and UCF... That will pay off. Right now we just need to have some patient time developing our fan bases, not just fair weather fans or bandwagon fans, but our alumnis and donors. Really building that brand in the community. Cause that will last the longest.

We are all young and we are all hungry for success. We do not just want to be a part of. We want something that belongs to us, from day 1...
03-08-2015 09:05 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Until an invite to go to a P5 conference comes, which none of our schools can control nor have a timetable for, the AAC is the best place for our schools and all of us should be supporting and wishing success for it.
I think that the AAC will remain with ESPN after the look in period, with years extension coming with a raise in the amount our schools get. How much? I would like to see our schools get 6-7 million a year but that might be a big jump from where we currently are. I think 4-5 million would be more likely
03-08-2015 09:51 AM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
this one is a no brainer easy answer for me:

stick with ESPN and get more money from them
03-08-2015 10:02 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-08-2015 08:53 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 08:34 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  First off there is still 5 years to go on TV deal. 2 more before the look in time. So nothing will happen anytime soon. I really don't see an AAC network for a while. My guess is an all out effort will be made at look in to extend. It makes sense for both sides. Keep the visibility up, and raise the $$ on what would still be cheap programing for ESPN.

I tend to believe the American can get somewhere between 4 to 6 million per school from ESPN, which is top G5 money. I actually want the American to stay together and become the best conference currently outside the power five structure.

well my 2 to 3 mil bump would get you there. What the AAC needs to do is clearly set itself above the G4.
03-08-2015 10:43 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-08-2015 10:43 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 08:53 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

I tend to believe the American can get somewhere between 4 to 6 million per school from ESPN, which is top G5 money. I actually want the American to stay together and become the best conference currently outside the power five structure.

well my 2 to 3 mil bump would get you there. What the AAC needs to do is clearly set itself above the G4.

Which unfortunately did not happen in the first year of the G5. In addition, I think most people would agree that Basketball was surprisingly not up to par. Needless to say MWC and AAC still appear to be the top two but MWC could be the one separating from the G5. I would not have thought MWC would even be near the AAC in NCAA Tourney bids.
03-08-2015 11:20 AM
Advertisement

TUBballJunkie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-08-2015 10:02 AM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  this one is a no brainer easy answer for me:

Agreed.

We've got the SEC, Big 10 and PAC 12 networks. Oklahomans weren't clamoring for them from our cable providers, I tell you that. We just got stuck with them.

I remember just one specific time I've watched any of them, and it's only bc the football game on SEC was also on espn3 bc of that partnership. Otherwise I'm only watching these league contests on main networks.

IMHO the espn exposure is essential for our league.
03-08-2015 11:33 AM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN

...and you can bet your a$$ they'll be stripping the "big time" exposure clause from either the current contract, or a brand-new contract.
03-08-2015 11:33 AM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(03-08-2015 11:33 AM)TUBballJunkie Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 10:02 AM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  this one is a no brainer easy answer for me:

Agreed.

We've got the SEC, Big 10 and PAC 12 networks. Oklahomans weren't clamoring for them from our cable providers, I tell you that. We just got stuck with them.

I remember just one specific time I've watched any of them, and it's only bc the football game on SEC was also on espn3 bc of that partnership. Otherwise I'm only watching these league contests on main networks.

IMHO the espn exposure is essential for our league.

I called it in my last post and I'm calling it again here.....ESPiN will be looking to strip that exposure clause from any contract we get at the first opportunity they get.
03-08-2015 11:37 AM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

(03-08-2015 09:51 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Until an invite to go to a P5 conference comes, which none of our schools can control nor have a timetable for, the AAC is the best place for our schools and all of us should be supporting and wishing success for it.
I think that the AAC will remain with ESPN after the look in period, with years extension coming with a raise in the amount our schools get. How much? I would like to see our schools get 6-7 million a year but that might be a big jump from where we currently are. I think 4-5 million would be more likely

I really think that depends on whether espn wants to expand with western partners byu Boise etc
03-08-2015 02:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.