Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches who may regret leaving their former jobs.
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Coaches who may regret leaving their former jobs.
First coach that comes to mind is Tom Crean at Indiana. Never thought he should have left Marquette. And Buzz Williams may soon believe he made a mistake leaving Marquette as well.

Who would you put on this list? Doesn't matter football or basketball.
03-08-2015 06:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Coaches who may regret leaving their former jobs.
(03-08-2015 06:17 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  First coach that comes to mind is Tom Crean at Indiana. Never thought he should have left Marquette. And Buzz Williams may soon believe he made a mistake leaving Marquette as well.

Indiana is one of the Elite Jobs in the Country...Crean leaving Marquette is along the same lines of Strong leaving Louisville for Texas...can't blame him...
03-08-2015 07:08 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-08-2015 07:08 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 06:17 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  First coach that comes to mind is Tom Crean at Indiana. Never thought he should have left Marquette. And Buzz Williams may soon believe he made a mistake leaving Marquette as well.

Indiana is one of the Elite Jobs in the Country...Crean leaving Marquette is along the same lines of Strong leaving Louisville for Texas...can't blame him...

I don't think Buzz Williams is having any regrets (yet) either. It's not like people are calling for him to be fired or anything. He can win at VT, and I believe he will be given time to do so. The only thing he may miss is the recruiting he had at Marquette, but he could build something similar at VT if he puts his mind to it.
03-08-2015 07:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas

Strong should have never taken the Texas job. If he doesn't turn it around this next season he will be on the hot seat and that's a shame.
03-08-2015 08:22 AM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
Darrell Hazell for coming to Purdue from Kent State in football.
03-08-2015 09:42 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crean will be fine no matter what happens. Brain Gregory should have stayed at dayton…maybe crean will go to G tech.
03-08-2015 10:29 AM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I understand Indiana is an elite job, but you can make a name for yourself without having to go to an elite program. I understand the challenge but I am just saying. I personally don't think Strong should have left Louisville for Texas but I get it.
03-08-2015 10:49 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
In hindsight it is pretty obvious that Strong shouldn't have gone to Texas. If he was still on the market in Louisville when the Florida job came open then there is no way the guy from Colorado State even gets a sniff at that job.
03-08-2015 11:07 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2015 08:22 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

Strong should have never taken the Texas job. If he doesn't turn it around this next season he will be on the hot seat and that's a shame.

That is true but he also has a Guaranteed $25 Million Contract...if he is on the Hot Seat and Texas gets rid of him he will not stay unemployed for long and has a very nice safety net.
03-08-2015 11:15 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Chris Petersen.
03-08-2015 11:17 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2015 11:07 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  In hindsight it is pretty obvious that Strong shouldn't have gone to Texas. If he was still on the market in Louisville when the Florida job came open then there is no way the guy from Colorado State even gets a sniff at that job.

The ironic thing is McElwaine would have/could have been on the Very Short list here at Louisville in that scenario...he has ties to Louisville...was an Assistant here and Jurich knows him...
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 11:17 AM by Maize.)
03-08-2015 11:17 AM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Todd Lickliter, who was the basketball coach at Butler before he moved "up" to be head coach at Iowa.

3 years after he left Butler, Butler went to the NCAA finals 2 years in a row, eventually grabbing a spot in the Big East conference. Meanwhile, Lickliter got fired after 3 years at Iowa, finishing 8-20 in his last year at Iowa.

Interesting that Brad Stevens, who took over at Butler after Lickliter, and had that great run, also decided to move on to the Boston Celtics. The difference is if things don't work out for Stevens in the NBA, then he could probably name his job in college.
03-08-2015 11:54 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

When you come up with these coaches, I want the thought process to be:

"When I found out that such and such coach was leaving for that school, I knew instantly it was a bad decision."

We can all use hindsight to say some decisions were a bad one.
03-08-2015 12:07 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2015 11:54 AM)goofus Wrote:  Todd Lickliter, who was the basketball coach at Butler before he moved "up" to be head coach at Iowa.

3 years after he left Butler, Butler went to the NCAA finals 2 years in a row, eventually grabbing a spot in the Big East conference. Meanwhile, Lickliter got fired after 3 years at Iowa, finishing 8-20 in his last year at Iowa.

Interesting that Brad Stevens, who took over at Butler after Lickliter, and had that great run, also decided to move on to the Boston Celtics. The difference is if things don't work out for Stevens in the NBA, then he could probably name his job in college.

Interesting with Brad. If he had a desire to coach in the NBA, then it was definitely a good move for him because it is the Boston Celtics.

But I was mixed on this one. I wasn't sure if it was a good move initially or not.
03-08-2015 12:10 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Re: RE: Coaches who may regret leaving their former jobs.
(03-08-2015 10:29 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Crean will be fine no matter what happens. Brain Gregory should have stayed at dayton…maybe crean will go to G tech.

Dayton got a much better coach. You didn't see many Flyer fans complaining when GT hired him away.
03-08-2015 12:47 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(03-08-2015 12:07 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  When you come up with these coaches, I want the thought process to be:

"When I found out that such and such coach was leaving for that school, I knew instantly it was a bad decision."

Then you should have better illustrated that desire with your title. Thing about making a thread around here with a particular direction in mind is that quite often the thread takes a life of it's own and that is just how it is.

That being said, if you are actually seeking a list of coaches that would have immediately regretted leaving their previous job, that list is going to be extremely short because they leave their previous job with the mindset that it is a good thing for themselves.

You wont find any that "instantly" think they made the wrong choice. That just doesn't make any sense, sorry.
03-08-2015 01:39 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2015 01:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 12:07 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  When you come up with these coaches, I want the thought process to be:

Then you should have better illustrated that desire with your title. Thing about making a thread around here with a particular direction in mind is that quite often the thread takes a life of it's own and that is just how it is.

That being said, if you are actually seeking a list of coaches that would have immediately regretted leaving their previous job, that list is going to be extremely short because they leave their previous job with the mindset that it is a good thing for themselves.

You wont find any that "instantly" think they made the wrong choice. That just doesn't make any sense, sorry.

Leave it to you to make something difficult. This is your opinion, not what the damn coach thinks man. I can't ask the f'n coach if he or she regrets taking a job. But I can ask posters if they believe a coach made a wrong decision or not.

It makes perfect sense. We all have opinions. Don't apologize, just answer the freaking question.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 02:09 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
03-08-2015 02:08 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(03-08-2015 12:10 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 11:54 AM)goofus Wrote:  Interesting that Brad Stevens, who took over at Butler after Lickliter, and had that great run, also decided to move on to the Boston Celtics. The difference is if things don't work out for Stevens in the NBA, then he could probably name his job in college.

Interesting with Brad. If he had a desire to coach in the NBA, then it was definitely a good move for him because it is the Boston Celtics.

But I was mixed on this one. I wasn't sure if it was a good move initially or not.

The Celtics are in full tank mode, and have traded away all of their NBA starting level players. And he has his team in the playoff chase. If he were fired - those college jobs would have to get in line behind a lot of other NBA teams.

I wonder if Ben Howland regrets leaving Pitt? I wonder if his successor feels the same way? Also Dunk City does not seem to have made it to Hollywood.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 02:18 PM by adcorbett.)
03-08-2015 02:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Dan Monson
Billy Gillespie
Keno Davis
Darrin Horn
Brad Brownell?
Tim Jankevich?
Oliver Purnell
Brian Gregory
Anthony Grant
Steve Donahue?
Geno Ford
Ken Bone
Trent Johnson?
That Dunk City guy with the hot wife?
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 02:27 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
03-08-2015 02:18 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(03-08-2015 02:08 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 01:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Leave it to you to make something difficult. This is your opinion, not what the damn coach thinks man. I can't ask the f'n coach if he or she regrets taking a job. But I can ask posters if they believe a coach made a wrong decision or not.

It makes perfect sense. We all have opinions. Don't apologize, just answer the freaking question.

I did answer the original question. I am not trying to make this difficult nor am I having a go at you BS69. I was just pointing out that it is no surprise that the thread had veared away from what you intended. I was just trying to say that a discussion about what coaches may think now in terms of regret, that such a discussion would be more fruitful.
03-08-2015 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.