Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WBB post-season hopes
Bookmark and Share
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle TN
WBB post-season hopes
Only three teams (WKU, MT & USM) have a real shot at winning the C-USA tournament. But what are our WNIT hopes as a conference?

MT would likely host all the way to the finals. The Lady Raiders would have one of the better RPIs in the field and absolutely one of the top attendance numbers among the teams competing.

WKU could well get an at-large bid to the NCAA. If the Lady Toppers didn't make the Big Dance, they would probably be the highest RPI in the WNIT. You know the administration would pay the money to host as long as they were still playing.

USM is a lock for the WNIT if they don't win the auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. But will their administration cough up the money to host? You have to like their chances to advance at least a couple of rounds.

ODU and La Tech get in the WNIT based upon name recognition, RPI strength and fan support. With home crowds over 2,000, both schools might get to host at least the opening game.

The big question marks are UAB and UTSA. Despite both being seeded higher in the conference than La Tech (assuming UTSA beats NT tonight), they both have bad RPIs and horrible crowd support. I don't think either get in.
03-07-2015 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NanoDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: LaTech
RE: WBB post-season hopes
There is a slim chance for Lady Techster post season play.
03-07-2015 11:41 PM
WKUAlum92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
WKU is currently 32nd in the RPI as well as being ranked 32nd in the Coaches Poll and 33rd in the AP Poll. We should move up even higher in both Polls after our 2 wins this week. We are currently 27-4. Our OOC losses have been to 10th ranked Louisville and 11th ranked Mississippi State. In Conference we lost to Southern Mississippi who has a RPI of 84 and we lost to UTSA who has a RPI of 193.

As long as we make it to the Finals of the C-USA Tournament we should be a lock for the NCAA Tournament with only one bad loss during the season.

If we win the C-USA Tournament I think we will be an 8 or 9 seed. If we lose in the C-USA Tournament i think we will be a 10 or 11 seed.
03-08-2015 02:38 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(03-07-2015 09:56 PM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  Only three teams (WKU, MT & USM) have a real shot at winning the C-USA tournament.

Once you've been around CUSA a little longer you will learn not to say things like that. This is a conference with a history of upsets that is unbelievable. Any team at the tournament has a real shot at winning the tournament. That has been proven time and time again in the history of this entity. For any sport.
03-08-2015 05:04 AM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

(03-07-2015 11:41 PM)NanoDawg Wrote:  There is a slim chance for Lady Techster post season play.

I wouldn't sell yourself short just yet. C-USA got six teams into the WNIT last season.

RPI of 107 is your main selling point. But even though the WNIT SAYS it doesn't take such things into acount, your name recognition, attendance and coach's story are huge appeals as well.

As long as you win the opening game against FAU, I think you are in.
03-08-2015 07:12 AM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

(03-08-2015 05:04 AM)MUther Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 09:56 PM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  Only three teams (WKU, MT & USM) have a real shot at winning the C-USA tournament.

Once you've been around CUSA a little longer you will learn not to say things like that. This is a conference with a history of upsets that is unbelievable. Any team at the tournament has a real shot at winning the tournament. That has been proven time and time again in the history of this entity. For any sport.

NO other team has a real shot. It's WKU (70-75%), USM (15-20%) and MT (10-15%). The rest of the league has a 5% shot COMBINED.

To win the championship, a team would at least have to beat two of the top three teams. UAB is the only team to have done that. But UAB is in the side of the bracket with MT and USM meaning they would likely have to beat all three top teams. Ain't happening.
03-08-2015 07:25 AM
Advertisement

MarshallHerdFanz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
WBB post-season hopes
Anybody can beat anybody in Conference USA. Watch out.
03-08-2015 09:37 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

If WKU doesn't get to the finals I am not sure we would even make NCAA tournament...Even if we lost finals, I would not want to count on selection comm. for a at large bid....We have been screwed worse in years prior....ODU played us tough yesterday and we lost to UTSA...So it will not be cakewalk even getting to Finals....
03-08-2015 03:14 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-07-2015 09:56 PM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  Only three teams (WKU, MT & USM) have a real shot at winning the C-USA tournament. But what are our WNIT hopes as a conference?

MT would likely host all the way to the finals. The Lady Raiders would have one of the better RPIs in the field and absolutely one of the top attendance numbers among the teams competing.

WKU could well get an at-large bid to the NCAA. If the Lady Toppers didn't make the Big Dance, they would probably be the highest RPI in the WNIT. You know the administration would pay the money to host as long as they were still playing.

USM is a lock for the WNIT if they don't win the auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. But will their administration cough up the money to host? You have to like their chances to advance at least a couple of rounds.ODU and La Tech get in the WNIT based upon name recognition, RPI strength and fan support. With home crowds over 2,000, both schools might get to host at least the opening game.

The big question marks are UAB and UTSA. Despite both being seeded higher in the conference than La Tech (assuming UTSA beats NT tonight), they both have bad RPIs and horrible crowd support. I don't think either get in.
At least in the first round. Maybe second depending on who we are matched with. Everyone here thinks excuse me miss will be in our path. You know the sec gets home court in that tourney.
We have hosted at least one round the 3 times we have been in it.

Im worried about the likely matchup with uab on thursday. I wouldnt mind playing them at other arena but the rim for uab in bartow can be like throwing the ball in a swimming pool.

MT should be worried about Tech. They are the kind of team that can give middle trouble. They are very athletic, playing well and jr already has the officials in this league in his back pocket.
03-08-2015 04:02 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2015 03:14 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  If WKU doesn't get to the finals I am not sure we would even make NCAA tournament...Even if we lost finals, I would not want to count on selection comm. for a at large bid....We have been screwed worse in years prior....ODU played us tough yesterday and we lost to UTSA...So it will not be cakewalk even getting to Finals....

Didnt western get left out with a rpi in the teens once?

I always thought the host got their pick of times on the first day. Why is uab playing at 11am?
03-08-2015 04:04 PM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

(03-08-2015 04:02 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 09:56 PM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  Only three teams (WKU, MT & USM) have a real shot at winning the C-USA tournament. But what are our WNIT hopes as a conference?

USM is a lock for the WNIT if they don't win the auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. But will their administration cough up the money to host? You have to like their chances to advance at least a couple of rounds.ODU and La Tech get in the WNIT based upon name recognition, RPI strength and fan support. With home crowds over 2,000, both schools might get to host at least the opening game.

At least in the first round. Maybe second depending on who we are matched with. Everyone here thinks excuse me miss will be in our path. You know the sec gets home court in that tourney.
We have hosted at least one round the 3 times we have been in it.

Im worried about the likely matchup with uab on thursday. I wouldnt mind playing them at other arena but the rim for uab in bartow can be like throwing the ball in a swimming pool.

MT should be worried about Tech. They are the kind of team that can give middle trouble. They are very athletic, playing well and jr already has the officials in this league in his back pocket.

Right now, I'm worried about EVERY team. With the dismissal of Parker and the loss yesterday of Caroline Warden to a torn ACL, the Lady Raider bench is down to just 7 regular contributors. A freshman has gone from averaging around 7 minutes a game to starting and 3 or 4x those minutes. As I've posted, I don't give MT more than about a 15% chance of winning three games in the tournament.
03-08-2015 04:14 PM
Advertisement

wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2015 04:04 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 03:14 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  If WKU doesn't get to the finals I am not sure we would even make NCAA tournament...Even if we lost finals, I would not want to count on selection comm. for a at large bid....We have been screwed worse in years prior....ODU played us tough yesterday and we lost to UTSA...So it will not be cakewalk even getting to Finals....

I always thought the host got their pick of times on the first day. Why is uab playing at 11am?

Yes rpi 17th. Only team ever out with rpi under 30 I think
03-08-2015 04:15 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Which part of the tournament will NOT be in Bartow ?

Bracket I am looking at is not clear on location.Thanks in advance for any help.
03-08-2015 04:31 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2015 04:31 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Which part of the tournament will NOT be in Bartow ?

Bracket I am looking at is not clear on location.Thanks in advance for any help.

Wednesday and thursday are at bartow. friday and sat all games are in the old civic center about a mile northeast of uab.
03-08-2015 05:35 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-08-2015 04:15 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

That is absolute crap. How do you leave a team with a an RPI under 20 out?? And I am sure MANY P5 teams with 40+ rpi were included as at-larges............
03-08-2015 05:54 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

Yea I forgot the exact year, but our rpi was like 21 or 22, really low and we were left at home...
03-08-2015 09:15 PM
Advertisement

Franko Offline
1st String

(03-08-2015 05:54 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  

That is absolute crap. How do you leave a team with a an RPI under 20 out?? And I am sure MANY P5 teams with 40+ rpi were included as at-larges............
I was thinking it was 18 but regardless it was absurd. I remember seeing a list, I think it was in the Courier Journal, of the top 50 RPI and the ones in bold going to the NCAA tourney and you had to get all the way to the 40's before you saw another team besides WKU who was not in bold.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 05:01 AM by Franko.)
03-09-2015 05:00 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2015 05:00 AM)Franko Wrote:  

I was thinking it was 18 but regardless it was absurd. I remember seeing a list, I think it was in the Courier Journal, of the top 50 RPI and the ones in bold going to the NCAA tourney and you had to get all the way to the 40's before you saw another team besides WKU who was not in bold.

What year was that?
03-09-2015 07:27 AM
WKUAlum92 Offline
Bench Warmer

You are correct Franko. Our RPI was 18th after the 2005-06 season and we were somehow left out of the NCAA Tournament. Here is a link of the RPI rankings for that season.

web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/Wrpi1.html
03-09-2015 09:20 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2015 09:20 AM)WKUAlum92 Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 04:04 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Didnt western get left out with a rpi in the teens once?

You are correct Franko. Our RPI was 18th after the 2005-06 season and we were somehow left out of the NCAA Tournament. Here is a link of the RPI rankings for that season.

web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/Wrpi1.html

Proves we need to win the tournament this weekend or possibly get snubbed again by selection comm....

That team went on to WNIT finals and lost in OT @Kansas St...That was a good team deserving of an NCAA berth in 2006..
03-09-2015 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.