Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

For the good of the conference
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Cincy needs to beat Memphis tomorrow for seeding purposes.

Tulsa needs to beat SMU tomorrow to make the tournament at all (if Tulsa loses to SMU, then Tulsa would need to win the conference tourney to make the dance).

Then the top 4 seeds in the conference tourney need to advance to the semifinals.

Since this would be best for the league, it probably won't come close to happening.
03-07-2015 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
RE: For the good of the conference
(03-07-2015 06:41 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Cincy needs to beat Memphis tomorrow for seeding purposes.

Tulsa needs to beat SMU tomorrow to make the tournament at all (if Tulsa loses to SMU, then Tulsa would need to win the conference tourney to make the dance).

Then the top 4 seeds in the conference tourney need to advance to the semifinals.

Since this would be best for the league, it probably won't come close to happening.

Tough ****. They may win the game, probably will, but they'll earn their seed.
03-07-2015 06:45 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(03-07-2015 06:45 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 06:41 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Cincy needs to beat Memphis tomorrow for seeding purposes.

Tough ****. They may win the game, probably will, but they'll earn their seed.

Have to agree with you here, and I'm not piling on you Cougar, but the Kumbaya, go AAC stuff gets old. Fans want to see their teams win, whether they are in first or last, NCAA or CIT bound, period.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 07:07 PM by rtaylor.)
03-07-2015 07:06 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Sorry, I want the 1 seed
03-07-2015 07:09 PM
Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
Kumbaya all day for me.
03-07-2015 07:10 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

(03-07-2015 07:06 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  Have to agree with you here, and I'm not piling on you Cougar, but the Kumbaya, go AAC stuff gets old. Fans want to see their teams win, whether they are in first or last, NCAA or CIT bound, period.

Kudos for fixing your weather/whether blunder! I did chuckle when I originally saw it but was not going to mention it.

Unfortunately I disagree with you on your actual statement. If my team is going nowhere, like Temple last year, I have no rooting interest in them picking up the 10th win when it knocks out a conference mate from the tournament.

Cheering for an extra win, in that case, is like hoping for a date with the prom beauty queen with blemishes covering your face.
03-07-2015 07:15 PM
Advertisement

Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(03-07-2015 07:15 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:06 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  Have to agree with you here, and I'm not piling on you Cougar, but the Kumbaya, go AAC stuff gets old. Fans want to see their teams win, whether they are in first or last, NCAA or CIT bound, period.

Kudos for fixing your weather/whether blunder! I did chuckle when I originally saw it but was not going to mention it.

Unfortunately I disagree with you on your actual statement. If my team is going nowhere, like Temple last year, I have no rooting interest in them picking up the 10th win when it knocks out a conference mate from the tournament.

Cheering for an extra win, in that case, is like hoping for a date with the prom beauty queen with blemishes covering your face.

Yeah screw that way of thinking. I want Memphis to win
03-07-2015 07:18 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats

No worries, we just disagree, I want UC to win regardless of their record, cant even imagine watching them and thinking, meh, its cool to lose for the good of the conference
03-07-2015 07:25 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
If Memphis beats Cincy, they would get a first round bye in the AAC tournament. Good enough reason for me to root for them. We have to win the conference tourney to make it to the dance, so a bye would increase our odds from miniscule to merely minute.
03-07-2015 07:28 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy

You can always go somewhere. Win the tournament and you are in.
03-07-2015 07:34 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(03-07-2015 07:28 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  If Memphis beats Cincy, they would get a first round bye in the AAC tournament. Good enough reason for me to root for them. We have to win the conference tourney to make it to the dance, so a bye would increase our odds from miniscule to merely minute.

I am pretty sure you have the bye with UConn losing. So really this game does nothing for you. Should focus your energy on the conference tourney. Stay healthy and try to make a run there. And when it is good for the conference it is also good for building your programs as these additional teams getting in add tourney dollars to be paid out to everyone.
03-07-2015 07:34 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

most of you are misinterpreting him, he's not saying anyone should root for there team to lose...but that for anyone without any invested interest in those teams this would be the best outcomes for our league

and its not about kumbaya but the fact we are all tied to the faith of this league, if this league tanks to a 1 bid league realize its taking everyone with it, and if we get a second national championship in a row and another year with numerous teams in the elite 8 please believe ALL our recruiting will boost and that our tv renegotiation in 2019-2020 just got a reason for a significant boost
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 08:04 PM by pesik.)
03-07-2015 07:37 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2015 07:28 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  If Memphis beats Cincy, they would get a first round bye in the AAC tournament. Good enough reason for me to root for them. We have to win the conference tourney to make it to the dance, so a bye would increase our odds from miniscule to merely minute.

Memphis already has clinched the 5 seed bye even if they lose tomorrow. Your reasoning is invalid.
03-07-2015 07:43 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

(03-07-2015 07:34 PM)rosewater Wrote:  

You can always go somewhere. Win the tournament and you are in.

Yes, I suppose miracles happen like UCONN running into the tournament and finishing with the title. More often then not it doesn't happen. Worse an embarrassment might be in store.

In a hypothetical situation, would it be acceptable to somehow get into the tournament but get totally embarrassed in the first game?

For example, Harvard has an outside chance to make it to the dance. Sadly Harvard lost to Virginia early this year 76 to 27. For me, a loss like that would leave a bad taste in my mouth more then not making the tournament at all. Which would you prefer, make the tournament and got embarrassed or not make it and play in another tournament with better odds of winning?
03-07-2015 07:46 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-07-2015 07:10 PM)Cecil_B_DeMoore Wrote:  Kumbaya all day for me.

Kumbaya here too. I want as many spots as possible.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 07:57 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-07-2015 07:57 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-07-2015 07:46 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  Yes, I suppose miracles happen like UCONN running into the tournament and finishing with the title.

Some people say that.

However, while it was seemingly a miracle to the start of the tourney, anyone who knew what they were seeing in the title game knows the better team won the crown.

That UCONN team last year was good; as was the AAC. The seedings didn't mesh with the level of play that we had. SMU probably would have made the Sweet 16, if their ticket would have been punched (like it should have been).
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 08:07 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-07-2015 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

(03-07-2015 07:37 PM)pesik Wrote:  most of you are misinterpreting him, he's not saying anyone should root for there team to lose...but that for anyone without any invested interest in those teams this would be the best outcomes for our league

and its not about kumbaya but the fact we are all tied to the faith of this league, if this league tanks to a 1 bid league realize its taking everyone with it, and if we get a second national championship in a row and another year with numerous teams in the elite 8 please believe ALL our recruiting will boost and that our tv renegotiation in 2019-2020 just got a reason for a significant boost

This
03-07-2015 08:06 PM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(03-07-2015 07:34 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

I am pretty sure you have the bye with UConn losing. So really this game does nothing for you. Should focus your energy on the conference tourney. Stay healthy and try to make a run there. And when it is good for the conference it is also good for building your programs as these additional teams getting in add tourney dollars to be paid out to everyone.

Memphis has a reason to want to win tmr. Screw the good of the conference stuff. I hope we crash everybody's resume.
03-07-2015 08:28 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-07-2015 07:09 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Sorry, I want the 1 seed

Does it always have to be about you ? I think Cougar Red makes a valid point, SMU should do what's best for the conference. I'll put a call in to Larry & explain the situation.
03-07-2015 09:02 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I could care less about any other team. As a matter of fact, I've watched exactly one other AAC game this year and it was the recent Memphis @UCONN game and even then I watched the last 10 min of the second half.
03-07-2015 11:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.