From Bristol Newspaper-Last Night's Game
03-06-2015 07:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: From Bristol Newspaper-Last Night's Game
This just illustrates how badly the defending national champs are playing. The refs all but handed them the game and we still walked away winners, 22-2, unbelievable by any objective measure.
03-06-2015 08:12 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
"Coming off two losses, the sky was falling in Memphis," Pastner said. "A lot of doubters for us this week, we lose our top player in Austin. For our guys to fight, grind and push through it and find a way to get a win here on Senior Night in a hostile environment with our backs against the wall, I'm very proud of our young men."
03-06-2015 09:12 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
This win will let all the fans and haters take a breath and let everyone feel a little better about this team. It keeps the Tigers from slipping into the abyss, which is what would have happened if that last shot didn't fall. I was very happy with the effort the Tigers gave. Good for them.
03-06-2015 09:24 AM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
Believing that JP does not have what it takes to be a good coach does not = being a hater. Great win and the officiatiing reminded me of some games at louisville.
03-06-2015 09:36 AM
eastcoastDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis, ODU
Interesting article. Read the comments. Their fans are as disappointed as those from Tiger Nation...but not as bitter or venomous.
03-06-2015 09:40 AM
Advertisement

tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

From Bristol Newspaper-Last Night's Game
(03-06-2015 09:40 AM)eastcoastDave Wrote:  Interesting article. Read the comments. Their fans are as disappointed as those from Tiger Nation...but not as bitter or venomous.

They won a NC last season. That maybe a reason for them not to be overly critical of a down season.
03-06-2015 09:42 AM
hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
We are way past one game..

We all still know JP cant get us back here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BD6RUdAURE
03-06-2015 09:49 AM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

(03-06-2015 08:12 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  This just illustrates how badly the defending national champs are playing. The refs all but handed them the game and we still walked away winners, 22-2, unbelievable by any objective measure.

a little of the blame for the 22-2 freethrow disparity has to be put on pastner. he did a bit better last night with the refs, but he needs to give them an earful when his players are getting hosed that badly. other than that, pastner and the players looked the best they have all season.
03-06-2015 10:25 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(03-06-2015 09:40 AM)eastcoastDave Wrote:  Interesting article. Read the comments. Their fans are as disappointed as those from Tiger Nation...but not as bitter or venomous.

their comments sure sound familiar:

As I have been saying, the Huskies are a mediocre team in a mediocre league. Unfortunately for those of us who root for UCONN, it looks like this will be our lot for the future. Ollie seems like a great guy, but he needs to prove himself as a recruiter. Getting a quality kid from Mass and a kid with potential from Conn won't do it. And the coaching staff needs to do a better job teaching individuals on the team how to improve. Other than Boatright, who has improved dramatically from year to... ยป more

You can't blame the refs on this one... Yes is was poorly officiated but UConn got way more of the calls.

The last 4 minutes was a microcosm of the whole season.. No set plays pass the ball around on the perimeter and heave up ridiculous shots.

Ryan may play hard but he doesn't play smart and that is a reflection of the whole team. Very low Basketball IQ. Look at the disgust for Ollie from the bench sums it up.
03-06-2015 10:31 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2015 09:36 AM)eltigre Wrote:  Believing that JP does not have what it takes to be a good coach does not = being a hater. Great win and the officiatiing reminded me of some games at louisville.

I'm talking about some posters that want the Tigers to lose for whatever reason. If you want the team to lose, well, that is a hater.
03-06-2015 10:31 AM
Advertisement

ocabaseball21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: memphis
We are way past one game..

We all still know JP cant get us back here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BD6RUdAURE

That video gave me some early morning chills and a look back into what we will become again
03-06-2015 10:42 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

(03-06-2015 09:12 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  "Coming off two losses, the sky was falling in Memphis," Pastner said. "A lot of doubters for us this week, we lose our top player in Austin. For our guys to fight, grind and push through it and find a way to get a win here on Senior Night in a hostile environment with our backs against the wall, I'm very proud of our young men."

He's partly to blame. After that last loss on the radio show all he did was talk about "next season". What did he expect ?
03-06-2015 10:53 AM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(03-06-2015 10:31 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 09:36 AM)eltigre Wrote:  Believing that JP does not have what it takes to be a good coach does not = being a hater. Great win and the officiatiing reminded me of some games at louisville.

I'm talking about some posters that want the Tigers to lose for whatever reason. If you want the team to lose, well, that is a hater.

I really have not noticed any that actually want the team to lose but comments such as those usually come from trolls which quickly get ignored. As for the "regulars" on the board (with the exception of a few "regular" fans of other teams on the board) - i really have not witnessed any actions indicating that they wish the team losses or such. At any rate this was a gutsy win by the players and that game winner almost gave me a heart attack with each bounce it took. And if JP did not get thrown out of the game last night he will likely never get thrown out. That was as good an opportunity for a coach to go crazy as you are going to see.
03-06-2015 11:01 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-06-2015 09:12 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  "Coming off two losses, the sky was falling in Memphis," Pastner said. "A lot of doubters for us this week, we lose our top player in Austin. For our guys to fight, grind and push through it and find a way to get a win here on Senior Night in a hostile environment with our backs against the wall, I'm very proud of our young men."

So am I. An AAC fan on the conference board had this to say:

"Last night appeared to be a showcase for Josh Pastner. Multiple times in the broadcast, the announcers honed in on all of Pastner's 20 win seasons.
Then, for Memphis (with their injury situation) to come out with a win AT UCONN (with how they've been hot lately), Pastner was hailed as the conquering hero.
I know JP has dealt with his share of criticism from those on the board this year. But, I think he's seen nationally as a young coach on the rise.
With such a good recruiting class coming in next year, I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing this face around for awhile."
03-06-2015 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
umbluegray Online
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
My favorite part of the article:

Quote:Trahson Burrell scored 22 points for Memphis, hitting four threes and often taunting the Huskies and the crowd after making shots.
03-06-2015 11:54 AM
Advertisement

wylioats Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2015 07:55 AM)ADallasTiger Wrote:  http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens...story.html

great win for the Tigers

Yes it was. Proud of the guys and the heart they showed in a tough win. Great job!!!!
03-06-2015 11:55 AM
JTS Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-06-2015 11:54 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  My favorite part of the article:

Quote:Trahson Burrell scored 22 points for Memphis, hitting four threes and often taunting the Huskies and the crowd after making shots.

Me too!
03-06-2015 12:01 PM
Flugel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the tigers
(03-06-2015 11:01 AM)eltigre Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 10:31 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  

I really have not noticed any that actually want the team to lose but comments such as those usually come from trolls which quickly get ignored. As for the "regulars" on the board (with the exception of a few "regular" fans of other teams on the board) - i really have not witnessed any actions indicating that they wish the team losses or such. At any rate this was a gutsy win by the players and that game winner almost gave me a heart attack with each bounce it took. And if JP did not get thrown out of the game last night he will likely never get thrown out. That was as good an opportunity for a coach to go crazy as you are going to see.

I couldn't disagree more. By what measure would that have been a good strategy?

I actually think it was good that CJP dis NOT get a tech and especially thrown out. With the fragility of this team and the closeness of the game, it would likely have assured the loss. I was shocked he didn't get a t when he ran towards the official on the phantom Burrell foul.

You don't get respect from refs by yelling and constantly berating them. In fact, that usually will do more damage over the long run. If you watch CJP on the sidelines, he is usually talking to them a lot, just rarely making a spectacle. He doesn't have the pedigree to intimidate them by reputation so what makes you think that screaming and jumping up and down to show up the refs is a good strategy?? Especially when you have to play in the same locale with very likely the same crew in the AAC tourney. The team knows he supports them. It may work down in the rec leagues but not in D1. Heck, it doesn't usually work well in high school.
03-06-2015 12:02 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-06-2015 12:02 PM)Flugel Wrote:  The team knows he supports them. ....

Yes. That probably has a lot to do with why they play their hearts out for him. The character, togetherness and spirit of this bunch of Tigers is very commendable and that is a good reflection upon Pastner.
03-06-2015 12:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.