Complete hypocrites.
03-05-2015 12:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RheaJ Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHIS, DUH
RE: You asked Cal for loyalty.
Meds, please take them. You make the good fans look like complete fools.
03-05-2015 12:58 AM
450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
(03-05-2015 12:44 AM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  I am truly ashamed to be a Tiger fan....

Now THAT'S being a miserable.
03-05-2015 12:58 AM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
I think the Pastner bashing no matter what the thread crowd is the very loud minority. Probably about the same in numbers as the support Pastner no matter what crowd. I think the huge majority of Tiger fans really want to see Coach Pastner succeed, and succeed here, but they don't want another year like this past season. Most of us aren't convinced that firing Coach is the way to go, but we want some type of reassurance that we are headed in the right direction. All it would really take is some bit of positive news - a big win goes a long way, an unexpected recruit or incoming transfer would really help, or a really good assistant coach hiring would be nice. Something that serves as an answer to all of the negative comments, something that says that the negativity shown here doesn't really reflect what the rest of the world sees when it looks at Coach Pastner and the Tiger program.
03-05-2015 01:01 AM
MGR Offline
1st String

Josh has made so much cash and got a giant career boost, no matter what happens.

If he happens to be whacked out, which probably does need to happen, he's mega rich, with a lot of experience, and a whole lot of time left to reconstruct his career in a new situation.

I actually think he will be a good coach. But the evidence certainly indicates that the ship has sailed here.

If he is retained though I will support him. What else is
there to do?
03-05-2015 01:07 AM
FORealTigerFan Offline
Say What?

I Root For: Beer
(03-05-2015 01:01 AM)Trapper John Wrote:  I think the Pastner bashing no matter what the thread crowd is the very loud minority. Probably about the same in numbers as the support Pastner no matter what crowd. I think the huge majority of Tiger fans really want to see Coach Pastner succeed, and succeed here, but they don't want another year like this past season. Most of us aren't convinced that firing Coach is the way to go, but we want some type of reassurance that we are headed in the right direction. All it would really take is some bit of positive news - a big win goes a long way, an unexpected recruit or incoming transfer would really help, or a really good assistant coach hiring would be nice. Something that serves as an answer to all of the negative comments, something that says that the negativity shown here doesn't really reflect what the rest of the world sees when it looks at Coach Pastner and the Tiger program.

We could possibly have 5 guys transfer in a years time. Players have lost faith, fans have lost faith. He is living off bad jucos and out of shape transfers. He has been here long enough. He needs to move on.
03-05-2015 01:14 AM
Advertisement

Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(03-05-2015 01:14 AM)FORealTigerFan Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 01:01 AM)Trapper John Wrote:  I think the Pastner bashing no matter what the thread crowd is the very loud minority. Probably about the same in numbers as the support Pastner no matter what crowd. I think the huge majority of Tiger fans really want to see Coach Pastner succeed, and succeed here, but they don't want another year like this past season. Most of us aren't convinced that firing Coach is the way to go, but we want some type of reassurance that we are headed in the right direction. All it would really take is some bit of positive news - a big win goes a long way, an unexpected recruit or incoming transfer would really help, or a really good assistant coach hiring would be nice. Something that serves as an answer to all of the negative comments, something that says that the negativity shown here doesn't really reflect what the rest of the world sees when it looks at Coach Pastner and the Tiger program.

We could possibly have 5 guys transfer in a years time. Players have lost faith, fans have lost faith. He is living off bad jucos and out of shape transfers. He has been here long enough. He needs to move on.

Maybe - but I was told by someone "in the know" that his biggest recruiting job last year was going to be to get Austin to stay. Well, Austin stayed. He may have 5 players transfer out, he may have zero players transfer out. The problem this year was that we needed juco players and transfer players to be starters - and they simply weren't ready. That does fall on the head coach, and it falls on the players. But we should be better next year - and yes that also falls on the head coach overall, and on the players individually.
03-05-2015 02:11 AM
Rocket City Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-05-2015 12:42 AM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  I don't blame Cal for leaving now.

You guys are some awful human beings.

Pastner is a great man, and you are a bunch of little turds.

Cal was smart to leave you little turds.

The world is full of great men.

Coach Pastner is being paid to win at a high level. He has failed at that.
03-05-2015 02:34 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

He might be saved by hiring the Dad of some of the best HS recruits coming in.

Again, no clue why Pastner has struggled so mightily in targeting mostly HS recruits (across the nation, not just in Memphis) instead of taking everyone's troubled transfers...as almost any Memphis HC should be able to get in the front door of scores of top HS recruits from across the nation (especially now in the AAC, a much better hoop conf than old CUSA).

It seems that Pastner was going for quick fix (to get raises and/or move on to a higher paying program), which the AD should have stopped...as Memphis is a top hoop program that can win by recruiting/targeting top HS players from across the nation.

Many AD's stop that practice (i.e. coach sacrificing future success by going after troubled transfers and JUCO's) as thats a sign of selfishness by coach who is trying to win quick (screw the future) and they usually use that success to move to a higher level (higher paying) program.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 07:18 AM by KnightLight.)
03-05-2015 07:15 AM
ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers
(03-05-2015 07:15 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Again, no clue why Pastner has struggled so mightily in targeting mostly HS recruits (across the nation, not just in Memphis) instead of taking everyone's troubled transfers...as almost any Memphis HC should be able to get in the front door of scores of top HS recruits from across the nation (especially now in the AAC, a much better hoop conf than old CUSA).

It seems that Pastner was going for quick fix (to get raises and/or move on to a higher paying program), which the AD should have stopped...as Memphis is a top hoop program that can win by recruiting/targeting top HS players from across the nation.

Many AD's stop that practice (i.e. coach sacrificing future success by going after troubled transfers and JUCO's) as thats a sign of selfishness by coach who is trying to win quick (screw the future) and they usually use that success to move to a higher level (higher paying) program.

He wasn't doing that to win quick and move on, it was all he could actually get to sign after several years of players not making the NBA and having so many transfer out. His ship has sailed and the roster we have now is a sign that his so called recruiting prowess is gone unless their is a parent to hire
03-05-2015 07:49 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(03-05-2015 07:49 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 07:15 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

He wasn't doing that to win quick and move on, it was all he could actually get to sign after several years of players not making the NBA and having so many transfer out. His ship has sailed and the roster we have now is a sign that his so called recruiting prowess is gone unless their is a parent to hire

We can agree to disagree....that...or he was just clueless on how to BUILD a program...because you don't do what he did (i.e. put a huge emphasis on cast-offs from other programs and other JUCO's).

You build a program by bringing in HS players and DEVELOPING them over 3-4 years...and if you do that year after year after year...you have a culture of a program that has depth.

Pastern's past recruiting focus shows just how inexperienced he was...and many look at it as a money grab (from Memphis, which worked and/or from other programs...which isn't happening now obviously).
03-05-2015 07:52 AM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(03-05-2015 12:42 AM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  I don't blame Cal for leaving now.

You guys are some awful human beings.

Pastner is a great man, and you are a bunch of little turds.

Cal was smart to leave you little turds.

Do you understand how hard it is to be this bad at Memphis in basketball? The last time we were this bad it took the head coach getting himself fired days before the season started........
03-05-2015 08:46 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Some of you folks take it all a little too seriously.

The guy is being paid $2.6 million as a BASKETBALL coach.

No one calls out his character - it's just that some feel he is a lousy floor coach.

If he was a good floor coach, he'd have the job as long as he wanted it.
03-05-2015 09:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

Another one of these threads. Awesome.
03-05-2015 09:23 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-05-2015 08:46 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  Do you understand how hard it is to be this bad at Memphis in basketball? The last time we were this bad it took the head coach getting himself fired days before the season started........

So winning IS a "birthright"?
03-05-2015 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
High quality stuff.
03-05-2015 10:02 AM
Advertisement

btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(03-05-2015 10:01 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 08:46 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  Do you understand how hard it is to be this bad at Memphis in basketball? The last time we were this bad it took the head coach getting himself fired days before the season started........

So winning IS a "birthright"?

yep. a winning record is guaranteed every year before the first game is played. you have to be really bad to screw this up
03-05-2015 10:05 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
Sweet, I thought this thread had been deleted.

Hey tigerbandit, I hear pedialite works wonders.
03-05-2015 10:46 AM
MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
(03-05-2015 07:52 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  You build a program by bringing in HS players and DEVELOPING them over 3-4 years...and if you do that year after year after year...you have a culture of a program that has depth.

That was probably his intention. He brought in highly rated players his first few years. The problem lies in the lack of development and lack of drafted players. Add in the number of transfers, suspensions, etc and eventually it clamps off the recruiting pipeline. Doesn't take many years of that for it to become the perception of the Memphis program and for coaches to use that against JP on the recruiting trail. This, in turn, leads to losing the Skal's, Chiozza's, Leron Black's, etc and being forced to take JUCOs and transfers. Its a downward spiral that will continue until a coaching change is made.

We no longer have a "program" or a "system". We have chaos and confusion in every aspect from recruiting, roster construction, offensive & defensive sets, identified roles, substitution patterns, etc, etc, etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 11:16 AM by MemphisTiger15.)
03-05-2015 11:16 AM
btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(03-05-2015 11:16 AM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 07:52 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  You build a program by bringing in HS players and DEVELOPING them over 3-4 years...and if you do that year after year after year...you have a culture of a program that has depth.

That was probably his intention. He brought in highly rated players his first few years. The problem lies in the lack of development and lack of drafted players. Add in the number of transfers, suspensions, etc and eventually it clamps off the recruiting pipeline. Doesn't take many years of that for it to become the perception of the Memphis program and for coaches to use that against JP on the recruiting trail. This, in turn, leads to losing the Skal's, Chiozza's, Leron Black's, etc and being forced to take JUCOs and transfers. Its a downward spiral that will continue until a coaching change is made.

We no longer have a "program" or a "system". We have chaos and confusion in every aspect from recruiting, roster construction, offensive & defensive sets, identified roles, substitution patterns, etc, etc, etc.

"chaos" is good description
03-05-2015 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.