Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

I'm back to talk about roofing
Bookmark and Share
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I'm back to talk about roofing
I'm seeking a second opinion on repairing/replacing my roof.

One contractor says I can replace the back part of my roof and then when necessary replace the front part. The back part has a hole in it which the contractor says was created by squirrels, but it was installed just 8 years ago. I am being advised the whole back portion needs replacing. In eight years?

Can they match the shingles so when I get the front part done, it wil lmatch the back, and it will look good enough to sell my home?

Is a 5-year warranty on labor the new standard in the industry?
Should I spring for the 30-year warranty on the shingles rather than the 25-year warranty in order to make my home more attractive to homebuyers?

Suggestions on any roofing contractors? What about Rob Jolly? Thanks, guys and gals.
03-03-2015 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

I Root For: Memphis TIGERS
RE: I'm back to talk about roofing
(03-03-2015 04:12 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  I'm seeking a second opinion on repairing/replacing my roof.

One contractor says I can replace the back part of my roof and then when necessary replace the front part. The back part has a hole in it which the contractor says was created by squirrels, but it was installed just 8 years ago. I am being advised the whole back portion needs replacing. In eight years?

Can they match the shingles so when I get the front part done, it wil lmatch the back, and it will look good enough to sell my home?

Should I spring for the 30-year warranty on the shingles rather than the 25-year warranty in order to make my home more attractive to homebuyers?

Suggestions on any roofing contractors? What about Rob Jolly? Thanks, guys and gals.

I've got to believe you could repair and clean your roof for less than $2000. Especially, if you're not planning on staying there for more than a decade.

I don't know about their pricing, but the Tin Man has done some of the best work I've ever seen.
03-03-2015 05:50 PM
TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
Isn't the Tinman in a Tiger Bookstore commercial?
03-03-2015 06:09 PM
Heisman

(03-03-2015 05:50 PM)supertiger Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 04:12 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  I'm seeking a second opinion on repairing/replacing my roof.

I've got to believe you could repair and clean your roof for less than $2000. Especially, if you're not planning on staying there for more than a decade.

I don't know about their pricing, but the Tin Man has done some of the best work I've ever seen.

Thanks! The front part of my roof may be 20-25 years old, and I hope to sell in the next five years. It has been my experience with trying to sell a house these days (my siblings') that you need a new roof, or newer roof, to get any buyers or buyers who are financing through banks. Several realtors have told us they won't take a home with an old roof.
03-03-2015 06:10 PM
Advertisement

TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Matching will be an issue anytime you patch your roof, unless you have extra shingles or it's a very basic gray or black shingle.

My advice would be to simply patch the part with the hole, not worrying too much about how well it matches. That shouldn't set you back much money. Save money for a new roof and just before you are ready to sell, put on a whole new roof. You won't have to worry about matching and you will be able to say "brand new roof!" when you put it on the market.

There are a lot of Jolly roofers out there. I've heard everything from "1 or 2 are good" to "don't use any roofer with the last name Jolly". I had Rob Jolly do a quote on a repair for me. He seemed like a nice guy and the quote for his solution wasn't too high. The problem is his only solution was a completely new roof. I ended up fixing the problem for about $500.

I use Powell Brothers Roofing. The owner is Charles Powell and his family has been roofing for decades. They are also Tiger fans.
03-04-2015 03:32 PM
Tiger-n-Bear Offline
Special Teams

I used these folks to replace the roof on my mom's house, reasonable price considering she had three layers to remove. And, they were nice people. I was like you, and actually found the recommendation for them here in this forum.

http://www.jdroof.com
03-14-2015 05:39 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(03-04-2015 03:32 PM)TigerNK Wrote:  Matching will be an issue anytime you patch your roof, unless you have extra shingles or it's a very basic gray or black shingle.

My advice would be to simply patch the part with the hole, not worrying too much about how well it matches. That shouldn't set you back much money. Save money for a new roof and just before you are ready to sell, put on a whole new roof. You won't have to worry about matching and you will be able to say "brand new roof!" when you put it on the market.

I advocate this plan.
03-15-2015 10:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Heisman

Thank you all for your advice. I am contacting all the recommended companies for estimates.

I also appreciate the advice to patch and then put on a new roof later. However, I am fairly certain that my 30 year old roof needs replacing now, and I will get that evaluated further. I have had one ceiling fall in, and a couple others don't look good. I need a thorough and reliable evaluation. There will probably not be funds available to replace my roof when I get ready to sell, whenever that is.
03-15-2015 10:39 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
I don't know any inner workings of roofing to be sure, but I just had one put onto a 2,000 sq ft house by Brian Elder Roofing Solutions.
They were very easy to work with and offer a seven year FULLY TRANSFERABLE warranty on their workmanship. So... That's all I know and that if I were to sell I would be able to ask just a touch more than the investment and add brand new roof w/ 7yr warranty as a selling point. Oh and they did it all in a day.
it was pretty cheap relative to other estimates and they'll give you $200 to refer a friend
03-16-2015 04:21 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Thanks for getting that stupid Brian Elder Roofing Solutions jingle stuck in my head, 21!

03-nutkick
03-16-2015 04:39 PM
Advertisement

Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
(03-16-2015 04:39 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  Thanks for getting that stupid Brian Elder Roofing Solutions jingle stuck in my head, 21!

03-nutkick

My fault. Sorry.

I know it was stuck in mine all afternoon. haha.
They really did do great work though and was very happy with it.
03-17-2015 11:20 AM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

Highly recommend Rob Jolly. He's done at least 2 roofs for me.

Very trustworthy.

03-22-2015 01:10 PM
Heisman

Thanks. I'm still sifting through.
03-22-2015 09:42 PM
Heisman

Just an update. I really appreciated all the suggestions. I was mightily impressed by Huntingdon Roofing since they had hundreds of glowing reports on Angie's List and made a very professional proposal at a great price, but I went with Powell Brothers even though they were a bit higher because of the extremely professional and thorough and sincere proposal by Charles Powell. He explained everything fully and looked me in the eye. My new roof is on, the workmanship seems fantastic and the roof looks great, the crew could not have been nicer, and they left every inch around my home even cleaner than when they found it. I have never seen guys work so hard.

This family-owned company was easy to deal with, went the extra mile, and I cannot recommend them more highly. Thanks for the referral, NK!
06-28-2015 12:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.