Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Memphis fans high basketball IQ....
Bookmark and Share
SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
First of all let me make it clear I am a huge Tiger fan and I believe I have an average or better understanding of the game of basketball, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, I'm just curious. When all these TV announcers and coaches (and I have heard it quite a bit over the years) say that "Memphis fans are very knowledgeable about the game of basketball" what do they mean exactly and where are they getting it from? Is it crowd reactions during the game or conversations they have had with certain fans that make them think that? And if it's true could it be something that would keep a coach from wanting to coach here?
03-03-2015 09:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Memphis fans high basketball IQ....
The announcers are just being kind...we really don't know jack.

Seriously, I've heard announcers say the same thing about Syracuse fans and Arizona fans and Butler fans...that's just this season. I think it has become a cliche.
03-03-2015 09:23 AM
SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

We know Big Jack!
03-03-2015 09:28 AM
SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

I won't disagree that it's become somewhat cliche but I have heard it about us for years and I don't think it's just pandering to the audience.
03-03-2015 09:52 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
Not sure about "baketball IQ" but it does reign king here. Did a lot of work travel for years and years and not being a native, it struck me as odd that the most commonly discussed topic between strangers on the bus taking you from the airport to the parking garage (or back) was tiger roundball. This was true even in the middle of the summer.
03-03-2015 09:58 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Memphis basketball fans as a whole do have a great basketball IQ because they have been exposed to a great program for the last 50 years. We have seen the best roll through Memphis and we have played against the best in various conferences, on the road and in the NCAA tournaments over the years.

It's not like we just started playing/watching hoops in the last few years.
03-03-2015 10:25 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Stop. Memphis fans are no better or worse than any other fans across the country. Some just have divided loyalties.
03-03-2015 10:28 AM
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators
May be cliche but I think it is how quickly the crowd reacts to a call on the court particularly a possible erroneous one.

They have always said this but since the grzz came, they know that most people here are watching bball 5-7 days a week so there is some merit to it imho.

Personally there are a lot of nuances I miss and I keep my mouth shut during NBA games because I don't know the rule differences.

I don't think it would have any impact on a coaches decision unless they were really insecure (nod, nod, wink,wink).
03-03-2015 10:34 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

The problem with the refs in college is that they just work too many games.
03-03-2015 10:36 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
With the advent of television, all fans are exposed to the game. I don't think Memphis as a city is any smarter about hoops than any other city or fan base. It is a tired cliche.
03-03-2015 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

They're talking specifically about Tigerscane.
03-03-2015 10:58 AM
Advertisement

SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

Re: RE: Memphis fans high basketball IQ....
(03-03-2015 10:34 AM)Bill83 Wrote:  May be cliche but I think it is how quickly the crowd reacts to a call on the court particularly a possible erroneous one.

They have always said this but since the grzz came, they know that most people here are watching bball 5-7 days a week so there is some merit to it imho.

Personally there are a lot of nuances I miss and I keep my mouth shut during NBA games because I don't know the rule differences.

I don't think it would have any impact on a coaches decision unless they were really insecure (nod, nod, wink,wink).

So possibly the announcers are picking up on crowd responses to calls and or non-calls?
03-03-2015 11:01 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(03-03-2015 11:01 AM)SmokyTiger Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 10:34 AM)Bill83 Wrote:  May be cliche but I think it is how quickly the crowd reacts to a call on the court particularly a possible erroneous one.

So possibly the announcers are picking up on crowd responses to calls and or non-calls?

Louisville and Kentucky fans are way worse than we are about this. They gripe at every call. I watched that Ark/UK game and if I had a nickel for every time I heard the crowd yell WALK I could buy out Josh.
03-03-2015 11:04 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
I think that perception is fueled largely by that fact that Memphis has never enjoyed success in anything other than hoops, first with the Tigers and now with the Griz, until last seasons football team. It may simply be pandering as well.
03-03-2015 11:06 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators

In St. Louis, they say we're knowledgeable because we clap when someone bunts the guy to second, even though it's statistically a bad call.

In Memphis, they say you're knowledgeable because you can plainly see that the point guard has been left out to dry by bad positioning on the press, and articulate this discovery with great, colorful enthusiasm and alliterative prose.
03-03-2015 11:07 AM
SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

There is no doubt that the city has had Memphis Tiger basketball and now the Grizzlies as a unifying force no matter what differences we might have concerning politics, religion, race etc we can all agree and or disagree on basketball. We talk about it all the time at work, in church and on the street corner and that I think makes us more educated as a whole.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 11:15 AM by SmokyTiger.)
03-03-2015 11:14 AM
Advertisement

SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I absolutely believe that Memphis fans are more knowledgeable as a whole than the average fan base. I live in New Orleans, and the amount of basketball fans that have a deep knowledge about the game (different defenses, recruiting, offensive sets, etc), is a whole lot less than back home. Example, in Memphis, most fans already know who the top sophomores in high school are. That is far from the case here or in other places I have lived. The top senior player in New Orleans is barely known (heck, they barely know who is the top college player is).
03-03-2015 11:47 AM
OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
TV announcers and other coaches based their opinions of Memphis fans having high basketball IQ by reading MT.org every day.
03-04-2015 12:03 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2015 10:54 AM)Strat57 Wrote:  With the advent of television, all fans are exposed to the game. I don't think Memphis as a city is any smarter about hoops than any other city or fan base. It is a tired cliche.

I used to think that before I went to a bunch of away games. The crowd in Memphis knows basketball a lot better than Ole Miss, UTK, Ark St, utk, USM etc. Louisville fans are very knowledgeable. I think it has do do with the level of basketball played and witnessed by fans over years
03-04-2015 12:07 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(03-04-2015 12:03 AM)OneShiningMoment Wrote:  TV announcers and other coaches based their opinions of Memphis fans having high basketball IQ by reading MT.org every day.

Ahead of the curve.

Yes, Memphians have high basketball IQ's.
03-04-2015 12:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.