Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Let’s Get Real
Bookmark and Share
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Let’s Get Real
This board is filled with threads about Pastner’s lack of coaching ability but supporters counter with his track record as proof. IMHO using a record of primarily winning in CUSA and defeating low level OOC D1 teams is no proof at all. Our record against ranked teams is an eye opener. The national analysts have been making this point for years, and it has been backed up by dismal NCAAT seedings year after year.

We all know about the academic progress, clean NCAA infractions, non-arrest record, (ect-ect) for the program under Josh. So let’s discuss his PRIMARY goal. His primary responsibilities are to recruit good talented players, train/develop the players, manage the roster, remain competitive, and win games.

This thread is for the members who label critics of Pastner haters, miserables, bandwagoners, fair-weather fans, (ect-ect). So my question is what do you think are the things Josh does very well during his in-game coaching, player development and roster management? I’m leaving out recruitment, competiveness, and wins.

IN-GAME coaching, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT, and ROSTER MANAGEMENT are three of his very important PRIMARY responsibilities, so let’s hear your views on them. The floor is yours…
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 03:51 PM by BealeStreetTiger.)
03-02-2015 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

450bench Online

RE: Let’s Get Real
He's killing the program and should be released at the end of the year.
03-02-2015 04:28 PM
ToldYa Offline
Banned

There's only 3-4 pastner supporters left.
03-02-2015 04:37 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(03-02-2015 04:28 PM)450bench Wrote:  He's killing the program and should be released at the end of the year.

Not according to his supporters and this is why I started this thread.

A few days ago the question was asked: What did you like about Josh’s in-game coaching? Although there Josh supporters in the thread only a couple replied and no one really addressed it.

After a couple of days I started to think about the question and I could find little reasons to approve of his in-game coaching at all. So I was curious if they were seeing something I and others didn’t, thus this thread.

So far 110 views and not a single supporter’s reply.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 04:43 PM by BealeStreetTiger.)
03-02-2015 04:42 PM
hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
I thought the strong majority of us were in agreement that Pastner sux. Truth be told, he should have been gone after year 4 or 5. Go back in time, don't give him the raise or extension, we still had a decent brand at that point. Why continue to debate it, its done.
03-02-2015 04:42 PM
thewood3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M
(03-02-2015 04:42 PM)BealeStreetTiger Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 04:28 PM)450bench Wrote:  He's killing the program and should be released at the end of the year.

A few days ago the question was asked: What did you like about Josh’s in-game coaching? Although there Josh supporters in the thread only a couple replied and no one really addressed it.

After a couple of days I started to think about the question and I could find little reasons to approve of his in-game coaching at all. So I was curious if they were seeing something I and others didn’t, thus this thread.

There will not be any supporters jumping in to answer your question bc deep down they realize he can't coach.
03-02-2015 04:44 PM
Advertisement

tigergg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Let’s Get Real
In Game coaching- I've seen over the years his teams run maybe 2 offensive sets, the high pick and sometimes the low pick..Player development- can't name anyone but DJ, but he was an athletic freak and for people to say JJ or anyone else did well to me it's natural for a player to get better(usually) from year to year..Roster Mgmt- I think he is beyond bad in this area.. Overall I would give him a D..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-02-2015 04:48 PM
angusbethune Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TIGERS
(03-02-2015 03:48 PM)BealeStreetTiger Wrote:  This board is filled with threads about Pastner’s lack of coaching ability but supporters counter with his track record as proof. IMHO using a record of primarily winning in CUSA and defeating low level OOC D1 teams is no proof at all. Our record against ranked teams is an eye opener. The national analysts have been making this point for years, and it has been backed up by dismal NCAAT seedings year after year.

We all know about the academic progress, clean NCAA infractions, non-arrest record, (ect-ect) for the program under Josh. So let’s discuss his PRIMARY goal. His primary responsibilities are to recruit good talented players, train/develop the players, manage the roster, remain competitive, and win games.

This thread is for the members who label critics of Pastner haters, miserables, bandwagoners, fair-weather fans, (ect-ect). So my question is what do you think are the things Josh does very well during his in-game coaching, player development and roster management? I’m leaving out recruitment, competiveness, and wins.

IN-GAME coaching, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT, and ROSTER MANAGEMENT are three of his very important PRIMARY responsibilities, so let’s hear your views on them. The floor is yours…

I am probably not the target audience for your question (as I am not a blind Pastner supporter or basher) but I will play Devil's advocate.

In terms of player progression, the players I have seen develop (over the past two seasons) are Nichols, King (somewhat), and Crawford.

Nichols

-built his muscle frame
-more confident shooting from 10-15ft
-much more aggressive on the defensive side (blocks and rebounds) than his freshman year
-On court leadership - he is much more vocal, instructing players where to be and directing defense

King

-Freethrows. Not so much in the percentage but the style and confidence of shot. If his PT was up I think his percentage would be up as well.

Crawford
-defensive intensity. Through the year, Crawford has established himself as defensive minded guard. I noted a number of blown defensive assignments earlier in the year from Crawford but those are becoming fewer and far between (not to say he doesn't get out matched from time to time). I'm excited to see where this goes over the next few seasons.

-shot selection. I'll start this by stating I still think this team has a long way to go with shot selection but when looking back at some of the earlier games this season, the team was jacking up shots within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. I think the team has in general improved on this and Markel more than most in this aspect. If he shoots from long range it is generally a better shot than not. When he is in trouble the instinct seems to be pass first as opposed to forcing the shot.

In truth, I am not sure that these results were driven directly by Paster's influence (or that they wouldn't have happened with any other coach at the helm) but these were some positives I saw from this rough season. This was just my 'quick-and-dirty' analysis as I am sure there are other silver linings that I have failed to note. While I'm not expecting it, I would love for these guys to go on a run in the Conference Tourny and to be dancing later this month. At the very least, I would like a decent showing in Hartford and a run in the NIT.
03-02-2015 04:50 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(03-02-2015 04:42 PM)hopeum Wrote:  I thought the strong majority of us were in agreement that Pastner sux. Truth be told, he should have been gone after year 4 or 5. Go back in time, don't give him the raise or extension, we still had a decent brand at that point. Why continue to debate it, its done.

I agree but I want to give his hardcore crew a chance to show that other than their usual record achievement argument, what do they like about his actual coaching.

In other words what do they see that I and others don’t.
03-02-2015 04:50 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

In-game coaching: Not trying to be a ****, but there isn't a thing I like about how he handles in-game situations. I don't like his substitutions, how he handles refs, plays out of timeouts, and how he seemingly doesn't know what he wants to do from a philosophy standpoint.

Player development: Not trying to be a ****, but I don't think anyone has developed under Josh - as a basketball player. DJ is the closest example and I'm not sure that didn't have more to do with DJ than it did Josh.

Roster management: I'm fine with this FOR THE MOST PART when it comes to disciplining players, etc. However, the construction of the roster via recruiting (which we can't discuss for the purposes of this argument) has been handled VERY poorly.
03-02-2015 04:55 PM
TwoTimeTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
There are many supporters who do not post on this cess-pool pf negative people.

How can the moderators of this board allow posters to call the coach a clown and make fun of him. This is a public board and the coach should command respect.

You can criticize, but to call names and acting like a bunch of 10 years olds is absurb.

I started in 1966 and I have bad years and good years. This years is not good, but some of the ten year old posters would ahve everyone think the sky is falling.

Like I said, the board should allow all the criticism any fan can write, but the moderators should stop the name calling and demeaning posts.

Otherwise, take the board private and drop the Memphis Tigers.org name.
03-02-2015 05:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

450bench Online

(03-02-2015 04:42 PM)BealeStreetTiger Wrote:  

I'm the one who asked that question. No one answered it. Not one person.
03-02-2015 05:18 PM
RheaJ Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHIS, DUH
He's a great guy and has kept the program afloat after Cal destroyed it. I'm fine with the job he has done and how well Memphis is perceived because of Coach Josh Wooden. Just wait til next year, you guys will be singing a different tune lol.
03-02-2015 05:19 PM
hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
(03-02-2015 05:19 PM)RheaJ Wrote:  He's a great guy and has kept the program afloat after Cal destroyed it. I'm fine with the job he has done and how well Memphis is perceived because of Coach Josh Wooden. Just wait til next year, you guys will be singing a different tune lol.

True, next year's "We don't like Josh" tune will be more gangsta rap in nature. This year it's a soft melody, "we just weren't meant for each other"
03-02-2015 05:22 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(03-02-2015 05:19 PM)RheaJ Wrote:  He's a great guy and has kept the program afloat after Cal destroyed it. I'm fine with the job he has done and how well Memphis is perceived because of Coach Josh Wooden. Just wait til next year, you guys will be singing a different tune lol.

“Just wait til next year”. Lol, now that’s really POPE.

Being the leader of a pro Josh facebook page I thought you of all people would answer the question(s).

But in a way maybe you just did.03-yes
03-02-2015 05:54 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(03-02-2015 05:17 PM)TwoTimeTiger Wrote:  There are many supporters who do not post on this cess-pool pf negative people.

How can the moderators of this board allow posters to call the coach a clown and make fun of him. This is a public board and the coach should command respect.

You can criticize, but to call names and acting like a bunch of 10 years olds is absurb.

I started in 1966 and I have bad years and good years. This years is not good, but some of the ten year old posters would ahve everyone think the sky is falling.

Like I said, the board should allow all the criticism any fan can write, but the moderators should stop the name calling and demeaning posts.

03-02-2015 06:03 PM
Advertisement

Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-02-2015 04:55 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  In-game coaching: Not trying to be a ****, but there isn't a thing I like about how he handles in-game situations. I don't like his substitutions, how he handles refs, plays out of timeouts, and how he seemingly doesn't know what he wants to do from a philosophy standpoint.

Player development: Not trying to be a ****, but I don't think anyone has developed under Josh - as a basketball player. DJ is the closest example and I'm not sure that didn't have more to do with DJ than it did Josh.

Roster management: I'm fine with this FOR THE MOST PART when it comes to disciplining players, etc. However, the construction of the roster via recruiting (which we can't discuss for the purposes of this argument) has been handled VERY poorly.

This
03-02-2015 06:11 PM
Quote this message in a reply
ToldYa Offline
Banned

(03-02-2015 06:11 PM)Rob Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 04:55 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  In-game coaching: Not trying to be a ****, but there isn't a thing I like about how he handles in-game situations. I don't like his substitutions, how he handles refs, plays out of timeouts, and how he seemingly doesn't know what he wants to do from a philosophy standpoint.

This
03-02-2015 06:18 PM
Hoots Offline
1st String

I really don't know where I stand yet on Josh. I have gone back and forth on the situation. This season has been a disappointment by Tigers standards, but I'm not sure it's been to the point where the wheels have completely come off and a change is necessary. For the most part, the team has improved over the year. Still, a handful of games which should have been wins became defeats. So, what to do. I say give him another season and see what happens. I would hate to see a change made and the new coach come in and struggle, only to be subjected to the same criticism Josh is seeing right now.

The biggest surprise for me this season was this.......Wayyyyyy too many fair-weather fans in this fan base. The mantra of "I'll support the team as long as it's winning" is ridiculous. You're a fan, or you're not. Boycotts are bogus.
03-02-2015 06:23 PM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

(03-02-2015 06:03 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 05:17 PM)TwoTimeTiger Wrote:  There are many supporters who do not post on this cess-pool pf negative people.

get a room, you two.
03-02-2015 06:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.