Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I don't have the answer for this, but what are your thoughts?
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Assuming we had the money, which we don't, to finance a football program, would this help in basketball recruiting? I think, especially in the South, if you don't have a football program, you have a harder time recruiting for basketball. Obviously there are a few schools that do pretty well that don't field a football team, notably Belmont, UTA, and Oral Roberts, but would it help in Little Rock?04-cheers
03-01-2015 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: I don't have the answer for this, but what are your thoughts?
(03-01-2015 06:18 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Assuming we had the money, which we don't, to finance a football program, would this help in basketball recruiting? I think, especially in the South, if you don't have a football program, you have a harder time recruiting for basketball. Obviously there are a few schools that do pretty well that don't field a football team, notably Belmont, UTA, and Oral Roberts, but would it help in Little Rock?04-cheers

I don't think it would matter one way or the other. In fact, I think it may help to tell recruits you are the big sport on campus.
03-01-2015 07:42 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
I don't see where it has helped ASU a lot. We've both been mediocre basketball programs for years.
03-01-2015 07:59 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-01-2015 07:59 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  I don't see where it has helped ASU a lot. We've both been mediocre basketball programs for years.

I guess you can look at schools who added football relatively recently. South Alabama's basketball has gotten worse; FIU's has not gotten any better. UTSA added football, and I haven't heard a thing about their basketball program in years. Midmajor football is a big drain on a budget. I think football wouldn't help basketball here, and would more likely hurt it.
03-01-2015 11:53 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-01-2015 11:53 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 07:59 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  I don't see where it has helped ASU a lot. We've both been mediocre basketball programs for years.

I guess you can look at schools who added football relatively recently. South Alabama's basketball has gotten worse; FIU's has not gotten any better. UTSA added football, and I haven't heard a thing about their basketball program in years. Midmajor football is a big drain on a budget. I think football wouldn't help basketball here, and would more likely hurt it.

I don't think you could get a better answer than that Doc. That pretty well said it all.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 12:59 PM by LRTrojan.)
03-02-2015 12:58 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Guess that answers my question.
03-02-2015 02:41 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2015 02:41 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Guess that answers my question.

Another point would be looking at the most successful midmajors, none of which have football- Wichita State, Butler, Gonzaga, and to a lesser degree Belmont. Other successful midmajors like Northern Iowa and Murray State do have football, but not of the DI-A variety or whatever it is called these days. I assume you were referring to DI-A football.
03-02-2015 03:51 PM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

We dont have money to buy out steve we dont have money for football.

Just saying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
03-02-2015 04:46 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe we could have a big garage sale. All Trojan fans pool their stuff, rent War Memorial Stadium, and raise a few million dollars. That might work.
03-02-2015 05:16 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2015 05:16 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Maybe we could have a big garage sale. All Trojan fans pool their stuff, rent War Memorial Stadium, and raise a few million dollars. That might work.

That's an idea. Don't believe you could come close to the millions it would take to start a football program, but might raise enough to pay off Shields.
03-02-2015 05:32 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

That would be a start.
03-02-2015 05:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.