Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA current negotiations on new TV contract
Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
CUSA has lost a lot of members to the AAC and picked up many new members from the Sunbelt. How will this influence the value of its current negotiations for a new TV contract and what will the final dollar amount be? What network will they sign with and how much exposure will they get in football and basketball in their new contract?
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 06:09 PM by Savacool.)
02-27-2015 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: CUSA current negotiations on new TV contract
Wrong board?
02-27-2015 06:26 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(02-27-2015 06:08 PM)Savacool Wrote:  CUSA has lost a lot of members to the AAC and picked up many new members from the Sunbelt. How will this influence the value of its current negotiations for a new TV contract and what will the final dollar amount be? What network will they sign with and how much exposure will they get in football and basketball in their new contract?

Considering who they added I doubt they get better than 80% of the pre-AAC raid contract value. That said, media rights have increased so who really knows. I doubt it passes the MAC or AAC current deals.
02-27-2015 06:46 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-27-2015 06:46 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 06:08 PM)Savacool Wrote:  CUSA has lost a lot of members to the AAC and picked up many new members from the Sunbelt. How will this influence the value of its current negotiations for a new TV contract and what will the final dollar amount be? What network will they sign with and how much exposure will they get in football and basketball in their new contract?

Considering who they added I doubt they get better than 80% of the pre-AAC raid contract value. That said, media rights have increased so who really knows.
I doubt it passes the MAC or AAC current deals.

When the Big East had a huge negative membership turnover in 2011-2012 and became the AAC, that was right smack in the middle of a media rights value boom, and yet the boom-factor was no match for the membership-loss factor, as our rights bid went from approximately $13 million per school/year (ESPN offer in April 2011) to $2 million per year in January 2013, what the AAC ended up signing for.

So I'd expect that if C-USA has taken a big negative change in membership, their new rights fees will be a lot less than their old contract.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 07:31 PM by quo vadis.)
02-27-2015 07:30 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(02-27-2015 07:30 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Considering who they added I doubt they get better than 80% of the pre-AAC raid contract value. That said, media rights have increased so who really knows.

When the Big East had a huge negative membership turnover in 2011-2012 and became the AAC, that was right smack in the middle of a media rights value boom, and yet the boom-factor was no match for the membership-loss factor, as our rights bid went from approximately $13 million per school/year (ESPN offer in April 2011) to $2 million per year in January 2013, what the AAC ended up signing for.

So I'd expect that if C-USA has taken a big negative change in membership, their new rights fees will be a lot less than their old contract.

If you are talking about the ACC raid of the BE.... that isn't necessarily comparable as the schools that left had much better media recognition in terms of tv value... What CUSA lost to the AAC isn't comparable to BE losing to the ACC. In the scope of the CUSA tv contract value--maybe. Besides, you also had the BE losing its "BCS" tack on for branding as well. Once that was gone, it was worth less.
02-27-2015 08:53 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Peanuts.
02-28-2015 01:27 AM
Advertisement

Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte

How will the fact the AAC was rated below CUSA play into these negation? I hope they don't drag us down to their level.
02-28-2015 01:55 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If like the AAC, CUSA had to negotiate 2 years ago, it would have been a dumpster fire. but they didn't. They had 2 years for the dust to settle. I expect they stay flat or up 10 to 20%.
02-28-2015 02:01 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(02-28-2015 01:55 AM)Rabonchild Wrote:  

How will the fact the AAC was rated below CUSA play into these negation? I hope they don't drag us down to their level.

SMH. I'm guessing you will make less per team then you get paid now. $750-$800K.
02-28-2015 02:38 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-27-2015 08:53 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 07:30 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

If you are talking about the ACC raid of the BE.... that isn't necessarily comparable as the schools that left had much better media recognition in terms of tv value... What CUSA lost to the AAC isn't comparable to BE losing to the ACC. In the scope of the CUSA tv contract value--maybe. Besides, you also had the BE losing its "BCS" tack on for branding as well. Once that was gone, it was worth less.

Not just the ACC raid, the loss of all the teams, to the ACC, B1G, and Big 12. But i agree with both of your points, which is why I don't expect C-USA's value to drop as radically as Big East/AAC value did. But it should drop a lot, if the AAC is any guide.
02-28-2015 04:22 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
CUSA will be fine. Same numbers or a 10-20% bump.

TV right values have gone up. CUSA added major markets.
02-28-2015 09:04 AM
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-28-2015 09:04 AM)SApuro Wrote:  CUSA will be fine. Same numbers or a 10-20% bump.

Your kidding. You lost Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Houston, Tulsa. That contract was done with AAC schools who have more brand recognition and actually own their markets for the most part.

You guys should go for visibility on a actual station. It pays off long term.
02-28-2015 10:07 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-28-2015 10:07 AM)tnzazz Wrote:  
(02-28-2015 09:04 AM)SApuro Wrote:  CUSA will be fine. Same numbers or a 10-20% bump.

Your kidding. You lost Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Houston, Tulsa. That contract was done with AAC schools who have more brand recognition and actually own their markets for the most part.

Yes, he's making the same mistake AAC homers made when the Big East was raided and transitioned to the AAC with vastly new membership. They talked about all the "big markets" that had been added and predicted a big media deal, failing to realize that unless you are the B1G and have a subscription-based cable TV network, it's the brand-value of the school that matters, not the market.

E.g., FSU is in Tallahassee, a very small market, but they are big national brand name and hence valuable, whereas Temple football is a tiny brand name with far less value despite being in massive Philadelphia.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 10:26 AM by quo vadis.)
02-28-2015 10:25 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas

Lets be honest. We all play in G5 conferences. Any team in a major market that truly own their market, would have been grabbed by a P5.

New Orleans is LSU's.
Houston is split between Texas and Texas A&M.
Tulsa belongs to Oklahoma.

I believe Memphis belongs to Memphis, but that is mostly because of the historic success of the basketball program.

I have no clue about Orlando, so they could own their market.

C-USA didn't lose representation in Houston. Rice is still a member. Although we lost three prized markets (Memphis, Orlando, & New Orleans), we also added a few great markets in San Antonio, Charlotte, Norfolk, and Miami. How will that translate into our new contract? Who knows.

The value of media rights have gone up, and C-USA enjoys the luxury of being the only FBS conference negotiating their contract right now. I don't believe our next contract will go down, but I'm not certain it will increase very much either. I think that all depends on what NBC Sports plan to do with their cable channel I never have a reason to watch, and if Fox Sports decides to put real sports content on Fox Sports 2.

If we can maintain our current visibility in football and improve our coverage for basketball and other sports, I would be fine with that.
02-28-2015 10:52 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-28-2015 10:52 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

Lets be honest. We all play in G5 conferences. Any team in a major market that truly own their market, would have been grabbed by a P5.

Wow, good catch, as I missed his claim that AAC schools "own" their markets. Let's see:

Memphis? In football that's SEC country not Memphis country.

New Orleans? LSU is far bigger than Tulane.

Tampa? Sadly, there are more Florida and FSU fans in the bay area than USF fans.

Orlando? More Gators fans than UCF fans.

Houston? TAMU and UT control that market.

Philly? Temple football barely registers a blip.

UConn? They own Storrs, but if we're talking the greater NYC area, barely a blip.

Cincy? They own a few blocks around their campus. The rest is Buckeyes territory.

Verdict: AAC schools tend to be in big markets, but don't come close to owning them, at least not in football.
02-28-2015 11:01 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(02-28-2015 11:01 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Wow, good catch, as I missed his claim that AAC schools "own" their markets. Let's see:

Tampa? Sadly, there are more Florida and FSU fans in the bay area than USF fans.

UConn? They own Storrs, but if we're talking the greater NYC area, barely a blip.

Cincy? They own a few blocks around their campus. The rest is Buckeyes territory.

Verdict: AAC schools tend to be in big markets, but don't come close to owning them, at least not in football.

Uhhh...Just like any other single flagship state university, UCONN athletics own the state of Connecticut, which is a bigger market than any G5 city school. Even if we completely ignore the NYC DMA (which 1 million Connecticut residents are a part of), UCONN still dominates the #30 Hartford/New Haven market.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 11:13 AM by HuskyU.)
02-28-2015 11:08 AM
Advertisement

mike012779 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
LOL I was going to say the same thing. I live nowhere near storrs and I go to Uconn games. I think Uconn own CT which last I heard has a decent population. PSST let me tell you a secret there are no major sports teams in CT so Uconn is it. Even the hockey team drew over 6K for that game last night against Umass. I was there it was a solid crowd.
02-28-2015 11:12 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

Then you missed "for the most part" and Memphis absolutely owns most of West TN and Northern Miss. That's for all sports.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 11:12 AM by tnzazz.)
02-28-2015 11:12 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(02-28-2015 11:12 AM)tnzazz Wrote:  

Then you missed "for the most part" and Memphis absolutely owns most of West TN and Northern Miss. That's for all sports.

I still don't know if the "for the most part" statement is true. Certainly the AAC has a few members that own their markets, but "for the most part" I don't believe most AAC programs own their market. Just like for the most part, few G5 programs own their market. Where G5 programs do own their market, most don't seem to have a very large market.

Memphis is an exception, but their dominance is a product of an elite basketball history, not really anything the football program has done.
02-28-2015 11:27 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-28-2015 11:08 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Uhhh...Just like any other single flagship state university, UCONN athletics own the state of Connecticut, which is a bigger market than any G5 city school. Even if we completely ignore the NYC DMA (which 1 million Connecticut residents are a part of), UCONN still dominates the #30 Hartford/New Haven market.

"Just like any other flagship"?

You mean like say Ohio State averaging 105k fans a game?

UConn averaged 27K home attendance last year. I'm sure that "dominated" the Connecticut market for college football, but that only means UConn was the tallest midget in a midget college football market. Their football doesn't own anything worth owning.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 12:18 PM by quo vadis.)
02-28-2015 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.