UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We Can't Quit Now!
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
We Can't Quit Now!
Lately I have seen a number of posts which contain what I can only describe as defeatist attitudes. I guess that is to some extent natural given that we just learned that SACS completely ignored what can only be described as violations of their basic principles of shared governess and integrity. But we can't just hang our heads and give up.

Okay, Watts didn't resign as soon as the no confidence votes came in. Did you really expect him to quit? Instead of firing Watts, the BOT doubled down and issued statements of support. Did you really expect anything different from them? I agree that SACS report was very disappointing, but I had been warned by someone knowledgeable about how SACS operates to expect nothing more from them. Unfortunately that individual was right.

So what are we going to do now? Quit? Just give up? Roll up in a fetal ball and let the BOT and their puppet do whatever they please with UAB?

HELL NO! We have already caused the local media to be filled with countless articles supportive of our cause. We have made this into a national story. We have forced Watts and the BOT into publicly backing down and at least open the question as whether the banded sports should be brought back, regardless of what Watts ultimately does with the recommendation of the Carr committee. We have irreparably damaged Watts, his henchmen, and the BOT, and we have scared the hell out of them. We have have helped to expose their expensive PR campaign and helped lay their disingenuous plan out for all to see.

In short, while we have not yet achieved our objectives, we have been able to accomplished more than anyone, including ourselves, ever thought possible. We can't afford to be overcome by these negative vibes about how it can't be done. We are not quitters and we damn sure not going to quit now!

This is like a heavyweight championship fight. It the twelfth round and we have hit our opponent with some good shots. We have had his knees wobbly more than once. He has shown some good defensive skills, but he hasn't countered with anything solid. But he is the champion and if we don't put him down for the count in the next round, he may yet survive the fight with the title still in hand. The next round is in Montgomery; we can't even think of quitting now.

I believe in Jack Williams. I believe him when he says we have a chance in Montgomery. I am one of almost 200 people who have agreed to help him. We are going bring the fight to the state legislature and we are not going to be easily defeated. Now you the rest of you can join us in that fight and do whatever you can to help given your individual circumstances or you can sit on your butts on the sideline and say it can't be done; it's your choice. But, to quote, 58-56 - WE FIGHT.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 02:16 PM by CajunBlazer.)
02-27-2015 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
RE: We Can't Quit Now!
Agreed. This "war" as they want to call it is not over. I still believe that we have the power to create some change through political channels.
02-27-2015 02:14 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Push on and Drive Forward!!!
02-27-2015 02:49 PM
EnviroBlazerD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB, Alabama
(02-27-2015 02:12 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  Lately I have seen a number of posts which contain what I can only describe as defeatist attitudes. I guess that is to some extent natural given that we just learned that SACS completely ignored what can only be described as violations of their basic principles of shared governess and integrity. But we can't just hang our heads and give up.

Okay, Watts didn't resign as soon as the no confidence votes came in. Did you really expect him to quit? Instead of firing Watts, the BOT doubled down and issued statements of support. Did you really expect anything different from them? I agree that SACS report was very disappointing, but I had been warned by someone knowledgeable about how SACS operates to expect nothing more from them. Unfortunately that individual was right.

So what are we going to do now? Quit? Just give up? Roll up in a fetal ball and let the BOT and their puppet do whatever they please with UAB?

HELL NO! We have already caused the local media to be filled with countless articles supportive of our cause. We have made this into a national story. We have forced Watts and the BOT into publicly backing down and at least open the question as whether the banded sports should be brought back, regardless of what Watts ultimately does with the recommendation of the Carr committee. We have irreparably damaged Watts, his henchmen, and the BOT, and we have scared the hell out of them. We have have helped to expose their expensive PR campaign and helped lay their disingenuous plan out for all to see.

In short, while we have not yet achieved our objectives, we have been able to accomplished more than anyone, including ourselves, ever thought possible. We can't afford to be overcome by these negative vibes about how it can't be done. We are not quitters and we damn sure not going to quit now!

This is like a heavyweight championship fight. It the twelfth round and we have hit our opponent with some good shots. We have had his knees wobbly more than once. He has shown some good defensive skills, but he hasn't countered with anything solid. But he is the champion and if we don't put him down for the count in the next round, he may yet survive the fight with the title still in hand. The next round is in Montgomery; we can't even think of quitting now.

I believe in Jack Williams. I believe him when he says we have a chance in Montgomery. I am one of almost 200 people who have agreed to help him. We are going bring the fight to the state legislature and we are not going to be easily defeated. Now you the rest of you can join us in that fight and do whatever you can to help given your individual circumstances or you can sit on your butts on the sideline and say it can't be done; it's your choice. But, to quote, 58-56 - WE FIGHT.

Thank you so much for summing up our achievements! The other side may have won some battles, but we are too! 03-nutkick04-cheers
02-27-2015 03:00 PM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
I will expand on this later, but for now:

Yes, some who placed their hopes in the Athletic Task Force are disheartened to see hard evidence that it was a sham, just a minor pawn unworthy of even separate mention in Clay Ryan's memo. Their dismay will turn to fiery rage as that reality sinks in. We will provide many outlets to help them address their feelings.

And yes, some are dismayed that SACS did not unleash metaphorical nuclear destruction on our campus. Keep this in mind: Linda Lucas feels it a great accomplishment that SACS did not strip UAB of accreditation, something over which it is worth taunting #FreeUAB. Think on that: She is crowing about simply doing her damned job. It is such a rare occassion to find herself simply doing her damned job that she feels it worth strutting, preening and taunting. And this is the supposedly competent half of the Watts-Lucas duo.

We will never forget; we will never forgive. We fight.
02-27-2015 03:23 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I wouldn't count the task force out just yet...
02-27-2015 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rook360 Offline
All American

(02-27-2015 04:36 PM)ICB Wrote:  I wouldn't count the task force out just yet...

To be honest, I can't say I counted them in yet. All it has been is face work so far. There may be a few members who are taking it seriously, but it appears to be hampered from without and within. CLAY RYAN
02-27-2015 04:54 PM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(02-27-2015 04:36 PM)ICB Wrote:  I wouldn't count the task force out just yet...

Wes Smith is our very own Neville Chamberlain.
02-27-2015 05:23 PM
Agent Orange Sauce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB Rifle
What do pro-UAB football people on the Task Force think of Clay Ryan?
02-27-2015 07:24 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
I haven't quit.
02-27-2015 07:52 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

If you are disappointed in the SACS outcome your hopes were desperately too high to begin with.
02-27-2015 07:54 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(02-27-2015 07:54 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  If you are disappointed in the SACS outcome your hopes were desperately too high to begin with.

SACS would probably have had to have Bryant, Espy, St John &/or Witt admitting to them that they had interfered with UAB functions and ordered the end of UAB football by Dr Watts for them to "see any evil".

Now we wait to see if we can get any relief from Montgomery through BOT reorganization. We will know something soon or at least by May. C-USA may be waiting to see what happens as well since this school year ends June 30, 2015. .
02-28-2015 12:36 AM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(02-27-2015 07:54 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  If you are disappointed in the SACS outcome your hopes were desperately too high to begin with.

Yep. You said this time and again, but nobody wanted to listen to you.

IF the task force doesn't come back with very different numbers than the Carr report, then I will start to lose hope.
02-28-2015 09:07 AM
Advertisement

CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(02-28-2015 09:07 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Yep. You said this time and again, but nobody wanted to listen to you.

IF the task force doesn't come back with very different numbers than the Carr report, then I will start to lose hope.

I don't think you have worry about that; even an average 6th grader could find a lot of numbers which need to be corrected in the Carr report. One thing concerns me - how are they going to gauge the dollar level of booster support which should be added to the mix if the folks from the Champions Club, Blazer Club, and the rest of us are allow to contribute to make up any deficiency? (Of course Watts should have given us that opportunity before he cut the program, but that probably would have messed up his plans.)

If any one familiar with the Carr committee can explain that I would be most grateful.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 08:03 PM by CajunBlazer.)
02-28-2015 08:01 PM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
I'm just getting started. #FreeUAB
02-28-2015 09:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.