Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

STR - Is Rick Barnes done?
Bookmark and Share
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB STR - Is Rick Barnes done?
The latest bracketology has Texas falling out of the field. Texas was a top 15 team to start the year and yet again, will fall short of expectations. When you think of all the elite talent Barnes had had - no Final 4s - makes you wonder if the natives are getting restless.

That job opening up would not be good for us, should we decide to move on from CJP. Right?
02-27-2015 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bigbob Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: STR - Is Rick Barnes done?
(02-27-2015 01:48 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  The latest bracketology has Texas falling out of the field. Texas was a top 15 team to start the year and yet again, will fall short of expectations. When you think of all the elite talent Barnes had had - no Final 4s - makes you wonder if the natives are getting restless.

That job opening up would not be good for us, should we decide to move on from CJP. Right?

The Tigers coach next year will be Josh Pastner.

You folks are wasting breath
02-27-2015 01:55 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2015 01:55 PM)bigbob Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 01:48 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  The latest bracketology has Texas falling out of the field. Texas was a top 15 team to start the year and yet again, will fall short of expectations. When you think of all the elite talent Barnes had had - no Final 4s - makes you wonder if the natives are getting restless.

The post is likely in reference to Texas possibly offering JP a job...

Two ideas about that;

A.) There is noway they go after Pastner with a track record of having ranked teams finish the season unranked. That is what is likely getting Barnes fired.

B.) IF Texas offered Pastner there job I am willing to bet there is a 99% he would take it. Gets the heat off of him here, extends his coaching shelf life a few years for sure and moves him back to his home state.
02-27-2015 01:58 PM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

I think he meant it as it is 1 more job open besides ours (potentially).
02-27-2015 02:01 PM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2015 01:58 PM)Tygrys Wrote:  

Two ideas about that;

A.) There is noway they go after Pastner with a track record of having ranked teams finish the season unranked. That is what is likely getting Barnes fired.

B.) IF Texas offered Pastner there job I am willing to bet there is a 99% he would take it. Gets the heat off of him here, extends his coaching shelf life a few years for sure and moves him back to his home state.

No, I'm pretty sure the post is in reference to the fact that it's not good to be looking for a coach when the job at Texas is open. Anyone that had a choice would much prefer coaching at Texas. That gives us leftovers.
02-27-2015 02:01 PM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

To answer the question: yes, Rick Barnes could be in trouble. The saving grace, however, may be the fact that basically the entire Texas athletic program is funded by football and the LHN. I don't know any Texas fans or alums, but it could be possible that they just don't give a crap.
02-27-2015 02:02 PM
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

He's been rumored to be on the proverbial hot seat every year, but never seems to be let go.
02-27-2015 02:04 PM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

We just hire Donnie Tyndall then
02-27-2015 02:07 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2015 02:01 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 01:58 PM)Tygrys Wrote:  

Two ideas about that;

No, I'm pretty sure the post is in reference to the fact that it's not good to be looking for a coach when the job at Texas is open. Anyone that had a choice would much prefer coaching at Texas. That gives us leftovers.

This is what I meant ^

If the Texas job opens up & Gregg Marshall is looking around (as rumored here) I would think he would take the TX job before the Memphis job.

If we land a "wow" hire, I think we'll need a lot of luck. JMO.

I do agree that CJP will be here again...
02-27-2015 02:15 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
I'm afraid they will hire Marshall
02-27-2015 02:17 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

Vanderbilt job might be open too.

Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings apologizes for telling player 'I'll kill you'
02-27-2015 02:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2015 02:23 PM)mairving Wrote:  

I actually think that would be a very good fit for Josh. But I don't think they'll fire Stalling for this - it'll blow over. The could fire him for on the court performance though...
02-27-2015 02:28 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(02-27-2015 02:28 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  

I actually think that would be a very good fit for Josh. But I don't think they'll fire Stalling for this - it'll blow over. The could fire him for on the court performance though...

It's all related. When your team isn't playing well you shouldn't give them another excuse to fire you.
02-27-2015 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-27-2015 02:28 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  

Stallings would be successful here...Just don't like his style...But he would win
02-27-2015 03:28 PM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
The Vandy job doesn't scare me. The Texas job does.

Alas, CJP is, in all likelihood, going to be our coach next year. He is basically guaranteed a winning season (I know, I know) this season. CJP has just enough to keep his job this year. For the love of Tiger BB, PLEASE let us get to the Sweet 16 next year! If not, please for the love of Tiger BB, let CJP go.
02-27-2015 03:33 PM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

if pastner is kept one more year, the school should just pull the plug. one more year of pastner will be absolutely devastating to the program.
02-27-2015 03:41 PM
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Talked to some Texas friends in the media in Austin last week. Barnes is done unless they do something "unexpected"(BXII Tourney title, run in the NCAAs, etc). They have the talent to do that so its not out of the question.
02-27-2015 05:45 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Rumored that Marshall will be leaving Wichita, so we don't need the bigger jobs opening up
02-27-2015 06:06 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Re: RE: STR - Is Rick Barnes done?
(02-27-2015 03:41 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  if pastner is kept one more year, the school should just pull the plug. one more year of pastner will be absolutely devastating to the program.

Hyperbole
02-27-2015 06:07 PM
Seller545 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis!
Perfect chance for Josh to get back closer to home and start over with a clean slate. Barnes has been on the hot seat and they have 2 lottery picks and borderline 1st/2nd player this year and havent performed very well. I too think Barnes is out without a big run. Pastner could go where he was more appreciated/wanted with lower expectation and Memphis could also start over with a clean slate Win Win for both sides
02-27-2015 06:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.