UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

#NBABHM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB #NBABHM
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 09:58 PM by WesternBlazer.)
02-24-2015 09:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

RE: #NBABHM
Just what we need, pro basketball competition in Birmingham.
02-24-2015 10:22 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It would actually increase interest in basketball in general, which would benefit UAB basketball. It would be a great thing for UAB and the city. Over the years as the Grizzlies have become one of the top NBA teams, I am probably a bigger NBA fan now than I am college basketball. The only college games I watch now are UAB games, where I will just about watch any NBA team play.

The D-League is growing in popularity as more NBA teams use it to develop their rookies. Birmingham would do well to jump on board. I don't know if it would be legal, but Bartow Arena would make a great D-League arena.
02-24-2015 10:28 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

Unlike Memphis, there are comparatively few basketball people in Birmingham. Many UAB season ticket owners are not originally from this area; Alabama is simply not a basketball state and Birmingham is not a basketball town. You can't really generate increased interest in people who have no interest in a sport in the first place.

It's not like UAB games currently draw a lot of people unless the Blazers are playing some big name team like NC. When you take into consideration that many folks have limited dollars for recreational activities such as attending basketball games and then add to that the limited number of true basketball fans in the area, if a D-League franchise could draw enough fans to survive; there would be no way they wouldn't hurt UAB attendance. But I am not worried, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to put a D-League team in Birmingham, and if they did, I don't think it would survive very long.

Now one thing that Birmingham people do like is seeing the best of the best in any sport. If ever an owner established an NBA team to Birmingham, Blazer basketball would die on the vine. But I'm not worried about that either, owners aren't stupid.
02-24-2015 11:09 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Right now, the last thing on UAB's list of concerns is a POSSIBLE NBA affiliated team. Higher on our list are the ways losing the football program is going to affect the conference membership and through that, the future level of all other UAB sports programs. The annual meeting of the Alabama legislature dealing with Jeffco member's bills begins early next month.

Under "normal circumstances", any pro sport team will probably help generate increased interest among local sports fans for all levels of local teams.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 11:34 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
02-24-2015 11:09 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-24-2015 11:09 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  Unlike Memphis, there are comparatively few basketball people in Birmingham. Many UAB season ticket owners are not originally from this area; Alabama is simply not a basketball state and Birmingham is not a basketball town. You can't really generate increased interest in people who have no interest in a sport in the first place.

It's not like UAB games currently draw a lot of people unless the Blazers are playing some big name team like NC. When you take into consideration that many folks have limited dollars for recreational activities such as attending basketball games and then add to that the limited number of true basketball fans in the area, if a D-League franchise could draw enough fans to survive; there would be no way they wouldn't hurt UAB attendance. But I am not worried, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to put a D-League team in Birmingham, and if they did, I don't think it would survive very long.

Now one thing that Birmingham people do like is seeing the best of the best in any sport. If ever an owner established an NBA team to Birmingham, Blazer basketball would die on the vine. But I'm not worried about that either, owners aren't stupid.

It's your kind of thinking, resistance to something new that keeps Birmingham from progressing.
02-24-2015 11:12 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The CBA team here didn't draw flies and they even had Alabama players on them.
02-24-2015 11:13 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-24-2015 11:13 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The CBA team here didn't draw flies and they even had Alabama players on them.

There is a hellava big difference between the CBA and the DLeague.

And attendance isn't a huge deal in the DLeague. They are supported by the NBA, not butts in the seat. They exist for development, not filling seats.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 11:15 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
02-24-2015 11:14 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
What are the demographics of fans of existing southeastern NBA (or NFL, MLB or NHL) affiliated teams? How many of those fans actually live within the team's home city? I would suppose a team in B'ham would be likely to fit that same demographic model. For that matter, look how many pro teams don't play their home games within their home city (the Braves are joining the exodus now).
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 11:34 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
02-24-2015 11:32 PM
Advertisement

Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

(02-24-2015 10:28 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  It would actually increase interest in basketball in general, which would benefit UAB basketball. It would be a great thing for UAB and the city. Over the years as the Grizzlies have become one of the top NBA teams, I am probably a bigger NBA fan now than I am college basketball. The only college games I watch now are UAB games, where I will just about watch any NBA team play.

The D-League is growing in popularity as more NBA teams use it to develop their rookies. Birmingham would do well to jump on board. I don't know if it would be legal, but Bartow Arena would make a great D-League arena.

I feel the same way.

I firmly believe any progressive action taken to secure teams is in the best interest in the city, and I believe it'd help drive interest in the sport before anything else.

It's all about baby steps, though.
02-24-2015 11:45 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

Those Bham Barons sure are struggling... you know the AA baseball team downtown
02-24-2015 11:54 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-24-2015 11:09 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  Unlike Memphis, there are comparatively few basketball people in Birmingham. Many UAB season ticket owners are not originally from this area; Alabama is simply not a basketball state and Birmingham is not a basketball town. You can't really generate increased interest in people who have no interest in a sport in the first place.

This sounds similar to SEC football fans explaining why UAB shouldn't have football... to sum it up: not enough interest, better choices, not enough non-SEC fans to matter.
02-25-2015 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Typical Birmingham bandwaggoning off of Atlanta.

Nobody in Birmingham gave a crap about the Braves when they were losing, same deal with the Falcons, & the Hawks.
02-25-2015 12:33 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Doesn't have to be at Atlanta.
02-25-2015 12:39 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA
The more interest in basketball, the better for UAB. The glory days of UAB basketball were also the glory days of UA and AU basketball. No coincidence.
02-25-2015 08:40 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I'd be all for getting a D-League team.
02-25-2015 01:02 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

I'd love to see a D-League team in Birmingham again (or am I misremembering?).

Unless a billionaire with Alabama ties buys into a franchise, we're not going to get a full-fledged NBA team for a while, but I think it would be rather fitting if we stole Charlotte's NBA team, but that's never going to happen until MJ grows bored with being an owner. Plus, Seattle would be the first city on the list for expansion, and after Seattle, there's probably two handfuls of cities before Birmingham.
02-25-2015 02:56 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
i don't watch the NBA at all...dont follow it, don't keep up with it. But i do go watch several d-league games each year, just because they're a few minutes away, not very expensive and pretty fun to attend

if i lived in bham, id feel the same way
02-25-2015 03:01 PM
TPBlaze84 Offline
1st String

The NBA has become my favorite pro sports option in recent years, the climate around it is enjoyable with excellent media promotion of it and plenty of entertaining personalities to watch. A lot of people don't like the constant trades but I think it makes it way more entertaining to have teams constantly creating new line ups.
02-25-2015 03:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.