Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So glad she isn't our AD
Bookmark and Share
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
So glad she isn't our AD
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/inde..._mens.html
Rutgers and Julie Hermann have surrendered on fixing the men's basketball program

PISCATAWAY — It was another Big Ten game and another double-digit blowout, this time an 84-54 drubbing by the visiting Indiana Hoosiers, but the remarkable part? This wasn't close to the most depressing moment of the month for the most loyal Rutgers basketball fans who suffered through it.

That happened not at the RAC, but down the road at the visitors' center six days earlier. That wasn't a game, but a Court Club meeting where the message from Julie Hermann, as summarized by one person in the room when the athletic director address a hundred or so diehards, was essentially this:

"You can forget about having any hope for your program for the next decade."........

There was no vision offered, let alone blueprints, and Hermann made it clear none was coming any time soon. Rutgers won't get its full piece of the Big Ten revenue pie for another five years, and even when it does, Hermann made it clear that there are priorities more important than fixing the outrageously outdated basketball facilities. It could be 10 years before those are finally addressed. Ten years!

02-24-2015 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
RE: So glad she isn't our AD
In all fairness Football is the money driver

02-24-2015 11:21 AM
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(02-24-2015 11:13 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/inde..._mens.html
Rutgers and Julie Hermann have surrendered on fixing the men's basketball program

PISCATAWAY — It was another Big Ten game and another double-digit blowout, this time an 84-54 drubbing by the visiting Indiana Hoosiers, but the remarkable part? This wasn't close to the most depressing moment of the month for the most loyal Rutgers basketball fans who suffered through it.

That happened not at the RAC, but down the road at the visitors' center six days earlier. That wasn't a game, but a Court Club meeting where the message from Julie Hermann, as summarized by one person in the room when the athletic director address a hundred or so diehards, was essentially this:

"You can forget about having any hope for your program for the next decade."........

There was no vision offered, let alone blueprints, and Hermann made it clear none was coming any time soon. Rutgers won't get its full piece of the Big Ten revenue pie for another five years, and even when it does, Hermann made it clear that there are priorities more important than fixing the outrageously outdated basketball facilities. It could be 10 years before those are finally addressed. Ten years!

I doubt either party cares. B1G got NYC area TV's. Rotgers is getting more than the old BE $ for now and in 5 years gets way more.

Does Rotgers care about being the B1G doormat. I doubt it as they were most often the BE doormat. Same position, different league, more $$$.

02-24-2015 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
The thing is, the Big Ten already had a strong foothold in NYC with Michigan and Penn State. Rutgers just solidified their presence while adding some pretty good academics. Each of those teams account for about 10-15% of the fan base in the NYC market. As to the entire state, I think a recent study put Rutgers at 25% of the college football fan base. Obviously a lot less important in basketball, as most people may not even know (or want to know) of Rutgers' existence. 03-nerner

02-24-2015 11:32 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-24-2015 11:32 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  The thing is, the Big Ten already had a strong foothold in NYC with Michigan and Penn State. Rutgers just solidified their presence while adding some pretty good academics. Each of those teams account for about 10-15% of the fan base in the NYC market. As to the entire state, I think a recent study put Rutgers at 25% of the college football fan base. Obviously a lot less important in basketball, as most people may not even know (or want to know) of Rutgers' existence. 03-nerner

Correct me if I am wrong, but the BTN was not on the basic tier of cable in NY/NJ until they added Rutgers. This allowed the BTN to start collecting carriage fee for every person who had basiic cable in that market. The Big Ten is making money hand over fist with the inclusion of Rutgers-- especially since Rutgers won't get their full share of revenue for five years.

02-24-2015 11:39 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I don't follow Rutgers even in the slightest nor do I care too.

But I did laugh at the crack reporting done by NJ.com where they quoted an anonymous person's "summary" of "essentially" what she said.

02-24-2015 11:40 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
That is awesome! I think they sourced this from a poster on Rutgers' Scout or Rivals site.

02-24-2015 11:46 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-24-2015 11:21 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  In all fairness Football is the money driver

It is although basketball is big in the North East also.

02-24-2015 11:58 AM
Beelzebubba Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-24-2015 11:58 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 11:21 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  In all fairness Football is the money driver

Not as big as you think. It was at one time and still is at March, but it's no where near what it is in Cincinnati.

02-24-2015 12:30 PM
Advertisement

njbearcat13 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-24-2015 11:39 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 11:32 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  The thing is, the Big Ten already had a strong foothold in NYC with Michigan and Penn State. Rutgers just solidified their presence while adding some pretty good academics. Each of those teams account for about 10-15% of the fan base in the NYC market. As to the entire state, I think a recent study put Rutgers at 25% of the college football fan base. Obviously a lot less important in basketball, as most people may not even know (or want to know) of Rutgers' existence. 03-nerner

Correct me if I am wrong, but the BTN was not on the basic tier of cable in NY/NJ until they added Rutgers. This allowed the BTN to start collecting carriage fee for every person who had basiic cable in that market. The Big Ten is making money hand over fist with the inclusion of Rutgers-- especially since Rutgers won't get their full share of revenue for five years.

I cant speak for all of NY/NJ but with my cable company the btn is bundled with the sports package that includes NFL network and the extra espns.

02-24-2015 12:46 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-24-2015 12:30 PM)Beelzebubba Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 11:58 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Not as big as you think. It was at one time and still is at March, but it's no where near what it is in Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is one town, not a region. Cuse draws the largest attendance in the Country, UConn is on an island now, despite the multiple national championships they have won.
They should be in the ACC. The Johnnies have not been consistently better than good for a long time, when they are they are popular. Rutgers has 2 NCAA appearances since the 70's, that hurts. If they were good it would be a big deal. They have sellouts this year even though their team is pretty bad.

Philly is fractured with all of the programs their, so hard for the city to get behind 1 team.

02-24-2015 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.