Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Needing your help
Bookmark and Share
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Needing your help
My daughter is in the 8th grade and is selected to attend HS at UNC-Charlotte next year. The official name of the HS is Charlotte Engineering Early College, located on the campus of UNCC and very close to the football stadium. This will be the second year of the program which is fully funded by the Charlotte/Mecklenburg School system.

They are admitting 100 students per class. Last year was the first year having only 9th grade students. 2015 - 2016 school year will have the 9th and 10th grades. The school will continue to grow until it reaches its maximum 500 student with 100 per grade. I wrote that correct, 500 students comprising of 5 grades.

The reason for five years, is that the students must accept that their HS career will last for 5 years, rather than grades 9 - 12, it will be 9th grade through 13. Here's the kicker, upon graduation the students will have 60 college credit hours all completely paid for by Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. This a STEM program with the backing of several local businesses, including AREVA, Duke Energy, Siemens, and Westinghouse.

In the 12th grade and year 13 they will be completely intermingled with the normal college students, but without the benefits of things like free tickets to games, due to their not paying any athletic fees. If they want to participate in HS athletics, they must go back to their assigned home school to practice and play. Which in some cases, could be impossible due to these kids coming from all over the county. There will simply not be enough time to get to their home school in time for practice.

Clearly, these students will not be living a normal high school student's life and this is where we are having some difficulty. I believe its an opportunity of a lifetime that will pay immeasurable dividends over the course of my daughter's life. Certainly, I want my daughter to experience going to a prom, Friday night football, maybe participate in some athletics, and she loves to have a small roll in a play put on by the drama club of her middle school. This will all become nearly impossible for her to experience. Though, they did say they would try to have some sort of prom, but with only 100 in a senior class, well, I think you see the picture.

The one thing I did not point out is that she excels in math and science. She's only a little above average in Language Arts, though still makes nothing but A's even in her weaker classes. One final thing, and I know she is only 13, but she has been saying that she wants to become a commercial pilot. We all know this idea can change overnight.

As I stated, I believe the benefits will outweigh the shortcomings of this program, but my wife leans in the other direction by not wanting her to miss out on the things a normal HS kid enjoys. I'd like some input from those who care to give it a little thought. Oh yea, did I say the campus is only three miles from our home, much closer than her assigned high school for our neighborhood.

Thanks!
02-23-2015 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
RE: Needing your help
Plenty of parents home school their kids and have pretty good results. Hell, Tebow was home schooled and did just fine athletically and socially. I wouldnt worry about her missing out on things like the prom unless she's worried about those things.

Graduating with 60 credits is great, but where will they be accepted? Universally, or just at UNC Charlotte?

most importantly, will she be attending JMU in either scenario???
02-23-2015 03:33 PM
JMU Offline
All American

I woud advise to stay in HS and load up on all the AP and Honors courses she can possibly take. Life is too short to miss out on the HS stuff - she'll be in college soon enough. Plus, with a strong transcript (course and grades) she will have her pick of colleges to attend with scholarship opportunities aplenty based on GPA and SAT scores. Who knows you may be raising a future Tar Heel!
02-23-2015 03:42 PM
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

I would hesitate on the program only because it is so new. You don't know if program graduates are only accepted to schools like UNCC or if they could get to Ivy League caliber schools.Colleges/universities might not know just how good her education or school's accreditation status is compared to other NC schools. I would hate for your daughter to miss out on a chance to go to a school like UNC because admissions offices weren't able to assess the quality of her HS education that this program offers.
02-23-2015 03:44 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2015 03:33 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Plenty of parents home school their kids and have pretty good results. Hell, Tebow was home schooled and did just fine athletically and socially. I wouldnt worry about her missing out on things like the prom unless she's worried about those things.

Graduating with 60 credits is great, but where will they be accepted? Universally, or just at UNC Charlotte?

most importantly, will she be attending JMU in either scenario???

I have little fear of these classes transferring. Though, certainly a good question, but any NC public school including Chapel Hill will have no issues, but there is a definite emphasis on Engineering even in Language Arts. It would be a different story past those first 60 credits.

I transferred to JMU from a CC and there was nothing they didn't take, though a few had to be used as electives. Frankly, with the monetary savings, I will be cool if she wants to go three years after she gets done with this program. When I let it sink in that this is most likely a $40K value, its not too hard to think about going out of state to finish up.
02-23-2015 03:44 PM
lingerba Offline
Special Teams

With you living close to campus it seems like she would still be able to participate in sports if she would want to which would help with the social aspect. Also, if she maintains her current friendships, that could lead to her being invited to prom with someone going to the regular high school. I guess it could all work out, but at the same time it might not. I can see your dilemma.

As far as the commercial pilot part goes; one of my best friends (and JMU grad) is a commercial pilot flying regional jets. He gets a lot of cool benefits such as being able to fly anywhere for free. But he also complains a lot about how the company treats people and his schedule is always crazy. I don't think it is near as glamorous as your daughter may believe it to be.
02-23-2015 04:04 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2015 04:04 PM)lingerba Wrote:  With you living close to campus it seems like she would still be able to participate in sports if she would want to which would help with the social aspect. Also, if she maintains her current friendships, that could lead to her being invited to prom with someone going to the regular high school. I guess it could all work out, but at the same time it might not. I can see your dilemma.

As far as the commercial pilot part goes; one of my best friends (and JMU grad) is a commercial pilot flying regional jets. He gets a lot of cool benefits such as being able to fly anywhere for free. But he also complains a lot about how the company treats people and his schedule is always crazy. I don't think it is near as glamorous as your daughter may believe it to be.

That's funny you went in the direction of the pilot. My wife was a flight attendant up until we had my daughter, 19 years with Piedmont then US Airways, and we get those same flying privileges until her death as she took an early retirement after 9/11. After flying as much as my daughter has, she has started talking about flying for someone like FedEx or UPS instead of an airline.

I have a close friend who flies for FedEx and he has given her this huge set of templates of the layout of the cockpit on the aircraft he flies. Its still a little comical to hear such a young person speak with the conviction she does. Of course, I always follow it up with, "she may need to go into the Air Force for a few years to get seat time on the taxpayer's nickle." The friend I spoke of, flew F-15's for six years and said that was enough, before he went to work for FedEx. So, of course, my daughter hangs on every word he speaks.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 04:21 PM by BleedingPurple.)
02-23-2015 04:20 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Needing your help
100 per class is plenty enough for a senior prom. It would be weird to go to prom with people you didn't go to school with. My HS had 300 total students. It never occurred to anyone that prom wouldn't happen. Just much smaller scale than the mega-schools.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2015 09:59 AM by HyperDuke.)
02-23-2015 04:29 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2015 04:29 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  100 per class is plenty enough for a senior prom. It would be weird to go to prom where you didn't go to school with people you didn't go to school with. My HS had 300 total students. It never occurred to anyone that prom wouldn't happen. Just much smaller scale than the mega-schools.

They'd probably just have to all go in a big bunch rather than pairing up. Last year the class was 60 M - 40 F. Actually, all they would have to do is make it for the 12th and 13th grade, then you'd have a couple hundred who could go.

Though, when we visited last month, the kids were really on the nerdy side anyway and probably the only dance step they know is "The Carlton". Yep, my daughter will fit right in. I hope she doesn't read this message board.

As far as sports, I did ask about club sports at UNCC and whether these kids could participate in those, especially once they were intermingling with the other college students. They were going to look into it and it seemed as though it might be possible. The only thing my daughter would like to keep doing is Cross Country, but she wants it to be organized and have an element of competition, otherwise she could just go out and run on her on.

The one other thing is being in a play once per year. That is important and might be tough to figure out. How does a kid who is so good at math get so much entertainment out of drama?
02-23-2015 05:01 PM
JMUDukes1750 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
I was apart of the first 4 year graduating class of a technology academy. Seeing as the program was new, it really wasn't organized that well.

I went for the engineering program because at the time, I thought that was what I was going to do, because I was always top in the class in math and science, and it was intriguing. The program wasn't separate from the HS, so I just took one class a year for the program, and co-mingled with the rest of the school. We had opportunities to get an Associates Degree along with our HS diploma, but it would be partnered with the CC, or a partnership with local Vocational schools that we would have to pay. I didn't pursue this option.

I was able to participate in after school stuff involving building a robot for competitions, and I shadowed an engineering professor at ODU for a semester. However, by the time junior year came around, I realized I didn't want anything to do with engineering, and decided I wanted to play baseball instead of doing the robotics competition. Ended up majoring in business, and couldn't be happier.

When it comes to your daughter's program, the only thing I would be worried about is what happened to me my junior, and losing her passion for engineering (which I assume is the only thing offered). I wouldn't want her to be stuck in a program when she no longer wants to study in that field.
02-23-2015 05:31 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2015 05:31 PM)JMUDukes1750 Wrote:  I was apart of the first 4 year graduating class of a technology academy. Seeing as the program was new, it really wasn't organized that well.

I went for the engineering program because at the time, I thought that was what I was going to do, because I was always top in the class in math and science, and it was intriguing. The program wasn't separate from the HS, so I just took one class a year for the program, and co-mingled with the rest of the school. We had opportunities to get an Associates Degree along with our HS diploma, but it would be partnered with the CC, or a partnership with local Vocational schools that we would have to pay. I didn't pursue this option.

I was able to participate in after school stuff involving building a robot for competitions, and I shadowed an engineering professor at ODU for a semester. However, by the time junior year came around, I realized I didn't want anything to do with engineering, and decided I wanted to play baseball instead of doing the robotics competition. Ended up majoring in business, and couldn't be happier.

When it comes to your daughter's program, the only thing I would be worried about is what happened to me my junior, and losing her passion for engineering (which I assume is the only thing offered). I wouldn't want her to be stuck in a program when she no longer wants to study in that field.

You are right, it is the only thing offered. Its totally centered around engineering.
02-23-2015 05:35 PM
Advertisement

Pitz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes.
From a social standpoint, my biggest question is not so much about her high school experience, but rather her college experience after this 13th grade. Would she attend a typical four-year university like JMU and get to do the whole freshmen orientation and freshman dorm living, or would she be treated like a transfer student and perhaps miss out on that?

I'd guess that close to 3/4 of my JMU friends all trace back to social connections formed freshman year. The rest of you drunks I met in P Lot.
02-23-2015 10:03 PM
jjthebutcher Offline
Special Teams

It's the high school that cost the superintendent his job...
02-23-2015 10:34 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2015 10:34 PM)jjthebutcher Wrote:  It's the high school that cost the superintendent his job...

Yea, he kind of over spent getting the building built. Got to say, its nice. There is certainly nothing lacking over there. Pretty typical of the way most government officials do things. It will take 5 years to have the full complement of students, but they bought everything as if 500 students were going to be there the first year.

Like the Rocky River High School. They had the complete building, football field, stands, everything completely ready to use, then decided to let it sit for two years until they had the budget to hire teachers. I passed by that school on 485 everyday wondering what year it would finally open. Then they bused kids in from the Garinger area when they opened it. Now, the cops practically live there. They did the same to Vance when it opened, now they can't get the better kids to even consider it. Two of the biggest and nicest schools in the CMS system and kids get hauled to jail everyday from both.
02-23-2015 11:52 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

I agree with the concerns of a number of other posters on here...

- With such a narrow focus on engineering, if that is not her passion for the rest of her life, then many of the benefits will be lost.
- High school is not only about the classes. You've got the social aspect. Does she get along with her current classmates? If she has a good core of friends now, it will be very hard to maintain those friendships if they are at a different school. You also mentioned cross country and drama - both great experiences which this new school will have trouble matching.
- And then, again, there will be the chaos of a newer school. Trust me, as someone who is a teacher at a "start-up", the plans of a school can evolve quite quickly at the beginning. You don't really know what kind of classes will be offered 3 years from now. You don't know how successfully the upper students will integrate into the college...and whether they will even be accepted by what will be their peers. (These 13th Graders will still be considered high schoolers even though they will be the same age as the college freshmen...will there be an unintended social stigma to that?)
02-24-2015 02:43 AM
bulldogg Offline
1st String

I believe the "standard" public school experience most kids get these days is horrible. The school you are considering sounds like a much better alternative. Go for it!
02-24-2015 03:32 AM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2015 02:43 AM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  I agree with the concerns of a number of other posters on here...

- With such a narrow focus on engineering, if that is not her passion for the rest of her life, then many of the benefits will be lost.
- High school is not only about the classes. You've got the social aspect. Does she get along with her current classmates? If she has a good core of friends now, it will be very hard to maintain those friendships if they are at a different school. You also mentioned cross country and drama - both great experiences which this new school will have trouble matching.
- And then, again, there will be the chaos of a newer school. Trust me, as someone who is a teacher at a "start-up", the plans of a school can evolve quite quickly at the beginning. You don't really know what kind of classes will be offered 3 years from now. You don't know how successfully the upper students will integrate into the college...and whether they will even be accepted by what will be their peers. (These 13th Graders will still be considered high schoolers even though they will be the same age as the college freshmen...will there be an unintended social stigma to that?)

She does have a good core group of friends, but unlike the way I grew up in a small town where everyone follows everyone else to the next level, in Charlotte as in most large cities, there are about 5 to 1 middle schools to high schools, therefore, all her friends are being broken up as well. Though, most will be carrying one or two relationships into their high school. Should we choose this UNCC program, there will be no one she knows on the first day. However, this will be the same for all of the students who have been given this opportunity. I seriously, doubt anyone will have an existing relationship, due to coming from 50 - 60 different middle schools.
02-24-2015 08:53 AM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

I was part of slightly (very slightly) similar program specifically for 12 seniors at my HS and 12 from a neighboring HS. I took classes from 8-11am at a CC and then took 1 class at my HS every day. I received 26 credits without having to take an AP test which was absolutely the best part of the program. The teachers taught the class as a hybrid of HS and college classes so it helped my transition to college. Instead of the homework assignments that you copy in home room every morning (my HS experience) the classes were mostly 3 tests and a paper/project (similar to many college classes). Obv, I had more experience pulling all nighters than my freshman friends at JMU.

Specifically with the program you detail, I worry about the transition from 12/13th grade to a 4 year college. 60 credits makes it seem like you could get a bachelors degree in 2 years. However when you consider prerequisites (20 credits(?) for COB and I imagine similar for other colleges at JMU) and Gen Ed requirements I imagine it would still take 3 or 4 years to get a bachelors. I'm sure you could speed it up but the most valuable things I learned in college rarely came in the classroom. Basically, I think the typical 4 year college experience is more valuable (and unfortunately more costly) than the 2 years at CC and 2 years at college route that is becoming popular.

Dealing with the social aspect I spent 2 hours a day at HS my senior year (but did participate in 3 sports) and never felt "disconnected" from those friends.

My takeaway is it sounds very specific and quite possibly could be an amazing educational experience. But honestly other than getting into a better college, does a HS education really help you in life (for a person that is going on get a college education)? I would take the typical HS experience followed by the typical college experience over the one you detailed.

EDIT: I went to a HS with 550ish kids total, maybe 150 per grade. 1 public HS in the county. There was no falling through the cracks at my school which could be present in Charlotte. Teachers knew every student. That could change thing the decision making in your case.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 10:28 AM by DoubleDogDare.)
02-24-2015 09:44 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2015 03:32 AM)bulldogg Wrote:  I believe the "standard" public school experience most kids get these days is horrible. The school you are considering sounds like a much better alternative. Go for it!

This is my concern as well, especially in a large city. My wife and I grew up in high schools which had less than 1000. The Charlotte public high schools are 3 times that size. We both envision what we had, and that is just not available down here.

Though my daughter loves to participate and get involved, she is very small in statue and a bit on the quiet side. She is the type who loves the act of going to school and being with people, learning, and challenging herself. She arrives and gives hugs to her close friends as if its been months since last seeing them. She is an only child so this definitely plays into her behavior.

She is actually a teacher's dream. I don't believe she will ever develop teacher student relationships that she needs in the larger public schools. There are so many discipline problems, that a child like mine can easily be overlooked. After visiting this UNCC school, I can tell that will not be the case. Kids who come in with issues are sent back to their home/normally assigned school. Out of the 100 in the first class, two were not allowed to come back after the first semester. Though, we were told those two simply could not keep up the pace of learning.
02-24-2015 09:50 AM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

Many kids going from middle school to high school in the environment describe end up with a completely new set of friends anyway. This is what happened with my 3 kids and many of my friends kids as well. So she will make new friends in a high school with 2,000 kids or new friends in a high school of 100 kids. It is probably going to happen anyway. So, I would discount that from the evaluation.
02-24-2015 02:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.