Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Setting the Record Straight
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Setting the Record Straight
So.

Google the term "Ray L. Watts" - first pages include his UAB bio (the one about his visionary leadership), wikipedia, an al-dot-com puff piece, some assorted neurologist-search pages.

This term has been scrubbed. It appears Ray did indeed pay someone (or someone who contracted) for this service.

Now google "Ray Watts" - this one still has the official bio but is also full of talk of multiple no confidence votes, FireRayWatts.com, various forms of incompetence etc. Which is all missing from the more restrictive "Ray L. Watts."

This term has not been scrubbed. Whoever Ray paid (or paid to have paid) is an idiot or pack of idiots. And if it suddenly becomes scrubbed, well, you all know what that means.

So.

I know it's possible to correct this bland-ification via twitter storm; I do not have the expertise on how to accomplish this. I know a number of you do. How is the googleverse best set back to rights? 'cause we wouldn't want Ray to be getting any value for our money - he should feel like a Marshall swimmer just wet his bed and made off with his rent money: COGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGS
02-21-2015 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Setting the Record Straight
Is Watts still absent from all public events on campus, like the MBB games, etc.?
02-21-2015 02:04 PM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
I don't think he's getting any value out of the PR efforts at all. The moment Dr. Watts stood at that podium and announced that the teams were going away, he became the dissolution the same way UAB merely became the school that lost football. The day he permanently damaged his reputation, and, honestly, there's nothing he can do to rectify that.

PR wise, I don't think the folks he hired are idiots. It's just that there efforts are a waste of time and money. Limited his participation in events is just common sense at this point. They realized like we did, that Dr. Watts himself was the best advocate for our cause.

Fixing some PageRank results for a particular search string doesn't accomplish or change much of anything.
02-21-2015 02:10 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(02-21-2015 02:04 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Is Watts still absent from all public events on campus, like the MBB games, etc.?

Yes. The only events he is showing up at are events where he comes unexpected or ones where he has authority over others in attendance.
02-21-2015 02:11 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
He didn't go to games before, right?
02-21-2015 02:23 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-21-2015 02:10 PM)Hopeful Wrote:  Fixing some PageRank results for a particular search string doesn't accomplish or change much of anything.

And there is no evidence that has been done. Most people google "Ray Watts" not "Ray L. Watts", so none of the negative stuff will be ranked high under "Ray L. Watts"
02-21-2015 02:25 PM
Advertisement

Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

(02-21-2015 02:23 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  He didn't go to games before, right?

I've never seen him at any games.

Edit:

(02-21-2015 02:25 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(02-21-2015 02:10 PM)Hopeful Wrote:  Fixing some PageRank results for a particular search string doesn't accomplish or change much of anything.

And there is no evidence that has been done. Most people google "Ray Watts" not "Ray L. Watts", so none of the negative stuff will be ranked high under "Ray L. Watts"

True. I forgot to mention that. It's much more likely that it's a direct result of being a slightly different string, but, even if they did do something, it'd be in vain.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2015 02:31 PM by Hopeful.)
02-21-2015 02:29 PM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(02-21-2015 02:25 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

Party Pooper.
02-21-2015 02:53 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(02-21-2015 02:23 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  He didn't go to games before, right?

Yes, he did. He attended basketball games last season and could be seen standing and chanting de-fense. He still has a reserved seat, one often decked out in a Fire Ray Watts sticker this season. It's not far from where this year you could see 122-year-old Scotty McCallum standing and chanting Fire Ray Watts. He also attended football games this fall, accompanied by his armed guards.
02-21-2015 03:05 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(02-21-2015 02:10 PM)Hopeful Wrote:  PR wise, I don't think the folks he hired are idiots. It's just that there efforts are a waste of time and money.

They're pretty idiotic, at least PR-wise. But they weren't really hired for PR. They were hired to lobby the legislature, which is Mr. Heartsill's actual specialty. Unraveling their PR efforts interferes with that.
02-21-2015 03:10 PM
CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !

the last game I saw Watts at was just before the 12/2 bombshell. DMBlazer cornered him in the Green & Gold Room and let him have it! Watts called the UAB Police and claimed he was being harassed.
02-21-2015 03:27 PM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Welp, let us change the chant to Fire Ray L. Watts tonight.
02-21-2015 04:20 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-21-2015 03:05 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

Yes, he did. He attended basketball games last season and could be seen standing and chanting de-fense. He still has a reserved seat, one often decked out in a Fire Ray Watts sticker this season. It's not far from where this year you could see 122-year-old Scotty McCallum standing and chanting Fire Ray Watts. He also attended football games this fall, accompanied by his armed guards.

I missed a lot of games last year as I was working out of state, but he wasn't at any of the games I attended lastyear or this year. Someone sat in his seats a couple of games ago and I would bet it was one of his kids and their spouse/date.
02-21-2015 04:26 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-21-2015 02:11 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  
(02-21-2015 02:04 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Is Watts still absent from all public events on campus, like the MBB games, etc.?

Yes. The only events he is showing up at are events where he comes unexpected or ones where he has authority over others in attendance.

He's still attending UAB events, just not the ones everyone is invited to: http://www.uab.edu/news/student-experien...oorfeature
02-21-2015 04:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DM Blazer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: The Blazers

The two of you have a lot in common.
02-21-2015 05:31 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I saw him at the game where he was introduced as president.
02-21-2015 05:36 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-21-2015 05:31 PM)DMBLAZER Wrote:  

I'll be sure to personally let you know when I attend the next game. You seem to be obsessed with me. I'm sure it will make your day, ******
02-21-2015 05:41 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-21-2015 01:35 PM)58-56 Wrote:  So.

Google the term "Ray L. Watts" - first pages include his UAB bio (the one about his visionary leadership), wikipedia, an al-dot-com puff piece, some assorted neurologist-search pages.

This term has been scrubbed. It appears Ray did indeed pay someone (or someone who contracted) for this service.

Now google "Ray Watts" - this one still has the official bio but is also full of talk of multiple no confidence votes, FireRayWatts.com, various forms of incompetence etc. Which is all missing from the more restrictive "Ray L. Watts."

This term has not been scrubbed. Whoever Ray paid (or paid to have paid) is an idiot or pack of idiots. And if it suddenly becomes scrubbed, well, you all know what that means.

So.

I know it's possible to correct this bland-ification via twitter storm; I do not have the expertise on how to accomplish this. I know a number of you do. How is the googleverse best set back to rights? 'cause we wouldn't want Ray to be getting any value for our money - he should feel like a Marshall swimmer just wet his bed and made off with his rent money: COGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGSCOGS

I doubt this is an effect of some PR firm doing "google scrubbing" of any search terms. If someone had the ability to manipulate Google searches to that extent, they'd be billionaires. It is likely due to the fact that most stories, especially on blogs and Twitter and less "professional" media outlets just use "Ray Watts" in the text of a story, meaning those things do not show up when you make a more specific search of "Ray L. Watts" (or, show up lower in that search when there are "better" matches that do contain the middle initial)
02-21-2015 06:11 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(02-21-2015 06:11 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I doubt this is an effect of some PR firm doing "google scrubbing" of any search terms. If someone had the ability to manipulate Google searches to that extent, they'd be billionaires.

The services already exist. Here's a story about one chick getting her online rep fixed after posting a stupid photo:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/20...jon-ronson

You don't make the bad go away: you bury it under mountains of bland. This is exactly the type of service that the purported fee sked from Direct Communications described.

Regardless of whether you want to believe in coincidence or purpose: "Ray L. Watts" returns far too many positive or neutral results. To have ZERO results pointing to the no confidence vote or any other negative action on his part stretches coincidence, but it really doesn't matter.

We need to be making sure that stories telling the truth about Watts and his actions (the Andy Schwartz pieces, the Chronicle of Higher Ed piece etc.) are showing up on page 1, not that bland al-dot-com Who Is Ray Watts profile, or his make-Mussolini-blush official bio, or his neurology-search results.

If the puffery and the bland are all that show up, we're going to see more crap out there like the post from the BC equipment-management intern, with no knowledge of what has really happened here.

This is information warfare. And we are losing. The truth needs to be at the top of every google search.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2015 06:34 PM by 58-56.)
02-21-2015 06:32 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(02-21-2015 05:31 PM)DMBLAZER Wrote:  

High five on that one.
02-21-2015 07:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.