Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SB Nation: Can any of these non-powers keep Boise State from another New Year's Day b
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
SB Nation: Can any of these non-powers keep Boise State from another New Year's Day b
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...utah-state

#7 NIU ahead of UC

#4 will make the board go 03-hissyfit04-chairshot03-banghead03-lmfao01-wingedeagle
02-19-2015 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: SB Nation: Can any of these non-powers keep Boise State from another New Year's Day b
(02-19-2015 09:44 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...utah-state

#7 NIU ahead of UC

#4 will make the board go 03-hissyfit04-chairshot03-banghead03-lmfao01-wingedeagle

Meh. Honestly, I'm expecting more of this as we move closer to the start of the season. They'll be the media pick to win the MAC this year. As I've said before, the media is smitten with PJ and will elevate their ranking of WMU as a result of that.

The problem is, "top" recruiting classes don't win you games or championships. The writer also neglected to mention that WMU's 2 toughest conference games are both on the road, against us and Toledo, so it won't be an easy trek for them.
02-19-2015 09:53 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

RE: SB Nation: Can any of these non-powers keep Boise State from another New Year's Day b
I'd put NIU in the top 5 but they also play at Ohio state and will get clobbered and that could hurt them.

I think marshall takes a step back. Cato and his receivers are gonna be hard to replace.

Boise is by far the favorite. No disrespect to Louisiana Lafayette but no Brodway anymore and the sun belt sucks they don't deserve that high.

As for WMU until they beat NIU or Toledo hard to slot them above. Obviously good recruiter but we will see how that pans out. Also, Fleck has never been a part of a team that has even won a division let alone a conference besides his one year as a GA at Ohio State when they went to the BCS title game.

Takes a few chances of getting in the thick of it to get to that type of success. I don't see it happening.

I'd be surprised if Boise isn't head and shoulders above the rest of this group.
02-19-2015 10:26 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Yes! WMU is the greatest team ever! Thanks to PJ, they will be in the top 10 this year. My only problem with this is that WMU should be ranked #3 and Toledo should be ranked #2 because we all know that Toledo is the very best there is. I think it will be a battle between WMU and Toledo for who plays on New Year's Day!
02-19-2015 10:45 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
I have to agree with this article's conclusion. The team that is most likely going to keep Boise State from going to a New Year's day game is Boise State.

NIU is going to have much to prove after their preseason ranking is around 60 or so.
02-19-2015 10:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

(02-19-2015 10:45 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Yes! WMU is the greatest team ever! Thanks to PJ, they will be in the top 10 this year. My only problem with this is that WMU should be ranked #3 and Toledo should be ranked #2 because we all know that Toledo is the very best there is. I think it will be a battle between WMU and Toledo for who plays on New Year's Day!

New Years Day, nothing. I'm talking National Championship baby! of the WORLD!

03-lmfaoCOGS01-wingedeagle
02-19-2015 10:55 AM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
Doesn't bother me that RTB is ramked ahead of us. More fuel for when we play them in November IN DEKALB. It bothers me more to see the LaLas ranked ahead of us.

Facit is that the Huskies have a lot to prove (and improve on) after what happened in Boca Raton. Right now,we're not iwhere we wanna be, which is the top tier of G5 schools.
02-19-2015 11:03 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

WMU plays Michigan State, Ohio State, and Georgia Southern next year next year. They shouldn't be anywhere on the list.
02-19-2015 11:06 AM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

You have to think Toledo is pissed right now. They've been the pretty much annual August champion of Mid American Conference football for a very long time, and to see WMU coming for their crown has to be disheartening.

Nevertheless, I'll take my chances with us continuing to win the actual football games. Which is kind of important.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 11:50 AM by NIUHuskies86.)
02-19-2015 11:49 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Toledo will be just fine. Come August, I see them in a virtual tie with WMU for the coveted APC (August Pre-season Crown).
02-19-2015 11:52 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
WMU has accomplished diddly squat.
02-19-2015 12:11 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

We couldn't do diddly pooh on offense.
02-19-2015 12:11 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-19-2015 11:52 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Toledo will be just fine. Come August, I see them in a virtual tie with WMU for the coveted APC (August Pre-season Crown).

Yes, Rockets will be fine. Remember it was a down year because Toledo was going to miss Reedy, Fluellen, and Owens.
02-19-2015 12:19 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-19-2015 11:06 AM)7 Wrote:  WMU plays Michigan State, Ohio State, and Georgia Southern next year next year. They shouldn't be anywhere on the list.

RTB is ranked too high. But, the fact they have a tough schedule shouldn't be held against them before the games have been played.
02-19-2015 12:23 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(02-19-2015 12:11 PM)7 Wrote:  We couldn't do diddly pooh on offense.

"New Years Bowl!?!?!...don't talk about...New Years Bowl!?!? you kiddin' me!?! New Years Bowl!?! I just hope we can beat Toledo or NIU" - (What should be) PJ Fleck
02-19-2015 12:27 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(02-19-2015 12:23 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 11:06 AM)7 Wrote:  WMU plays Michigan State, Ohio State, and Georgia Southern next year next year. They shouldn't be anywhere on the list.

RTB is ranked too high. But, the fact they have a tough schedule shouldn't be held against them before the games have been played.

Why not? The question the writer asked, and the purpose of the article, was who was most likely to challenge Boise as the G5 rep in the New Year's Day Bowls for this season.

In essence, that means which teams are most likely to finish with 10-12 wins this season. Looking at the schedule shows that WMU is not likely to beat MSU or OSU, arguably the 2 best teams in the Big Ten, they have a tough game against Georgia Southern who went 9-3 and won the Sun Belt last year, and their two biggest MAC games are both on the road against NIU & Toledo. Based on this information, it is not unlikely that WMU could lose some, or all of those games and end up 9-3, 8-4, or 7-5, which isn't gonna be good enough to dethrone Boise.
02-19-2015 12:29 PM
Advertisement

armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Yeah...nice article Pete Volk
02-19-2015 12:30 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(02-19-2015 12:23 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  

Huh? Why not?
02-19-2015 12:33 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
Man, it's whining about meaningless prediction season already? And whining about whining season?
02-19-2015 12:46 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Toledo has everything set up for them this year with the schedule. If I had a vote in the preseason poll they would be my favorite to win the MAC. If they don't win it this year, they never will. As far as Boise, losing your star QB and star RB is a big big blow. I think they are overrated in this poll. Utah State would be my favorite for the big bowl this year.
02-19-2015 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.